E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > OK Off-Topic but lets talk cameras...

08-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

OK Off-Topic but lets talk cameras...

I just bought and sold a Leica D-lux 3 and sold it to buy a Canon SD1000 (WAIT) and will be buying a G7, S5is, or maybe even another Leica here in a month or so... It had the coolest lens...

I'm not into the DSLR, I have a Rebel XTi at work that I use but I end up wanting a camera with me all the time and the SD1000 is perfect for that... 90% of the time I just don't want the bulk of a DSLR so I find myself drawn towards the camera that fit's in my pocket...

Anyhoo, been needing to update my camera, I've been happily using digital Elphs for the last 6-7 years and they are fantastic pocketable, and rugged cameras. So I thought I'd do something different get some muscle in my Camera and step it up a bit. I've been wanting something more flexible, with more manual controls.

So, I bought a Leica D-Lux3. Very Nice 10megapixel camera with a fantastic lens, great rugged body, and fast image processor. I enjoyed it, I liked the results, but... It didn't fit in my pocket... It was just a little too big. Pisser.

Here's a couple of sample shots from the Leica.

MMmmmm Pictures....

No crop on these the cool part of the Leica was the WIDE lense.

So yeah, Great clear wide format shots, BUT doesn't fit in my pocket.

Hmm, What to do??? Well I want a camera that fits in my pocket and goes everywhere I go. I know I will not lug around big cameras on a day to day basis so it must be pocketable. So Out goes the Leica, and In comes this little Guy.

Canon SD1000. Best part is it's dirt cheap, super tiny and takes great shots. The SD1000 is NOT Canons latest and greatest Elph. But it is their smallest and least expensive. You give up a lot of features for the sake of size, but at $200 +/- I'm willing to give them up.

Couple of sample pictures from the SD1000

Part of my 1.5 mile commute to work.

Macro Work

And of course a couple of my current obsession. Same angle just about as the one above.

Here's the trouble though, while the SD1000 takes fine snapshots, I still want the power of the bigger camera... So it looks like I'll be buying a new G7 in a Few months then I'll have both ends of the enthusiast photographer realm covered. Compact, feature rich, and powerful.

Both Cameras Rock, the Leica is the nicest camera I've ever had and took fantastic pictures, but it just wasn't tiny enough. The SD1000 is basic, takes nice pictures, and gets the shot when the shot is there... Hard to beat.

Cheers!

And yeah I've got many more photos if we are all still picture junkies here...
      08-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

G7 Maybe?

Seems that the G7 would be an ideal complement to the little SD1000.

I'll admit that I was charmed by the SD1000s tiny size and retro style. The fact that it does indeed take fantastic point and click shots is gravy... There are certainly more feature rich compact Cameras out there, but none that look quite as nice I think.

Anyhoo, G7 For the win maybe??

OH and if you've never visited DPReview.com I highly recommend it as a good source of information and pretty good reviews.

Imaging Resources is another great source of reviews and the ability to compare one camera's images to anothers is a huge bonus.

Cheers.
Attached Images