E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need your help regarding windows opening automatically!

11-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Exclamation Need your help regarding windows opening automatically!

As described in an earlier post, I had a problem with my windows/sunroof being spontaneously opened without me doing it and then it rained. BMW claims they have no records on file of this happenening to other people, but I know some of you chimed in that you've had similar experiences (thankfully without the rain).

The thing is that because I'm supposedly the first person to report this, they most likely aren't going to cover the damages and it is going to come out of my pocket/insurance, which pisses me off. In order to stop this I need those of you that did experience this to contact BMW and get a case # or to PM me your contact info so I can pass it onto BMW (who will then contact you directly).

Please, please, please, I need your help or I may get really screwed because of this damn glitch!
      11-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

How many times has this unfortunate window/sunroof opening happened?

I, for one have not had this happen to me.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

It happened to me once, but in the other thread I started (which I am too lazy to look up and link in) I had a variety of other people say it happened to them as well.
      11-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
here we go....i have no life.

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7542
      11-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Shure you or someone else didnt accidently press and hold the unlock button, causing the windows and roof to open ???

Had my car suddenly open its windows once while i was outside, but then found out someone had put 2 books down on my keys on a desk on the other side of the house, pressing the unlock button down
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I'm trying to think how you can prove this to them. It seems like it would end up being a "my word vs. your word" argument and BMW always wins those.

Especially since it's only happened once.

What's GEICO saying?

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Yeah - let's make sure this not our version of the "unintended acceleration" misadventure.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Yes, I have read about this unfortunate issue. I am sorry that I cannot be of direct help to you but if I can offer the foillowing.

Unless it happens on a pretty much consistent basis (and I'm glad it does not), BMW cannot diagnose such a one off issue. Many factors can come into play such as an electronic/electric glitch. Radio wave interference and the like.

We would all agree that the car isnt far short of being called a supercomputer on wheels. Even computers, super computer or a stock standard computer can have a bad hiar day or moment. Other members have experienced other one off phenomenons, never to repeat themselves (thankfully).

Unfortunately, if the problem (no matter what) cannot be replicated, it is pretty much impossible to asses/diagnose.

I am truly sorry that your event happened under such unfortunate circumstances with the rain and subsequent damage but unless you can prove that there is a real problem with your car, BMW cannot and will not take any action.

Certainly asking for all members who have had this happen to their cars is a start, but even if 100 cars had this happen just once each, i dont think anything will happen.

Again, I hope that you do not have this happen to your car again but just in case, keep a written record of the event (although im sure you have one already).

This post is not a critisism, just my observation the way I see it. Maybe someone else will have a different view. It would be nice to read it.

Before I finish, another thought just popped into my head (ouch). What would your reaction have been if the sunroof/windows were found open but your car was say in the garage/carport/etc and not suffered from rain damage. Would you have thought that you accidentally opened them and shrugged it off. Anyone else done that with their cars? So many questions.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0