F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Another F30 Rattle Fix
Studio RSR

01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Another F30 Rattle Fix

I posted 2 yesterday, and as I stated I would post a 3rd one after I took photos. Well here it is.

The ambient light cover is too loose on my car and it was floating around, creating like a grinding sort of sound. Well its not doing it anymore.
Attached Images

01-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I got this rattle or weird vibration buzzing coming from the center console when I press down the throttle to 2500-3000rpm. It is most noticeable in sport mode, however intermittent though (sometime it happens, sometimes it doesn't. You ever had this issue? You think this is the cure?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX View Post
I got this rattle or weird vibration buzzing coming from the center console when I press down the throttle to 2500-3000rpm. It is most noticeable in sport mode, however intermittent though (sometime it happens, sometimes it doesn't. You ever had this issue? You think this is the cure?
I had quite a few rattles in my car when I purchased it. I know there were a few in the console area, I started fixing them right away. Since this is my line of work I enjoy diagnosing things and fixing them. Honestly it's a 1st year run and there will be little issues like this with every manufacturer.

Some of the rattle fixes I posted I already fixed months ago, but I see so many people complaining I decided to take everything apart and share what I did with you guys.

Describe a little more in detail or can you pinpoint exactly where it's coming from? There is one more part I fixed in the console, but it literally involves disassembling the whole console to get to the rattle. The 2500 rpm buzz does bring back memories lol for me it was every time the car was under load the exhaust vibrated loose parts.
      01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just took my car in today to fix the AC and the rattle. I'll let BMW deal with it and see if they can fix it. Taking the whole console out is pretty straightfoward. Pull the front trim with the fan, undo the 2 torx screw. remove the ambient cover, undo 2 torx screw.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just took my car in today to fix the AC and the rattle. I'll let BMW deal with it and see if they can fix it. Taking the whole console out is pretty straightfoward. Pull the front trim with the fan, undo the 2 torx screw. remove the ambient cover, undo 2 torx screw.
Yeah I hear ya. I let the dealership deal with the big stuff I'm not equipped to deal with. 2 years ago I took in my 328 to have a front seat sensor replaced. They ruined my trim panels, gouged and scratched stuff up, I came to the conclusion they don't care or have the patience to take finesse stuff apart. If it isn't a 13mm bolt and don't turn they just don't have a clue.
      02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
Dudeonthego
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i - Luxury Line

Hi there,

this is not related to your particular rattle issue. but I have a rattle issue that comes from the front bumper. if you hit it with your hand you will hear it. you have to hit it from the lower lips upwards and you will hear a rattle inside bumper, sounds like a metal licence plate rattle sound. i posted this but no one replied to my post. I can see that you care about rattle noises. I was hopingt hat you might help me out. I was hoping that you can check your car and se if you are getting any rattle at the front bumper ?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeonthego View Post
Hi there,

this is not related to your particular rattle issue. but I have a rattle issue that comes from the front bumper. if you hit it with your hand you will hear it. you have to hit it from the lower lips upwards and you will hear a rattle inside bumper, sounds like a metal licence plate rattle sound. i posted this but no one replied to my post. I can see that you care about rattle noises. I was hopingt hat you might help me out. I was hoping that you can check your car and se if you are getting any rattle at the front bumper ?
Where are you smacking it? In the middle? Or sides? Also can you hear the noise while driving inside the vehicle?

Ill check mine when I get a chance. Never really thought to look, and I've had my front bumper off the car completely already didn't really find anything unusual. If you have headlight washers there is a lot of plumbing with hoses and such you may be hearing those move around. They're just clipped in nothing fancy. Not sure unless I see or hear it.
      02-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Dudeonthego
Canada
Rep

Mine does not have headlight washers and I did not notice any rattling from front end unless when you go over uneven roads then everything seems to shake and the run flat tires are very hard too so that doesn't help, but anyways thats a different story.

Im sure it rattles while driving cause you don't have to tap it hard to hear it. I am tapping on the lower lips each side doesn't matter which side it sounds the same. but if i hold the middle area where licence plate area is while tapping/hitting the lower lip then sound goes away and sounds pretty solid.... so sounds like something is loose inside ? It doesnt really sound plastic rattle. it sound like metal. like a licence plate rattling on an old car. i thought it was coming from the chrome accents. I have two chrome lines (luxury line) but when i hold those and hit nothing changes. so those are not the issue...

you said you took ur bumper off. So is there any clips or screws etc that hold the middle section of the bumper cover inplace? keeping it attached to the metal bar/bumper behind it? cause my bumper had a small scratch and bmw dealer repaired it. I am not sure if they took of the whole bumper and forgot to attach some clips ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine does not have headlight washers and I did not notice any rattling from front end unless when you go over uneven roads then everything seems to shake and the run flat tires are very hard too so that doesn't help, but anyways thats a different story.

