E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Update software in my E90 2007 non-idrive?

02-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
hems77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 520i M Sport

Update software in my E90 2007 non-idrive?

Hi

I'm trying to find out what's involved in updating the software in my car? Can someone with coding capabilities do this and what should I be looking for?

Also how do I find out what version it is now and what the latest version is for my car and what updates it provides???

The reason is I'm just curious to see if having the latest update gives me any improvements. Also I have Bluetooth in the car and when my iPhone is connected and I try to use Siri it doesn't work over the Bluetooth - Siri doesn't talk back over Bluetooth on the car speakers. My brother has a 2010 1 series and Siri works for him so I'm guessing as his car is newer it must have newer software?

Any help much appreciated? BTW I am in the Coventry area if anybody knows any local coders??

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hems77 View Post
Hi

I'm trying to find out what's involved in updating the software in my car? Can someone with coding capabilities do this and what should I be looking for?

Also how do I find out what version it is now and what the latest version is for my car and what updates it provides???

The reason is I'm just curious to see if having the latest update gives me any improvements. Also I have Bluetooth in the car and when my iPhone is connected and I try to use Siri it doesn't work over the Bluetooth - Siri doesn't talk back over Bluetooth on the car speakers. My brother has a 2010 1 series and Siri works for him so I'm guessing as his car is newer it must have newer software?

Any help much appreciated? BTW I am in the Coventry area if anybody knows any local coders??

Cheers
Siri needs A2DP, wont work in your 2007 car as it needs Combox or NBT..

Software update will not solve this, as hardware upgrade is required..
Not much is to gain from updating to latest on 2007 cars..

Software update for the car, you are better off finding an indy who would do it for you..

Rgds
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
hems77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
Siri needs A2DP, wont work in your 2007 car as it needs Combox or NBT..

Software update will not solve this, as hardware upgrade is required..
Not much is to gain from updating to latest on 2007 cars..

Software update for the car, you are better off finding an indy who would do it for you..

Rgds
Hhhmmm... not sure - I asked this question over in the Audio/Bluetooth section - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774722 - and other users said they had no issues on their 2007 cars with same bluetooth as mine.

Also I'm not sure Siri is passed over A2DP I think its the handsfree profile???

And I'm sure my brothers 1series doesn't have A2DP - he's not able to stream music from his iPhone to his head unit in the car.

I'm sure a good local indy will be able to do a software update, will be useful to know what improvements I can expect.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hems77 View Post
Hhhmmm... not sure - I asked this question over in the Audio/Bluetooth section - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774722 - and other users said they had no issues on their 2007 cars with same bluetooth as mine.

Also I'm not sure Siri is passed over A2DP I think its the handsfree profile???

And I'm sure my brothers 1series doesn't have A2DP - he's not able to stream music from his iPhone to his head unit in the car.

I'm sure a good local indy will be able to do a software update, will be useful to know what improvements I can expect.
I am sorry, I stand corrected.. Siri seems to use the Handsfree profile..Or it used to..

Do you have a ULF or a MULF? What is your production date?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
StevieB
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i SE

I have a iphone 5 and a 55 plate and I can hear Siri over Bluetooth. I have iDrive so not sure if that makes any difference.

Once you pair your phone through Bluetooth it should do it automatically.
      02-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
hems77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am sorry, I stand corrected.. Siri seems to use the Handsfree profile..Or it used to..

Do you have a ULF or a MULF? What is your production date?
No problem, thanks for your help.

I think my production date is January 2007, how do I check this?

As for ULF or MULF - how do I check this?

I also use a Blackberry Stereo Gateway for streaming music via A2DP - thought this might be the issue but even with this disconnected it still doesn't work.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Prod date

If you run your VIN through an online decoder, it should give you your production date..
If your Production date is before March 2007, then you have an ULF module..
It works with bluetooth, but not many functions are available compared to a MULF..

Maybe that could be the case.. Unfortunately, I am not that sure..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
hems77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you run your VIN through an online decoder, it should give you your production date..
If your Production date is before March 2007, then you have an ULF module..
It works with bluetooth, but not many functions are available compared to a MULF..

Maybe that could be the case.. Unfortunately, I am not that sure..
OK thanks for that - I'll give it a go and see what I have.

Strange - StevieB above has a 55 plate and works for him - but he does have idrive which may be different.
Appreciate 0