F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Joining the ranks of those with problems
proTUNING Freaks

03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Joining the ranks of those with problems

Have had relatively painless ownership experience since July last year, but took the car in today for a steering problem to be looked at (noise on full left lock) and the gearbox whine in reverse.

- Front n/side wheel arch liner is damaged. £96 for a new one.
- They also noticed that the n/side rear alloy is badly buckled on the inside (I'm thinking pothole!), although there doesn't appear to be any damage to the tyre. £378 for a new one.
- They recommend a full KDS four wheel alignment. £162 all in.
- Also car is having a software update to rectify some problem although it's taking longer than expected.
- They have confirmed the gearbox whines in reverse and it shouldn't. Have contacted BMW to see what the next steps are. (I have the MY12 Sport Auto).
- Also something called a 'FEM' is having to be replaced as part of a fix for that model. If it fails it can screw up some electrical stuff, including the wipers.

Happy days...

EDIT
Oh and I have the rusty seat bases but I haven't mentioned them as I'm concerned about the risk of collateral damage of replacement.

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 03-19-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

That's aplenty IMO. But you must mention the rusty seatbases to them so that they have it on record.

I'll stick my hand under my s(h)eat bases tomorrow and see if I get brown fingers. Maybe I'll wear some rubber gloves just in case.
      03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
That's aplenty IMO. But you must mention the rusty seatbases to them so that they have it on record.

I'll stick my hand under my s(h)eat bases tomorrow and see if I get brown fingers. Maybe I'll wear some rubber gloves just in case.
Are you still talking about your car or something else here
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkata View Post
Are you still talking about your car or something else here
You and your filthy mind. My car obviously. Heaven forbid, I'm not a Catholic priest.
      03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Have had relatively painless ownership experience since July last year, but took the car in today for a steering problem to be looked at (noise on full left lock) and the gearbox whine in reverse.

- They also noticed that the n/side rear allow is badly buckled on the inside (I'm thinking pothole!), although there doesn't appear to be any damage to the tyre. £378 for a new one.
- Also car is having a software update to rectify some problem although it's taking longer than expected.
- They have confirmed the gearbox whines in reverse and it shouldn't. Have contacted BMW to see what the next steps are. (I have the MY12 Sport Auto).
- Also something called a 'FEM' is having to be replaced as part of a fix for that model. If it fails it can screw up some electrical stuff, including the wipers.

Happy days...

EDIT
Oh and I have the rusty seat bases but I haven't mentioned them as I'm concerned about the risk of collateral damage of replacement.
£96 for a bit of plastic!

KDS by BMW is extortionate... I remember being quoted £200 for my E46 a while back. Went on the tinternet to find a local(ish) garage that had the same identical Equipment. Cost £60 including fixing the alignment!

It's poor do considering it's a £30K+ car!!!!

Hope you get it all sorted, and i would mention the rusted seats...
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

- They also noticed that the n/side rear alloy is badly buckled on the inside (I'm thinking pothole!), although there doesn't appear to be any damage to the tyre. £378 for a new one.

Happy days...

EDIT
Ouch, how did the wheel arch liner get damaged? Is the £96 including fitting?

Not good hearing the gearbox issues, that is pretty major.

The FEM - Front Electronic Module, has a known fault on early cars. Surprised this hasn't been changed sooner.

Regarding the alignment, try STS Tyrepro dealers, some have a fancy laser alignment system....FOC to check alignment, they charge you to correct each fault. Great to check whether there is something out of alignment.

Bet your gutted to have to fork out all that money for wheel and liner.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

NISFAN: You have not told us about your major problem.
      03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
NISFAN: You have not told us about your major problem.
I have no problem ...............life is just peachy
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Jeez that's quite an extensive list! My 328i Luxury (also on 398's) as you know is only a month older than yours, so here's hoping I don't get anything like this on my first service!! I haven't noticed any problems with the steering and nor do I have a gearbox whine so fingers crossed.
My seat bases however, are showing some rust. Haven't looked under for a couple months actually, I should check again really and have them done at service, which is still a decent distance away by the looks.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Ouch, how did the wheel arch liner get damaged? Is the £96 including fitting?

