E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Got My idrive upgrade

08-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Got My idrive upgrade

Hey guys.. Ok so my idrive update was scheduled for the 9th (thursday). So i said, f@# it, i'm leaving my PROcede in the car since members said not to worry about it. Anyway i left it in the morning(7:45am)... that afternoon (5:20pm) they call me and tell me that they had a problem with the update with many cars that they will do it the next day friday (10th). So i have the loaner and say, "ok".

Then friday they call me at 4pm and say that something was wrong with their computers that they couldn't update the and it crashed on all the cars... That they are going to install the drivers at 5pm. and if i want to pick up my car and bring it back or leave it... So i said, "leave it"

MONDAY I called at 11:11am because my dog was getting his cut at Petsmart (really bad job i must add, I could of done a better job on buzzing my dog)No answer so i left a message.He called me back at 5:42pm and said "that car is actually at the shop right now getting updated, my tech just came in and told me there is 1 hour and a half left. He's leaving for the day after that he has to finish some minore settings... So tomorrow it will be done by morning, i'm really sorry it took this long. So i said, "ok..... ok"

Today (Tuesday) 10:17am The rep called me again, and told me that my car is DONE!... And I asked him if all went well, if they did and upgrade not and update... he said yeah, i have the lateste software in my idrive now. :rocks:

Nice... Just to let you guys know, when i went to the dealership, i went with the complaints of the problems i had.
1-DVD drive stays running even when the car is off
2-Idrive take a lifetime to give me directions after i input destination
3-Sometimes the dirrectional arrow doesn't come up when it's telling me to make a turn.
4-slow idrive
5-When i had it in entertainment and i shut off my car and turn it back on, my car turns on back to the main screen and now entertainment.
he asked if it ever started back to the old screen, so i told him no, but my friends car starts from the last screen.

Well i can't wait to go and check it out. I'll take some pics tonight and post them up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

Thanks for the list of complaints. When I had my car serviced last, I asked for the update and they told me I was already at the latest version. But unless I'm mistaken, I think the latest version should allow you to search for POIs by name, no?

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

right.. from what i read, you still have to go thru the category though. LIke if you want bestbuy, you still have to go thru shopping, electronics, and then at the bottom i think it will say search or more.. something like that, and then it will allow you to type the name... If i'm not mistaken... I'll check it today.

But i had the regular version and no POI search, and the main screen looks different then what members are posting here with the newer version.,
When did you ask about the update? After i told the rep i told him that i believe i need a software update
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

My 03/07 build DVD spins while car is off. Has version 25.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

thanks for listing the complaints man!! gonna get my update soon
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

ok guys i tried it out yesterday but with my parents being away on vacation and all it's been crazy with feeding the dog, cooking, cleaning, walkikng the dog, training, it's been hard to get pics in.. but will do today.

things i noticed. I had it on Entertainment. Then i shut my car off, when i turn my car back on, after the safe driving warning, it goes to the exact screen (entertainment) it was on before i shut the car off. So it doesn't start on main screen anymore.

The map, def looks much clearer. Better contrast. The yellow looks more deep yellow, the brown, more browning... Def better.

The main menu has a silver color look to it.

From what i saw, the settings options are all the same, and my address book were all still saved.

Here's the HUGE!!! plus.
-I wanted to find walmart. So i went to navigation > information > on location > Shopping > general... THEN it would usually give me all the general stores around me.. BUT, now right after general, it gave me 3 options on one screen. It said, <search>, Distance, And name. So when i went to name i typed walmart, and then went to search, BOOM all the Walmarts.... If i just want to do a general search without inputing name, i would click on search without inputing a name.

Another plus, when i saw the walmarts, there has the city under the walmart. I don't remember if it gives you the street and state, i'll check tonight. BUT when you click on it, you get the PHONE NUMBER, and address... THAT'S SICK!!!... So now i can call them to get info.

Examply. My old nav when i would search for cvs, i always go to the cvs on pompton ave. in cedar grove because it's open 24 hours. BUT there are like 4 cvs's on that same street and town. SO, when i would search i would get, CVS, CVS, CVS, CVS, so i didn't know what street, or phone number to call if it's 24 hours on. This one give me the number for me to call and ask, and there address... Shit rocks.

Also noticed when i have the radio stations, in my old versions, SOME would say like, hot97, kiss89....whatever... but a lot of LOCAL1, LOCAL2, etc.. so if i liked a station, i didn't know what station it was unless i had it on regular to show me the station. Or have it on all station. But now i didn't see any LOCAL1, now it's like La Kalle, KTU, hot97, Z100, etc... So that part is awsome. LIke 100.3.. gotta go.. manager here
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
for all the members currently still running the older versions of I-drive... trust me, get your update NOW! it's soooo worth it, u definitely won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty5 View Post
for all the members currently still running the older versions of I-drive... trust me, get your update NOW! it's soooo worth it, u definitely won't be disappointed!
I think I have the old software. I don't remembering having a feature to look up restaruants and shopping centers?

How do I know if I have the old software and can I update it at any BMW Center?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Do you have an ipod?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth24 View Post
Do you have an ipod?
Yeah, I have an Ipod, but I don't have the Ipod option, only the AUX jack.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
the easiest way to tell is by the i-drive screen, if it's has a brown background, it's the old vesion. another way to tell is, when you search for a business...("navigation" -> "information"...) does it let you type in the name of the business after you select the buisness type? the new version has this feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
the easiest way to tell is by the i-drive screen, if it's has a brown background, it's the old vesion. another way to tell is, when you search for a business...("navigation" -> "information"...) does it let you type in the name of the business after you select the buisness type? the new version has this feature.
When you say "brown" screen, do you mean the one with the BMW wording in the middle? If so then I have the old version. I don't know how to use the buisness feature yet but I'll try it.

Does the old system have POI's?

Also, can I update my software at any BMW center?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
3thirty5
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
yes the old system has POI's, but you can't type in the name of a business and search for it. you should be able to update the software @ any bmw dealership... when i went to get mine done, i just complained about the i-drive system being very slow and laggy (which was the case at certain times) and they did the update for me. I had to leave my car they overnight, cause apparently it takes a few hours to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
yes the old system has POI's, but you can't type in the name of a business and search for it. you should be able to update the software @ any bmw dealership... when i went to get mine done, i just complained about the i-drive system being very slow and laggy (which was the case at certain times) and they did the update for me. I had to leave my car they overnight, cause apparently it takes a few hours to do.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0