M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Intakes for the F10 M5

Whats the deal with tuners and a intake for our car? GruppeM= $3500? Really thats it? Our only option? First of all thats just ridiculous for a intake. I don't care thats it's CF and I don't care if I had a billion in the bank. Just goes against my principles. Maybe if it produced 40+HP and sounded sick.

Anyway, this car has been out in other countries for over a year and in the US for over 6 months, whats the deal?

The other option is the BMC drop in. I read some posts on the forums. $200.00 each, really? With no real description of an increase in power. Someone said sound changed? Anyone else agree? Someone said sound changed removing the charcoal filters. I did it too and it's very slight at best.

I implore your insight or recommendations in this matter.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Whats the deal with tuners and a intake for our car? GruppeM= $3500? Really thats it? Our only option? First of all thats just ridiculous for a intake. I don't care thats it's CF and I don't care if I had a billion in the bank. Just goes against my principles. Maybe if it produced 40+HP and sounded sick.

Anyway, this car has been out in other countries for over a year and in the US for over 6 months, whats the deal?

The other option is the BMC drop in. I read some posts on the forums. $200.00 each, really? With no real description of an increase in power. Someone said sound changed? Anyone else agree? Someone said sound changed removing the charcoal filters. I did it too and it's very slight at best.

I implore your insight or recommendations in this matter.
Agreed. Total waste. I mod my cars heavily and spare no expense for quality that has value, but this is one I would never see value in. I believe that some of these see minimal power gains and different notes simply due to the charcoal filter delete. This was what I experienced on my E60 and on my F10. Open your airbox, remove the charcoal filters and there you have the same results for free. $3,500-ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
No need for any intake system on these cars at all.

Drop in BMC filters and remove charcoal filters is all you need...the price is 164 Euros for both filters for the F10 M5. Just ordered them last week.

I order them directly from Italy and I have done this with all my previous and current M cars.

Previous - 02 E39 M5 (BMC) and 06 E60 M5 (BMC + remove charcoal filters)

Current - 12 E92 M3 (BMC) and 13 F10 M5 (BMC + remove charcoal filters will be done when the BMC filters arrive)

Overall power gain is negligible. Definitely induction noise more or less depending on the car, on the e92 M3 the induction noise is music to the ears along with the exhaust note. Throttle response improves but it varies from car to car, and it depends your sensitivity. Just improving air flow, justifies this mod. This is my experience with NA cars, when I install them in the F10 M5 I will report on it.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

Afe makes a Kit... Pretty reasonable $800 or so made of plastic..That being said..

Pay Or make your own parts

Telling a company you don't want to spend the money is as easy as not buying it. The fact we start with a $100,000+ car is why we don't see parts at a reasonable price.. Smaller market for sale as well as harder to get a car for R&D etc etc....

You all have the cars... Make the intakes and see how many you sell... The carbon work on my Gruppe M intakes makes me pop my hood and smile on my otherwise stock engine bay.. Have you guys heard of art?
The down pipes will be another part in the art piece that is under my hood and they will be worth every penny...

To each there own is all you need to know.

Aloha
Alex
      03-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
I think ur missing the point Alex. Its the concept of making it more affordable and selling a ton of them to offset r&d. But that being said, you bring up a very valid point that there are a lot less m5s on the road than civics or even 335s, which you can find a $100 intake option out there for, mainly BC there are so many of them on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
GhanemMBN
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: MB SLS AMG & BMW X5M

BMCs are good, very slight power gain, we tested it before and after on MAHA DYNO the hp increase was about 4 hp . GruppeM's hp gain was slightly more than bmc, but the engine really sounds different.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
I think ur missing the point Alex. Its the concept of making it more affordable and selling a ton of them to offset r&d. But that being said, you bring up a very valid point that there are a lot less m5s on the road than civics or even 335s, which you can find a $100 intake option out there for, mainly BC there are so many of them on the roads.
The "point" Is not missed.

Its not valid. Its just whining from the peanut gallery.. The companies that use less expensive third world labor to cut prices don't see the M5 as a market. Sorry...

Please see my point

Make your own parts (Help the community) or ......Stop whining. LOL not trying to be mean but if you understand supply and demand then you can see how few intake systems you would sell on a market like the M5?...
(High Quality+Low demand)=high price

As I said make your own and prove me wrong, It is not just the price but the quality/functionality/future HP with tunes turbo upgrades and other performance upgrades where things like a free flowing intake and exhaust play a factor.

