Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Talking When will film die?

Lol, I don't care too much about the pending doom of film, just wanted to grab your attention.

Having to return to college to get a degree I should have gotten years ago, I decided to have work pay for my photography class whilst gunning for my engineering degree. Unfortunately, I have to take B/W film photography before I can take digital photography. It's not too bad, but man does it take a long time to process film. My hands are dry, wrinkled, and smell of chemicals.

The plus side is the knowledge gained at school has started to help me with my D40. For example, I now know how to manually adjust my aperture!!! I didn't know it was possible since my starter lens doesn't have an aperture ring. I suppose all digital lenses are like that, but I don't know for sure.

If things go well, I should be able to learn how to photograph not entirely sucky pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
Unfortunately, I have to take B/W film photography before I can take digital photography. It's not too bad, but man does it take a long time to process film.
Don't be so quick to blow off B&W. It allows you to focus on composition without the distraction of colors. If I was back in college and still had access to the photo lab, I'd only shoot B&W.
      08-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
+1 I think you will find that most digital photography classes concentrate on Photoshop exclusively while film classes teach you about composition and developing. Things like dodge and burn will be used in Photoshop and will help your skills a lot!
Good luck with the class!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like I didn't like B/W photography, it's just the first photography class I have to take. The composition and techniques of photography are cool, but the scene through the viewfinder is color for a film camera and a digital camera. I can always choose gray scale in Lightroom and work from a photo sans the distracting color.

It's just the digital photography class could be altered to include composition and technique while still requiring an introduction to B/W. My only real concern is the time it takes to develop film, while not terribly long, does not lend itself to the easy review of a digital camera. I would like to know if I got the shot right. I would assume with enough experience that I should know if the shot came out well regardless of camera type.

I do enjoy the class and I appreciate the well wishing. Who knows, if this is really the only class I need, since it was stated that digital photography class is centered around Photoshop, I may not need to take anything else after this. I do hope to learn a lot from the class and it's a nice break from multi. var. calc.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Kodak said it would stop making film in 2010... so right arround there
Appreciate 0