E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Battery Register Minneapolis/Saint Paul

02-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
BMW24
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi Coupe

Battery Register Minneapolis/Saint Paul

Hey,

I just changed my OEM battery with an aftermarket battery with slightly different specs.

Is there anyone in the area that could register my new battery to my car?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am in Minneapolis area, but am still in the process of acquiring and setting up coding equip, i will not even have the hardware here for 2 weeks probably, then need to get the software set up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
cole92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: too much

Simple to do.

Open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
1. Open MSD80.prg
2. Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

as long as the battery is the same specs. If they are different, see this guide: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
grafpaper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Fellow 335 Mpls'er here. Do you guys know if there's a group that does group coding/etc. on weekends? Had a delightful experience at Motorwerks today where they quoted me $450 for a new battery... had to make the guy repeat himself when he told me about this battery registration nonsense.

Also - do either of you guys have any local independent shop recommendations?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Try Oor Autosport in Eden Prairie, I have been to their shop, they are extremely competent, but may be pricier than some other shops
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
grafpaper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Awesome... thanks for the recommendation. I'm beginning to feel like I need a second opinion at this point.

Angel Eyes / Taillights were not illuminating when I clicked unlock on the key FOB, which is why I was at the dealer to begin with. Dealer told me a I need both a new Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) and Battery. I OK'ed the IBS, but told him to hold off on the battery (the price he quoted raised a red flag). They replaced the IBS and when they returned the car to me, the lights were working as expected. A few days have gone by and they're no longer illuminating when I press "unlock." I suspect that the battery needs to be replaced (and needed to be replaced the whole time... not suggesting the dealer lied about this) but have no way of knowing whether or not the IBS actually needed replacing.

I feel like Motorwerks is just incompetent and instead of actually determining which part(s) were broken they recommended replacing everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

a faulty IBS can cause undercharging of the battery, leading to battery failure.

it is highly likely both the battery and IBS needed replacement

the IBS will send voltage signals to the DME, and if the battery reaches a critical state, OR the IBS sends a signal that does not make sense, the DME will tell other modules to deactivate certain functions in order to maintain engine start capability
Appreciate 0