F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Activehybrid 3 suspension question
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

Activehybrid 3 suspension question

I have a AH3 ordered with the Msport pkg. the hybrid is like 230 lbs heavier than the regular 335. I would like to drop it to eliminate the wheel gap. Do you guys think the h&r springs or some other brand be ok or is the weight difference that significant that it wouldn't work well?

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I don't know the answer to your question, but part of me thinks the AH3 may have different springs than a 335i in the rear, to account for the weight. You know those German engineers think of everything! I doubt they'd slap ~250 extra pounds on there and not compensate. Imagine driving a regular 335i with a couple of girls in the back. It's probably going to look a bit lower. But when I see an AH3, the rear looks the same height as the standard 335i.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You know those German engineers think of everything!
They sure do. N/C...steering vibration, easy to fall out tail lamps, Edison era lamps in turn signals, brake squeal, and super dusty pads to take us back to pre LCI E90. Some OEMs charge $$ for these awesome innovations.

You can probably tell I'm in a mood tonight....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

well the convertibles weight difference form the coupe is about the same amount as hybrid to non hybrid and I'm not sure if there is a difference in the H&R springs for the coupe and convertible.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:37 AM   #5
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted John View Post
well the convertibles weight difference form the coupe is about the same amount as hybrid to non hybrid and I'm not sure if there is a difference in the H&R springs for the coupe and convertible.
I can't find a difference in rear suspension part numbers on realoem.com

What would be your recommendation to upgrade the AH3 suspension with EDC? (2VF option)

What kind of handling improvement can I expect?
I'm not unhappy with my OEM adaptive suspension, just considering options to squeeze more out of the chassis as I find it lacking a bit of sharpness

Upgrading the front control arms next saturday with a set of M3 arms by the way!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Horley900
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 Activehybrid 3

I'd be intrested too in any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

I have the H&R Super Sport Springs on my AH3, and the back end definitely sits a bit lower than the regular 335. It's fine for me and I managed to fit 20x10.5 wheels in there with Nitto NT555 G2 275/30-20.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Horley900
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
I have the H&R Super Sport Springs on my AH3, and the back end definitely sits a bit lower than the regular 335. It's fine for me and I managed to fit 20x10.5 wheels in there with Nitto NT555 G2 275/30-20.
That's good to know thanks, I'll be purchasing them tonight.
Have you upgraded the rarb on your car. I notice that on our cars it is only 12mm, is that because of the space constraints with the battery? I'd ideally like to fit the 15mm from the 440i m sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horley900 View Post
Have you upgraded the rarb on your car. I notice that on our cars it is only 12mm, is that because of the space constraints with the battery? I'd ideally like to fit the 15mm from the 440i m sport.
Whats a rarb? Was that supposed to be swaybar? If so, no, the only suspension work I've done is the springs. Waiting on the first paycheck from my new job to get some BCs and maybe some sways.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Horley900
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Whats a rarb? Was that supposed to be swaybar? If so, no, the only suspension work I've done is the springs. Waiting on the first paycheck from my new job to get some BCs and maybe some sways.
So back in my day a rarb was a rear anti roll bar, but I've seen that they go by sway bars now lol.
Appreciate 1
afranke207.00
      11-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So back in my day a rarb was a rear anti roll bar, but I've seen that they go by sway bars now lol.
Depends which side of the pond you are
Sway bar is american, anti roll bar is british English apparently.

Back the topic i fitted big H&R bars on my AH3, didn?t like it, put the 440i bars and now i?m happy
afranke207.00
      11-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Horley900
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Back the topic i fitted big H&R bars on my AH3, didn?t like it, put the 440i bars and now i?m happy
I see, those cheeky Americans and there independence, they have to be different haha.
I did look at the H&R anti roll/sway bar, I thought it might be too stiff as it super thick. Was that the case?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #13
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see, those cheeky Americans and there independence, they have to be different haha.
I did look at the H&R anti roll/sway bar, I thought it might be too stiff as it super thick. Was that the case?
Quote:
They sure are unless you?re on smooth track all day long, in real life it?s too much, so 440i LCI are fine, if need for stronger bars check KW or Eibach, 16mm at the back vs 20 for H&R