The FEM - Front Electronic Module, has a known fault on early cars. Surprised this hasn't been changed sooner.

Regarding the alignment, try STS Tyrepro dealers, some have a fancy laser alignment system....FOC to check alignment, they charge you to correct each fault. Great to check whether there is something out of alignment.

Am a bit puzzled as to how the wheel arch liner got damaged. Apparently it's cracked and fouling the wheel on full left lock. Was told they could do a temporary repair but it probably wouldn't last. £96 is fitted price tho. Wonder if it happened when I clipped the kerb avoiding that woman on her mobile. At the time they repaired the front n/side alloy but never mentioned anything about the liner.

The gearbox whine in reverse really isn't that pronounced just that I knew it wasn't there when the car was new so I wanted it checked out. I'm not alone in having this problem, other members have mentioned it in this thread here and looks like the fix will probably be a new box. Just hope this isn't the start of further problems as a new box sounds like major surgery.

As to the four-wheel alignment, £162 is actually discounted - was told it would normally be over double that! There is a place not far from me that I've been buying tyres from for about 15-20 years (ever since I had my first Renault 5GT Turbo ). They've been really good although never had them do an alignment. Seems they have a Hunter DSP 400 according to their website. Don't know if this is any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Jeez that's quite an extensive list! My 328i Luxury (also on 398's) as you know is only a month older than yours, so here's hoping I don't get anything like this on my first service!! I haven't noticed any problems with the steering and nor do I have a gearbox whine so fingers crossed.
My seat bases however, are showing some rust. Haven't looked under for a couple months actually, I should check again really and have them done at service, which is still a decent distance away by the looks.
Yeah was thinking our cars are very similar in spec/age. My car has been in before today, but this is the first time they've mentioned the FEM replacement and the car needing a software update to address some 'problems' so maybe that's waiting for you on your next visit My next (first) service isn't due for another 15K miles so wonder if the FEM & software issues would have prompted them to get me to take the car in before then?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Hi Rob hope the dealer gets teh box sorted out along with the module. Once its coming out make sure the alignment is done properly and make them agree on any minor corrections sorted out before you take the car out as you are paying £162.

From the e90 forum which was helpful for me to get my E90 alignments done was http://www.alignmycar.co.uk find the one near you. Also the hunter machine which is in the nearby tyre shop to your place is the one which is being used by BMW dealers as well for 4 wheel alignment. I generally get a 4 wheel alignment and balancing every 10-12K miles as i do 20K+ miles a year and as mentioned above most places to check wont charge you but for adjustment it is.

All the best
      03-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Ouch, how did the wheel arch liner get damaged? Is the 96 including fitting?

Am a bit puzzled as to how the wheel arch liner got damaged. Apparently it's cracked and fouling the wheel on full left lock. Was told they could do a temporary repair but it probably wouldn't last. 96 is fitted price tho. Wonder if it happened when I clipped the kerb avoiding that woman on her mobile. At the time they repaired the front n/side alloy but never mentioned anything about the liner.

The gearbox whine in reverse really isn't that pronounced just that I knew it wasn't there when the car was new so I wanted it checked out. I'm not alone in having this problem, other members have mentioned it in this thread here and looks like the fix will probably be a new box. Just hope this isn't the start of further problems as a new box sounds like major surgery.

