E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > 335d Turbo set up ...

12-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

335d Turbo set up ...

For sale is a 335d turbo set up
Included are ...
Small Turbo
Big Turbo
All actuators ( x 3)
All Pipe work incl Manifold to intercooler connection ( no intercooler)
Both turbo’s are in excellent condition. They both rotate freely with no pickup or dragging whatsoever. They have no axial movement in the bearings , there is a very small amount of radial movement as expected with no pressurised oil supporting the bearings. The turbine blades show no wear along the leading edge or indeed the tips and most certainly do not rub on any surface.
There is absolutely no evidence of any oil passing through the seals ( the exhaust side on both are just a dry black soot and the High pressure end have a very thin film of recirculated crank breather gasses associated with the 'misting ' you see on the red boost hose.

I happily welcome any inspection of these turbo’s ..
The bad bits .. a bolt snapped in the big turbo manifold connection. An engineering place will be able to deal with it no problem. Another small bolt that secures the heat shield on the small turbo has also snapped off. Just noticed that one of the pipes has a small nick out of it too although this won’t have any effect on the running of things.
Please be aware that BMW have not authorised a spares kit for any of these turbo’s, you can call all the turbo repair companies you like .. go to the manufacturer ... you get the same standard response of this is a BMW part only. Expect to pay around £700 for the small turbo and £1700 for the big one ( I glazed over when BMW told me the price.. It was nearer £3k with Vat if I recall)
I will split if I get takers for everything but will prefer to just do the lot in one go.
Collection is preferred but will courier out but this will be around £35 due to the weight involved
£750 the lot
Some info on Realoem , just so you can get a feel for what these parts are new from BMW .. ballpark of £4k !!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=11&fg=40
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=50
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=11&fg=50
PM for details ..

Last edited by 335DEE; 12-30-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Dropped price slightly
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Hello mate. Can u ask how comes these are for sale? Did u get new ones? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

It's a long story ! but in a nutshell no new turbos were needed. All that was needed was a small adjustment and I would have saved myself ££££'s and a shed load of grief

Check out the 2nd last picture , This is the diverter flap which opens when big turbo comes on stream.. as you can see , this flap is sitting a little bit proud of flush.

Now check out the 1st picture top of page and you see that the high pressure exit hole isn't quite round .. As the diverter flap is a little proud of flush it got stuck in the high pressure side non roundedness and would not open when required.

Result .. not a lot of boost and therefore pretty rubbish performance. As you can imagine to rectify this I started at the simple cheap stuff and slowly worked my way up to the expensive stuff , man I changed everything .. vac hoses , pressure controllers , red boost hoses , intercoolers , EGR valves EGR Thermostats you name it , it got changed ..the full works. Still no luck I had no option really .. Turbos!

I sourced some used turbos and had them fitted , my indie only discovered this issue when he was 85% complete in installing the replacement ones I bought. I was going to tell him to take the replaced ones off and put mine back because in all fairness there is nothing wrong with these turbos at all and I would be more than happy to have these ones back , but I didn't because he had spent nearly 2 days on the car trying to get the buggers out in the first place.

In hindsight a little adjustment on the actuator ( 3 mins) and all would be good in the world... but no fancy electronic system was going to tell me this so after an empty wallet and no more hair left to pull out I need to move these on to try and recoup some costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Oh man. That sounds like a right nightmare. Well explained mate. Can I pass the details on to a mate who may be interested but is not a forum member?

Glws
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Sure no problem
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
335DEE