E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Ripped my tranny up <_<

08-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Ripped my tranny up <_<

so i was at a 1/4 mile track today running, first time with procede, they make you wear a helmet per NHRA rules <13.5 i didnt wear one before even though i was on the cusp so it was the first time

IDK why but i kept missing shifts which i rarely do

well third run of the day i go to hit 4th, let the clutch out and hit the gas, seems like it was just on the edge of gear when i let the clutch out and it ground pretty bad

bad enough that the tranny light came on, i pulled over right away on the access road, put it in neutral, and the car started idling weird, it would go down to 1k then blip to 1.5 and repeat <_<

i stopped the car let it sit for a few sec, restarted, the idling went away but the light stayed on, grabbed my slip and started heading home (getting a tow from the track = voided warranty) took me about 5 minutes to get out of the track area and i had restarted a few times

the tranny check light went away and i got it home and checked for codes (none)

im really pissed i missed that gear so bad (or at all FFS) anyway, im thinking i should drain the tranny fluid and replace it, im trying to decide if i should bring it in and have the service department take a look at it (like they could tell me anything not like they are going to take out the 6mt and rip it open)

:/

guess i should wear that helmet while driving on the street for awhile to get used to it (yes blame the helmet right?)

any input? anyone have any good ideas besides draining the tranny fluid
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
addicted 2 turbo
3rd Brigade Combat Team
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 & 328

Take the procede out and let the dealer fix it
I have broke a couple transmision mssing gear or grinding gear like that in my RX7.
      08-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

tranny light on a manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

broken driveshaft, cv joint?

I've broken a cv joint at a track before, and at first i thought my tranny was gone as there was a grinding sound whenever i engaged anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggysv View Post
broken driveshaft, cv joint?

I've broken a cv joint at a track before, and at first i thought my tranny was gone as there was a grinding sound whenever i engaged anything.
no nothing like that, doesn't seem like anything is broken, just that the car freaked out on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
tranny light on a manual?
i think it might have been a check engine light actually, they aren't exactly very informative pictures, looked like thise

Code:
        _
        |
|--[   /==]
Appreciate 0