As to the four-wheel alignment, 162 is actually discounted - was told it would normally be over double that! There is a place not far from me that I've been buying tyres from for about 15-20 years (ever since I had my first Renault 5GT Turbo ). They've been really good although never had them do an alignment. Seems they have a Hunter DSP 400 according to their website. Don't know if this is any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yeah was thinking our cars are very similar in spec/age. My car has been in before today, but this is the first time they've mentioned the FEM replacement and the car needing a software update to address some 'problems' so maybe that's waiting for you on your next visit My next (first) service isn't due for another 15K miles so wonder if the FEM & software issues would have prompted them to get me to take the car in before then?
Oh god, don't say that! I'm confident...
Mind you, I'm not fussed either way. My car is on a full maintainence contract, plus warranty obviously and my dealership is an absolute dream. Now not many can say that, eh? Naturally, I do hope my car has no problems and I don't need to be without it, but if not, gimmie a loaner for a day or two as they previously have done. Unless I get M or >6 Series, it'll make my 328i feel fabulous when i get it back!!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I've just had a good feel under the seats and no browning of the fingers.
      03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
- Wheelarch liner sorted. Seems it was just the rear section that needed replacing which was £36 + £43 labour + VAT.
- Damaged rear alloy replaced. £301 + VAT. Asked to keep the old wheel so I can 'discuss' it with the local council.
- In the end they did the KDS alignment for £99. Interestingly nothing was out of tolerance before they did the adjustments, but good to get it checked. Will look for a place with the laser system as part of annual maintenance routine.
- Software update done to fix whatever it was needed fixing. Black panel display now shows BMW logo which it didn't do before... and my traffic display worked for the first time in weeks
- FEM replaced under Quality Enhancement Campaign.

Regards the gearbox whine in reverse, BMW have told them to replace the gearbox. The unit is on back order and they'll need the car for a couple of days so think I might mention the rusty seat base problem when I take it back in - can't be doing with brown fingers

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you got it all sorted now Rob.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Suppose I'll be happier when the gearbox is done Now I know it has a problem, I'm a bit put off driving any real distance (e.g. a 600-700 mile round trip to North Yorkshire is out).

Had a look at the buckled wheel today. Bit difficult to see in the photo but it's definitely flattened in one part (at the top of the photo where the black line is on the rim). Going to be a tough one claiming it off the council.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Doesn’t look too bad....i’m sure if you wanted to a local garage could straighten it out for a very small fee…typical BMW charging for a whole new alloy. The missus had a flat on her car...transpired the wheel was bent (bit worse than yours) most probably due to our sh*tty roads and they repaired it free of charge….it’s as good as new and it’sbeen fine since. If it’s fixed you could use it as a full size spare (if our cars have room for it…it haven’t looked!).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Good to hear its now sorted. (Well most of it)...

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
It's gone in today for its new gearbox and for the brake squeal to be sorted.

As to the courtesy car, I can barely contain my excitement!

Have to say that on this loaner the ASS is really intrusive because it takes a second to restart then there seems to be a lull while it engages before you can pull away, so there's a good 2s gap between taking your foot off the brake and moving forward.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

If you give that loaner 116i plenty of revs it does move ok .......... not sure how I know that but a lot of dealers seem to use them as Courtesy Cars
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I've driven 3 F30s and 1 F10 and all had a bit of a whine while backing up. Not huge but I can hear it. Also my neighbor got an X3 a few weeks back and I can hear her auto trans whine a bit when she backs out of driveway.

So, some whine is characteristic of this auto trans. I guess if the whine is really loud, thats another story. Good luck with the swap. let us know how it goes.

I agree with F30AM and let dealer know about the rusty seat frames. They can be replaced painlessly if a competent and patient person does the job. Certainly easier than the trans replacement.

That wheel looks suspect. Do you recall hitting anything real hard? I'd wonder if the wheel was damaged in transit, etc. and you never noticed... Get the wheel straightened and keep as a backup. Its not a difficult repair to straighten.
      04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
If you give that loaner 116i plenty of revs it does move ok .......... not sure how I know that but a lot of dealers seem to use them as Courtesy Cars
My heart sank when they ushered me over to the 116i but I have to confess the engine doesn't feel that bad. As you say, give it the beans and it's more than enough for keeping up with the flow. I also forgot just how 'chuckable' the 1 Series feels. The big downer is that it's got no extras whatsoever, plus going from a HUD car to a non-HUD car feels really weird.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0