F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Buzzing slight rattle, high rpms
Studio RSR

12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Han So1o
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i AW, M Sport with 19's

Buzzing slight rattle, high rpms

Hey Guys,

after breaking in my car, i went to push it a little. I noticed a buzzing/slight rattle noise from the engine area on the deceleration after hitting about 5k RPMs.

For those with the 335i, please review and advise if this is normal. I was told from my service advisor that it is. please reply as I pick up my car shortly. thanks.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/0BjeMMtdr9w[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han So1o
Hey Guys,

after breaking in my car, i went to push it a little. I noticed a buzzing/slight rattle noise from the engine area on the deceleration after hitting about 5k RPMs.

For those with the 335i, please review and advise if this is normal. I was told from my service advisor that it is. please reply as I pick up my car shortly. thanks.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/0BjeMMtdr9w[/u2b]
Same happened here. It's not from the engine bay, it's the rattle from nav screen area between dash and wind screen. My dealer took it apart, put some foam. It rattle is gone at high rev.

Hope helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han So1o View Post
Hey Guys,

As howiegu mentions in his post, it sounds alot like the dash "buzz" that I experience at certain RPMs -- it appears to come from somewhere in the dash behind/underneath the nav for me. I only experience it on random occasions -- it almost seems to come and go based on different outside temperatures. I haven't tried to resolve it because it doesn't happen constantly, which makes it very hard to locate and fix...I can go a week or two without hearing it. Not to mention the prospect of taking apart the dash seems likely to create more buzzes and rattles in the process of finding and fixing this one.

In general, I am pretty disappointed with the number of creaks, buzzes and rattles in this car compared to every other car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

+1, I could understand that my first car, a used sentra with 60K miles made rattling sounds, but my new BMW making such sounds is disappointing.
I've noticed these sounds while accelerating hard and squeaking sounds while traveling at constant speeds on anything but brand new paved roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Han So1o
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i AW, M Sport with 19's

the dealer said it was normal and goes away after some time. something must've happened though. there were thumb prints on the nav and the noise is gone.

it is disappointing to have this stuff on a new car. I don't even have 4k miles. BMW's drive and handle great. RFT's suck... but by no means are they reliable and the quality control before releasing a car to the customer sucks. I brought the car in for this and a squeak from the rear. again, not even 4k on the odometer.

Thanks for the input guys. sorry, but releaved, that i'm not the only one with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
pintoom
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT Imperial Blue

I'm having the same issue. FWIW the car is a 335i manual, and the buzzing is most pronounced in Sports mode when shifting from 2->3->4.
Has anyone has this issue resolved?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
TLennox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Rattle

I have a 2013 Sport line 335 manual 4 months old. The car is extremely tight except for a slight rattle in gears 2,3&4 only when driving fast. It goes away if the stick shift knob is squeezed hard. Has anyone else experience this? Thinking about having service take a look at it. My wife is getting tired squeezing the knob all the time.

TL
Appreciate 0