Even drop in filters will cost 0ver $100

Aloha
Alex
      03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
The "point" Is not missed.

Its not valid. Its just whining from the peanut gallery.. The companies that use less expensive third world labor to cut prices don't see the M5 as a market. Sorry...

Please see my point

Make your own parts (Help the community) or ......Stop whining. LOL not trying to be mean but if you understand supply and demand then you can see how few intake systems you would sell on a market like the M5?...
(High Quality+Low demand)=high price

As I said make your own and prove me wrong, It is not just the price but the quality/functionality/future HP with tunes turbo upgrades and other performance upgrades where things like a free flowing intake and exhaust play a factor.

Even drop in filters will cost 0ver $100

Aloha
Alex
This is just getting stupid now. Look man if you want to spend $3500.00 on a filter system that hardly yields any gains or sounds, thats your business. It is very pretty to look at but gathering all the feedback on this forum, thats the most positive thing I can say about it. So in my opinion $3500.00 is crazy so I can show off under my hood when randomly ever opened. Like you said; To each is own.

On the E60 there were a few different option at all different prices. People could buy one to meet their own desires. That is not available with this car. The E60 and the F10 are only different in a few thousand dollars in price so it's not like as consumers we are in a such a different market segment. So I don't know why anyone is bringing up Civics and their shitty intake systems.

All I wanted to know was if there are other systems out there I don't know about besides GruppeM and BMC drop ins. If the BMC is the only reasonable thing to purchases what are the experiences and feedback regarding it. My biggest question is..Is there a noticeable difference between BMC drop in, and just removing the charcoal filters. Sound, or performance. Most importantly sound because 4-5 HP in a car thats 550+ is not going to noticed really.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Mild to Wild Mods

Quote:
This is just getting stupid now. Look man if you want to spend $3500.00 on a filter system that hardly yields any gains or sounds, thats your business. It is very pretty to look at but gathering all the feedback on this forum, thats the most positive thing I can say about it. So in my opinion $3500.00 is crazy so I can show off under my hood when randomly ever opened. Like you said; To each is own.

On the E60 there were a few different option at all different prices. People could buy one to meet their own desires. That is not available with this car. The E60 and the F10 are only different in a few thousand dollars in price so it's not like as consumers we are in a such a different market segment. So I don't know why anyone is bringing up Civics and their shitty intake systems.

All I wanted to know was if there are other systems out there I don't know about besides GruppeM and BMC drop ins. If the BMC is the only reasonable thing to purchases what are the experiences and feedback regarding it. My biggest question is..Is there a noticeable difference between BMC drop in, and just removing the charcoal filters. Sound, or performance. Most importantly sound because 4-5 HP in a car thats 550+ is not going to noticed really.
I can see both sides of this very easily. But, I also see that there are very few parts for our cars and some of these high quality parts are both beautiful as well as provide a little bit of hp to justify the purchase. Just bought a front lip spoiler that does not give me any extra hp but it sure will look slick on my car.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I can see both sides of this very easily. But, I also see that there are very few parts for our cars and some of these high quality parts are both beautiful as well as provide a little bit of hp to justify the purchase. Just bought a front lip spoiler that does not give me any extra hp but it sure will look slick on my car.
Cosmetic improvements are different IMO. You can buy wheels for 2 grand or 10...They both are round.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

I did the BMC's and charcoal delete. Im very happy. Its simple and cheap.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
I did the BMC's and charcoal delete. Im very happy. Its simple and cheap.
Any noticeable difference in sound?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

My Meisterschaft exhaust definitely came alive a bit more. Car is slightly more responsive. My BMW tech at the dealer did this mod on his M5 as well. Also noticed the same differences. If he did it on his own car, I felt comfortable doing it on mine. Certainly no downsides. I did the BMC's and charcoal delete at the same time so I couldnt tell you which was most responsible for the improvement.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
My Meisterschaft exhaust definitely came alive a bit more. Car is slightly more responsive. My BMW tech at the dealer did this mod on his M5 as well. Also noticed the same differences. If he did it on his own car, I felt comfortable doing it on mine. Certainly no downsides. I did the BMC's and charcoal delete at the same time so I couldnt tell you which was most responsible for the improvement.
Plus you have the exhaust so they work hand in hand. Well anyway, thank your for your insight. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep

