E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Autocrossed today...SCCA SF Chapter - Marina CA

08-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Autocrossed today...SCCA SF Chapter - Marina CA

Went out today...just to see what the non-staggered track set up would feel like at speed. I did four runs with decent performance. Since this was my first Autocross event in about 3.5 year...I wasnt expecting much..especially with a new car...and a handling setup in flux. Anyway, started out with 52.3...with DTC button showing and a passenger...then did at 50.2...so a 1.1 second improvement. I dumped the passenger..and pushed the traction control button all the way on for 4 seconds and got that other symbol to display in the dash..and went back out. This time I got a respectible 49.1 time..went out for my last run with the same set up and pushed a but too much and did a 49.4. For comparison, there was another 335i coupe there..and I think his best was 50.2. I think he has been running several autocrosses already..so my time was decent..even though I did have coilovers...and he did not.

BTW, the car rotated nicely...for autocross..this non-staggered set up is fine..now the next test is the road race track..wish me luck.

Sorry...no pics...I was driving.

BTW, the best time I saw at this event was a SM2 M Coupe which did a 45.6

Car is now gone .... :-(

Last edited by S4to335; 08-13-2007 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Nice! I have yet to take my E90 to Laguna Seca, but I'm looking forward to it...

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Went out today...just to see what the non-staggered track set up would feel like at speed. I did four runs with decent performance. Since this was my first Autocross event in about 3.5 year...I wasnt expecting much..especially with a new car...and a handling setup in flux. Anyway, started out with 52.3...with DTC button showing and a passenger...then did at 50.2...so a 1.1 second improvement. I dumped the passenger..and pushed the traction control button all the way on for 4 seconds and got that other symbol to display in the dash..and went back out. This time I got a respectible 49.1 time..went out for my last run with the same set up and pushed a but too much and did a 49.4. For comparison, there was another 335i coupe there..and I think his best was 50.2. I think he has been running all year..so my time was decent..even though I did have coilovers...and he did not.

BTW, the car rotated nicely...for autocross..this non-staggered set up is fine..now the next test is the road race track..wish me luck.

Sorry...no pics...I was driving.

BTW, the best time I saw at this event was a SM2 M Coupe which did a 45.6
Nice. I hope you don't get your LSD installed , before you have get fully used to the car and driving around the track. I would be very interested in finding an objective measurement of how will the LSD affect the lap times. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
Nice. I hope you don't get your LSD installed , before you have get fully used to the car and driving around the track. I would be very interested in finding an objective measurement of how will the LSD affect the lap times. Thanks.
I can definitely see how the LSD will help in the autocross course...and in the sharp turns on the road racing course. I would anticipate about 1-2 seconds per lap. I put an LSD on my Spec Miata race car and saw about a 1 second improvement at Laguna Seca.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I'm dying to take my 335i to an autoX as well. I'm also in the Bay Area and also used to have an S4 as well! Maybe we know each other actually. Are you from AW or AZ? I missed the American AutoX event on the 11th but will try to make the one in September at Castle. Let me know if you'll be around as I'm looking to get a set of PSS9s and would be interested if you could give me a ride so I can check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I'm dying to take my 335i to an autoX as well. I'm also in the Bay Area and also used to have an S4 as well! Maybe we know each other actually. Are you from AW or AZ? I missed the American AutoX event on the 11th but will try to make the one in September at Castle. Let me know if you'll be around as I'm looking to get a set of PSS9s and would be interested if you could give me a ride so I can check it out.
I go by Steve S on AW...and Ultrasport Steve on AZ. Had three S4s...two sedans and one avant..and three B5 A4s..two 1.8T and one 2.8...and one B6 A4 1.8T. I live in San Jose (almaden area)..you are welcome to come by and get a ride anytime...

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
thanks for the offer Steve, I may take you up on that. I remember your posts from the forums. I go by Cup-a-Chow on both.
Appreciate 0