E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Diagnose my problem! 335i

02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
shane732
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i M-Sport

Diagnose my problem! 335i

Ok so I'm driving a 2008 335i and I'm getting a bit of a rattling noise from a cold start in the morning.

Hear is a link to a sound similar to what mine is making....

So is it a valve problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Wow I don't think my '07 does that but I will check...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Are you really in Ireland? What is the road tax on that beast. Check out this link. It is your problem.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
WhatADream
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan 09'

You shouldnt have modded it! lol jk.
Myn does that too intermitently. I had BMW and my indy shop guy look into it, and they said that BMW had a hydrolic lifter problem that was updated. Apparently, myn has the updated lifters and it still ticked sometimes, rarely
Im guessing because of the way BMW has their variable valve timing setup with the VANOS solonoids, and use oil pressure to regulate, it could just be off a bit.
A quick rev will help stabilize it.
Check your oil levels, and oil pressure.
My was ticking when my oil levels were low, and I had a massive oil leak in a failed turbo causing a loss in oil pressure. But that was fixed and I havent heard a tick since...
      02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

sounds like the hydraulic lifters to me, it sounds way worse than it actually is. My n52 does this, not as loud, on cold starts now and again. once everything worms up it should stop. I believe it due to a lack of oil/oil pressure in the hydraulic lifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
shane732
Private First Class
Rep

Here's a video of mine:

I think it's an hydraulic valve lifter as well. When the problem started I quick rev of the engine used to sort the problem out. However, revving the engine isn't as successful any more.

Is it a big job to replace the hydraulic valve lifter? Is replacing the lifters a successful fix?

Also is the thread linked above not specifically for NA cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
shane732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
Are you really in Ireland? What is the road tax on that beast. Check out this link. It is your problem.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504
Yup I'm in Ireland. Road tax is €1,600 or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
shane732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
sounds like the hydraulic lifters to me, it sounds way worse than it actually is. My n52 does this, not as loud, on cold starts now and again. once everything worms up it should stop. I believe it due to a lack of oil/oil pressure in the hydraulic lifter.
Yea, it only seems to be from a cold start. When I start the car warm I don't get the same problem.

It's annoying as hell to hear it though!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
shane732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatADream View Post
You shouldnt have modded it! lol jk.
Myn does that too intermitently. I had BMW and my indy shop guy look into it, and they said that BMW had a hydrolic lifter problem that was updated. Apparently, myn has the updated lifters and it still ticked sometimes, rarely
Im guessing because of the way BMW has their variable valve timing setup with the VANOS solonoids, and use oil pressure to regulate, it could just be off a bit.
A quick rev will help stabilize it.
Check your oil levels, and oil pressure.
My was ticking when my oil levels were low, and I had a massive oil leak in a failed turbo causing a loss in oil pressure. But that was fixed and I havent heard a tick since...
Can isn't modded at all! It's stock!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane732 View Post
Here's a video of mine:

I think it's an hydraulic valve lifter as well. When the problem started I quick rev of the engine used to sort the problem out. However, revving the engine isn't as successful any more.

Is it a big job to replace the hydraulic valve lifter? Is replacing the lifters a successful fix?

Also is the thread linked above not specifically for NA cars?
It is a huge job to replace the lifters. The camshafts must be removed and they are hollow on the N54 and fragile. Without the proper tools there is a serious risk of breaking the camshafts on reinstallation. I think the N52 has solid camshafts and they are less likely to break.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Slavo335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i Couple AW/CR

i just dropped off my car on monday for the same noise thinkin about trading it in for a brand new evo x. awd ftw.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
I just picked up a 2010 335i E92 (PPK stage 2, PE exhaust, all the trimmings) with 28K on the odo and it makes this noise too on cold start. I've also noticed it on one occasion when fully warmed up after a few hours of highway driving. Also at idle. Blipping the throttle cleaned it right up and it didn't come back.

It passed its PPI, has a pretty clean service history (HPFP recall only) and pulls well so I doubt anything is malfunctioning but whatever it is, it is loud and will wear down over time. That said, this is my first N54 and my first DI motor so I don't know what's normal. The cold start noises it makes are disconcerting.

Debating whether or not to take it in. Seems at least a few people have had this problem for a while with little ill effect. From my research it's either lifter noise, injector noise, or WG rattle (it's more of a consistent 2x per sec tick for me so not sure about this one).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
shane732
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwood View Post
I just picked up a 2010 335i E92 (PPK stage 2, PE exhaust, all the trimmings) with 28K on the odo and it makes this noise too on cold start. I've also noticed it on one occasion when fully warmed up after a few hours of highway driving. Also at idle. Blipping the throttle cleaned it right up and it didn't come back.

It passed its PPI, has a pretty clean service history (HPFP recall only) and pulls well so I doubt anything is malfunctioning but whatever it is, it is loud and will wear down over time. That said, this is my first N54 and my first DI motor so I don't know what's normal. The cold start noises it makes are disconcerting.

Debating whether or not to take it in. Seems at least a few people have had this problem for a while with little ill effect. From my research it's either lifter noise, injector noise, or WG rattle (it's more of a consistent 2x per sec tick for me so not sure about this one).
It's generally quite consistent tick on mine too. The video isn't the best.

It's really starting to piss me off. I'm considering switching it at the moment.
Appreciate 0