Quote:

All I wanted to know was if there are other systems out there I don't know about besides GruppeM and BMC drop ins.AFE!
If the BMC is the only reasonable thing to purchases? $300+???? For drop ins what are the experiences and feedback regarding it. My biggest question is..Is there a noticeable difference between BMC drop in, and just removing the charcoal filters. Sound, or performance. Most importantly sound because 4-5 HP in a car thats 550+ is not going to noticed really.
The sound from my gruppe M's is amazing as well as my full eissenmann race. Power wise I could loose it and not care!... But with a tune Downpipes and other mods it will come into play more

Civic stock intakes are much like the F10 as they are very efficient. Not to say you cant replace either with just a $40 cone filter.. Well 2 $40 filters for the F10... that doesn't mean more power for either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
HP is not everything!
Enjoy

Quote:
Cosmetic improvements are different IMO. You can buy wheels for 2 grand or 10...They both are round.
Actually its the same... Name and resources dictate price!

On the E60 there were a few different option at all different prices. People could buy one to meet their own desires. That is not available with this car?

Drop in filters,AFE,Gruppe M.... Looks like it already started
      03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
Drop in filters,AFE,Gruppe M.... Looks like it already started
I went on AFE's website and they have nothing available for the F10
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank
Afe makes a Kit... Pretty reasonable $800 or so made of plastic..That being said..

Pay Or make your own parts

Telling a company you don't want to spend the money is as easy as not buying it. The fact we start with a $100,000+ car is why we don't see parts at a reasonable price.. Smaller market for sale as well as harder to get a car for R&D etc etc....

You all have the cars... Make the intakes and see how many you sell... The carbon work on my Gruppe M intakes makes me pop my hood and smile on my otherwise stock engine bay.. Have you guys heard of art?
The down pipes will be another part in the art piece that is under my hood and they will be worth every penny...

To each there own is all you need to know.

Aloha
Alex
The downpipes ARE worth every penny-got 'em.

Still $3500 on something you see under the hood only? Questionable. I mod my car pretty heavily. Wouldn't go so far as to call it "art". I call it "pretty cool" and "money pissed away"-lol!

End of the day I respect your point (although not so much your freak out-lol) If YOU like it that is really all that matters man. I waste a lot of $ on stuff for my car and I don't care who likes it. As long as I go out to the garage and go "ooh...ahh".

Most mods are ridiculously overpriced. Gotta admit a couple pieces of carbon for $3500 is sort of off the charts. I can't speak though as I'll be buying the Vorsteiner kit soon :-) should go well with my HREs!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #18
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If I remember correctly RPI had ram air scoops on the E60 M5 and they gained around 30bhp with that. The Gruppe M has similar scoops and I am quite sure when you get to higher speeds (not dyno) you will get a lot more air into your engine. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 30 bhp on an F10M5. I hope someone will have the chance to measure the increase, and we have a realistic verdict.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Are RPI scoops available for our cars yet?
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Are RPI scoops available for our cars yet?
I believe theyre still being developed currently =)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
If I remember correctly RPI had ram air scoops on the E60 M5 and they gained around 30bhp with that. The Gruppe M has similar scoops and I am quite sure when you get to higher speeds (not dyno) you will get a lot more air into your engine. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 30 bhp on an F10M5. I hope someone will have the chance to measure the increase, and we have a realistic verdict.
There was not a 30 hp gain. Also, these are turbos creating pressure. Not sure there is any difference as with normally aspirated and air directed into the box.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

A little while ago, I had contact K&N regarding to if they will develop a pair of air filters or an intake system for the F10 M5. They told me that they don't have a confirmed answer yet. I signed up for the follow up notice system so if they make something for our M5s, I should get an email or phone call. I know that many people have had issues against K&N products. Personally I had used them on all my cars in the past (10+) and I was satisfied. They didn't and shouldn't make any noticeable power gain though. Price-wise has also been reasonable. I could get a pair of air K&N filters for my 911 @ $100. Not bad while others cost way more. Anyways, I will report back if I do hear from them.