F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Show gear in Drive mode?
GetBMWParts

01-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Show gear in Drive mode?

There's a topic incorrectly posted in the general F30 forum, so I thought to re-post here in case the "coding community" don't check the other forum.

Is it possible to code so that the gear number is shown while in "D"rive mode? I've checked the PDF for all the coding functions in the sticky and there is no mention either for the F30 or the F10.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

bump! Sounds interesting!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

I was searching for this feature, but I didn't find anything yet.

I don't think it is currently possible
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
wildcatcrazy69
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Us E90 (335) owners have to flash our tranny module for this to happen. Not sure if the Alpina flash is avail for the F series yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
williammm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 (2016)

This is something i always wanted. My previous ride was a Scirocco, and they have on the display. It's so helpful!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I got my 328i coded with SAT, so when I move stick to the left for manual mode it shows what gear im in while driving but I don't change the gears myself. And if I want to actually switch gears I move the stick to the left and back once and that's when I manually change gears.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

But thats not a solution, also by moving the stick to the left it automatically shifts down 1 gear.

I can do the same with my paddles, just pull 1 up or down and you know what gear you were in by calculating
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
Stingerxxx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d M-Performance

Yes, You Can Show Gear In Any Mode

The only way to show the gear is to program your tranny with a new software. You have to flash the ESG with the Alpina D3 software. This software works much better than the original one of BMW. (Faster shifting, no torque Limiter)The software is designed for the 335d biturbo, so it makes only sence with a 330d or a 335d. You will find the software as a part of the ESYS database. The programming should be done by an expert in order to avoid damage to your EGS. See the picture below, how it looks after programming.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stingerxxx; 01-18-2017 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Shame this is available for the diesels only...

I'm no expert on Alpina, but isn't the B3 regular petrol (eg: non diesel)?

I wonder if the soft for this model would work.

Would love to get this flashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerxxx View Post
The only way to show the gear is to program your tranny with a new software. You have to flash the ESG with the Alpina D3 software. This software works much better than the original one of BMW. (Faster shifting, no torque Limiter)The software is designed for the 335d biturbo, so it makes only sence with a 330d or a 335d. You will find the software as a part of the ESYS database. The programming should be done by an expert in order to avoid damage to your EGS. See the picture below, how it looks after programming.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Morasool
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive - Mercedes S350

Quote:
Been looking into this. Can you shed any light into how to actually do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #11
Stingerxxx
Registered
Rep

Yes, You Can Show Gear In Any Mode

I was talking about the Alpina D3 software for diesel cars, not about the Alpina B3. There might be a software available for regular fuel cars, I didn't check this.

A Friends of mine did my programming. I really can't tell you how to do this, although I was watching the entire procedure, that I didn't understand. It's much more complicated than coding any ECU to achieve any new functions, because the software consists of several software modules, which have to be selected correctly. The second reason for me to keep my fingers off this programming is the electric power supply required. In order to establish a save power supply while coding your ECU's, you can simply keep your engine running. This doesn't work with an ESG flash, because the engine must be off during programming and the power supply must come from an external power source. I'm not talking about a simple battery charger, but a real powerful device. While flashing the ESG, my car took up to 80 amps!!
You guys should check the web for programmers, who are able to do this so called "Alpina flash". Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I've looked and cant really find any.

I'd love to do this but dont have the skills to do so.

Surely a battery charger onto the battery provides enough amp's for a flash!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
anom3
Captain
Rep

Good to know about the 80amps.

I have a 50amp 13.8V supply I use / used before. Have never done the EGS though. Now I know not to try

Quote:
I was talking about the Alpina D3 software for diesel cars, not about the Alpina B3. There might be a software available for regular fuel cars, I didn't check this.

A Friends of mine did my programming. I really can't tell you how to do this, although I was watching the entire procedure, that I didn't understand. It's much more complicated than coding any ECU to achieve any new functions, because the software consists of several software modules, which have to be selected correctly. The second reason for me to keep my fingers off this programming is the electric power supply required. In order to establish a save power supply while coding your ECU's, you can simply keep your engine running. This doesn't work with an ESG flash, because the engine must be off during programming and the power supply must come from an external power source. I'm not talking about a simple battery charger, but a real powerful device. While flashing the ESG, my car took up to 80 amps!!
You guys should check the web for programmers, who are able to do this so called "Alpina flash". Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Morasool
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

OK, thats fine but how about some contact details for your friend or can you ask him how to do it.

PS. I am willing to pay for this, so if anyone can code it please contact me.

Last edited by Morasool; 01-19-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #15
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morasool View Post
OK, thats fine but how about some contact details for your friend or can you ask him how to do it.

PS. I am willing to pay for this, so if anyone can code it please contact me.
Yeah good idea, or do remote flashing?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
Morasool
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Yeah good idea, or do remote flashing?
I do feel that there is some mystery surrounding this reflash as it seems nobody actually wants to provide any details on how to do this. Share ppl, or at least take payment and share.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morasool View Post
I do feel that there is some mystery surrounding this reflash as it seems nobody actually wants to provide any details on how to do this. Share ppl, or at least take payment and share.
Haha, I agree!.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #18
anom3
Captain
Rep

Althought I have never done this myself, as far as I understand the procedure looks as follows:

A) Change your FA to an FA with the target car (in this case Alpina D3 / B3). The chassis type is the important part here. No need to write this FA to the car (probably best not to...).

B) This should allow you to flash modules according to what is "normally" found in the vehicle.

Thats my understanding, fully untested though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Haha, I agree!.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #19
Stingerxxx
Registered
Rep

Flashing the ESG has absolutely nothing to do with the FA! (I wished it was that easy!) Switching the FA to any Alpina stuff will end up in an expencive desaster for you and on a tow truck for your car.
Almost any reliable, experienced tuning company should be able to do this, although they don't promote it on their web pages. (e.g. www.schmickler-performance.de does it in Germany)
Flashing the ESG belongs to a serious engine tuning work. It doesn't make sence, if your gain of power ends in the torque limiter of your tranny and not at your wheels. Just find some reputable tuning company and contact them. I'm sure they will be able to help you or at least they know, who does.

Last edited by Stingerxxx; 01-20-2017 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0