E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > long crank, ran crappy, restart, ran fine???

02-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

long crank, ran crappy, restart, ran fine???

Went to the mountains for a spirited drive Sunday and thought I was not going to make it.
20 something degrees outside, initial crank was a bit extended, not much, but the car was idling badly and was vibrating more than usual.

I drove it for a bit thinking temp was the issue. It ran terrible, upon accelerating it would vibrate as if a cylinder was not firing.

I have read all about fuel pumps and how long cranks are a sign of failure, but my car restarted quickly and ran perfectly after I stopped. As I understand the long cranks would continue if it were the fuel pump, correct?

I then enjoyed a day in the mountains flogging my car through the turns and have not seen the issue pop back up again.

I am going in for service in about 300 miles for oil, headlight washer covers, battery cable, and possibly brakes.
Any ideas of what it was or if they can prevent a future occurrence of this?

thanks,
mxa
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

What you saw can be, not necessarily must be, an early warning of a failing HPFP. When our's started to go, at first we only got occasional long cranks, then after a while, it would do it every time the car sat overnight. Then I got a really long one, car finally started and ran fine. Took it in at that point and it had been throwing codes for a while, according to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
What you saw can be, not necessarily must be, an early warning of a failing HPFP. When our's started to go, at first we only got occasional long cranks, then after a while, it would do it every time the car sat overnight. Then I got a really long one, car finally started and ran fine. Took it in at that point and it had been throwing codes for a while, according to the dealer.
so once you took it to the dealer they replaced the fuel pump without a problem because the car had thrown internal codes?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

sounds like HPFP to me, they don't normally go out all at once sometimes they show some shines that seems pretty similar to yours.

Could also be your plugs
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
dootlah
Banned
Rep
Drives: e30post.com

Rattling wastegate.
Appreciate 0