Im sure it rattles while driving cause you don't have to tap it hard to hear it. I am tapping on the lower lips each side doesn't matter which side it sounds the same. but if i hold the middle area where licence plate area is while tapping/hitting the lower lip then sound goes away and sounds pretty solid.... so sounds like something is loose inside ? It doesnt really sound plastic rattle. it sound like metal. like a licence plate rattling on an old car. i thought it was coming from the chrome accents. I have two chrome lines (luxury line) but when i hold those and hit nothing changes. so those are not the issue...

you said you took ur bumper off. So is there any clips or screws etc that hold the middle section of the bumper cover inplace? keeping it attached to the metal bar/bumper behind it? cause my bumper had a small scratch and bmw dealer repaired it. I am not sure if they took of the whole bumper and forgot to attach some clips ?
Nothing in the middle as far as fastners go. Only up top under the hood weather strip and on the bottom of the lip. No screws directly in the middle of the fascia.

Maybe the delaer didnt secure something. Definitely sounds like something is loose.

Not sure if this helps but if you venture out on your own in taking it off here is the link for the DIY;
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707251
      02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Dudeonthego
Canada
Rep

thank you for the DIY. gives me an idea of whats in there. But i don't have the tools, and the garage space to work on it myself. Sadly I might have to take it to dealr again, but that pisses me off cause everytime I take it in there they either scratch something or manage to mess up another thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thank you for the DIY. gives me an idea of whats in there. But i don't have the tools, and the garage space to work on it myself. Sadly I might have to take it to dealr again, but that pisses me off cause everytime I take it in there they either scratch something or manage to mess up another thing.
I know exactly how you feel my friend. THey scratched up my car before working on it thats why all these little things I do myself and I try to share with you guys.

I hope you figure out what it is. It may be a bracket they forgot to tighten all the way that holds on your bumper. Ive seen stupid little things like that before.

Good luck.
      02-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did they ever figure out or share the rattle issue with you? Just curious.
      02-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They mention it might be the exhaust pipe rattle the heat shields. they adjusted the heat shields. Didn't do anything though; rattle still there. I still believe it's just something touching in the center console. (maybe the CIC with the center console panel? front fan trim? I'm just gonna take it apart one day and foam tape everything. Probably gonna do the ambient cover too. They did put a 1 inch deep scratch (through paint, can see primer) my fender though. They're gonna fix it though since I spotted it before I drive off. *sigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

Great job! Thank you, I hate rattles in my car and one was coming exactly from this panel.
      02-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Thanks for the info i'll keep following your posts

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They mention it might be the exhaust pipe rattle the heat shields. they adjusted the heat shields. Didn't do anything though; rattle still there. I still believe it's just something touching in the center console. (maybe the CIC with the center console panel? front fan trim? I'm just gonna take it apart one day and foam tape everything. Probably gonna do the ambient cover too. They did put a 1 inch deep scratch (through paint, can see primer) my fender though. They're gonna fix it though since I spotted it before I drive off. *sigh.
Figures they do more damage when taking things apart then anything else. This is my first hand experience as well. I have always said it they dont care about this kind of stuff. As long as your car is mechanically on par and performing the way it was intended the little things in your 50k plus car dont matter. At least thats the way I look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antah View Post
Great job! Thank you, I hate rattles in my car and one was coming exactly from this panel.
Im glad that it helped you out. My car is so quiet now its just me and the exhaust note now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post

Thanks I like to help out when I can.
      02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post

I did it and it worked perfectly! on my way to go a rattle free bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
thelord-akira
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Big thx!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
vkoprivica
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW g30

Plastic noice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I posted 2 yesterday, and as I stated I would post a 3rd one after I took photos. Well here it is.

Hi Kapetan,

The ambient light cover is too loose on my car and it was floating around, creating like a grinding sort of sound. Well its not doing it anymore.
Hi, I am experiencing the same squeaking plastic problem as you and I applied foam type to all recommended places. However, I still can hear squeaking noise coming from one more location. I think it is coming from the right side (I believe under the chair) and I can not determine from were.

I was wondering have you find any more locations where you had to put foam type.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #20
timothyhugh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M - All Black, Loaded

I am having the same issue with my 2013 335i M Sport. I do have a trim removal set that I never opened :-) I will look into this. Thanks so much for the DIY!

I will confirm if this works for me.
2007 E90 335i - Dinan Stage 2, BMW PE - SOLD
2002 E46 M3 Coupe - CSL wheels - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyhugh View Post
I am having the same issue with my 2013 335i M Sport. I do have a trim removal set that I never opened :-) I will look into this. Thanks so much for the DIY!

I will confirm if this works for me.
It should work real well. Thus was one of the easiest rattles i have fixed to date. I have had a few f30 loaners, so far they all did it. That panel is just too loose IMO.
      09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
It should work real well. Thus was one of the easiest rattles i have fixed to date. I have had a few f30 loaners, so far they all did it. That panel is just too loose IMO.
My car still rattiling more and more
everytime I fixed one, theres another one that appears.
Any other ones you have fixed?
Tks!
Appreciate 0