F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Adaptive Suspension ? When lowering car with springs ...
GetBMWParts

02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Adaptive Suspension ? When lowering car with springs ...

Does the Adaptive suspension still work? I am ordering and need to decide on this option. I will be getting XDrive which means springs and shocks eventually. TIA-
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed
Does the Adaptive suspension still work? I am ordering and need to decide on this option. I will be getting XDrive which means springs and shocks eventually. TIA-
What do u mean by if they still work!?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

If you lower, they will work as long as you don't get new shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
To add to the confusion, here's my related question:

Are the struts/shocks the same on all adaptive suspensions (xdrive versus non xdrive) and is it mainly the springs causing the increased xdrive ride height?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Not all of it, but yes the springs on an I bring an XI to I height. Cheapest best way to get lower IMO. I would do a shock as well, but still unsure how that works with ADS.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
To add to the confusion, here's my related question:

Are the struts/shocks the same on all adaptive suspensions (xdrive versus non xdrive) and is it mainly the springs causing the increased xdrive ride height?
According to real oem the part numbers are different for the adaptive struts (xdrive vs normal RWD)...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

I'm lowered on H&R sports for over 8k miles and everything seems to work just fine

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
J-boogey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi Msport

from what I'm hearing if you get adaptive suspension than get coil-overs like H&R or KW the adaptive won't work anymore so if you go that route its a waste of money. Springs and adaptive I've heard work fine and well.
2013 F30 335i xdrive | Estoril Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Aluminum Hexagon trim | M-Sport | Cold weather | DHP | Premium package | Tech package | Harmon Kardon | PDC | Rearview Cam | IND Painted reflectors | BMW performance grills | JB4 stage 2 | ER downpipe | BMS Intake | H&R sport springs
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Well that's the idea.

The BMW adaptive suspension includes ONLY the adaptive dampers that have electronically controlled internal valves to alter damping capabilities as needed. The springs are like any other springs, they don't change their spring rate, and there is no change in ride height and no way to change it either.

As the poster above posted he has H&R springs with the adaptive dampers.
What I'm looking into doing is using the M Performance springs along with my M adaptive dampers on my 335i Msport.

I don't know if this would be better than going with other after market sport springs.
The M Performance springs are 10mm lower than what I have now so the slight reduction in ride height would not be that much and I don't want a slammed look.
Also, I don't know what the M Perf spring rates are. I do know that the M Perf springs are firmer than the sport springs.
BMW's site claims the M Perf springs are about 34% firmer than the sport springs.
That sounds perfect to me, not too firm and not too soft.
My stock sport springs feel too soft, a 34% increase should work quite nicely especially with the adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well that's the idea.

The BMW adaptive suspension includes ONLY the adaptive dampers that have electronically controlled internal valves to alter damping capabilities as needed. The springs are like any other springs, they don't change their spring rate, and there is no change in ride height and no way to change it either.

What I'm looking into doing is using the M Performance springs along with my M adaptive dampers on my 335i Msport.

I don't know if this would be better than going with other after market sport springs.
The M Performance springs are 10mm lower than what I have now so the slight reduction in ride height would not be that much and I don't want a slammed look.
Also, I don't know what the M Perf spring rates are. I do know that the M Perf springs are firmer than the sport springs.
BMW's site claims the M Perf springs are about 34% firmer than the sport springs.
My stock sport springs feel too soft, a 34% increase should work quite nicely especially with the adaptive dampers.
This sounds like a really good option... anxious to hear your feedback after you've completed the mod.
I am on the fence b/w an xDrive and a RWD 335. Either way, I'd opt for the M Adaptive suspension. But If I go with the xDrive, then I'd definitely like to go with a stiffer/lower spring as long as it still matches up well with the EDC-equipped dampers.
      06-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well that's the idea.

hey RPM - just got mine with this exact same intention. have you tried it out w these springs yet? hows the ride? detailed review would be awesome when you have a minute ... also plan on dumping these RFTs