E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS/CA 335i Map?

07-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Question DMS/CA 335i Map?

sorry been 'ing for a while now

anyone know if DMS are any nearer to cracking the ECU? how about CA autos?

was looking at a procede, but its looks like a far amount of work, i presume the DMS solution or birds solution involves flashing the ecu instead?

birds seems pricey to me!

S3-3.5 360hp Motronic Modification
Application : 335ci
Installation cost : £130.80
Parts cost : £2,116.40

i want to get something soonish, do i tell my insurer when its done?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

All Motronic application are boxes wired to the ecu just like Procede.

SO birds sell a hartge box.

When my335d was getting remapped i asked the guy about the 335i. Apparently the y have the software code for the remap, however cant get the ecu the accept the code.

I got the feeling all the remappers have given up
      07-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
i want to get something soonish, do i tell my insurer when its done?
IMHO yes you do, for a number of reasons:

i) I don't think it is worth the slightest possibility that your car is written off and they find out, however unlikely that may seem.. that could also in theory mean you find it difficult to get insured in future ... again, perhaps a bit far fetched but I'm sure it happens.

ii) Insurance contracts are contracts of "utmost good faith" i.e. insurance is based on the foundations of people being honest and acting in good faith. If you tune your car then from an insurance perspective you are a different (I won't say worse/better) risk than someone who hasn't and they need to price that accordingly. In the same way that Jonny 17 year old driving round all day every day in a car that the insurer believes is his mum's car is not good for insurance company or the other insureds (we pick up the bill ultimately via increased premiums) neither is this.

Just my two penneth!

Caveat: I do work for an insurance company!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
IMHO yes you do, for a number of reasons:

i) I don't think it is worth the slightest possibility that your car is written off and they find out, however unlikely that may seem.. that could also in theory mean you find it difficult to get insured in future ... again, perhaps a bit far fetched but I'm sure it happens.

ii) Insurance contracts are contracts of "utmost good faith" i.e. insurance is based on the foundations of people being honest and acting in good faith. If you tune your car then from an insurance perspective you are a different (I won't say worse/better) risk than someone who hasn't and they need to price that accordingly. In the same way that Jonny 17 year old driving round all day every day in a car that the insurer believes is his mum's car is not good for insurance company or the other insureds (we pick up the bill ultimately via increased premiums) neither is this.

Just my two penneth!

Caveat: I do work for an insurance company!
thanks, i've never ever modded (in the chipping sense) any of my cars, but i will let them know (that is if the 335i ecu is ever flashed)

i may even tell them if i change from RFT's to non RFT's too?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
You should do. I was super honest and wrote to my insurer to give them a list of all options as they didn't seem to have all of mine listed on their database. No possible comeback that way and thankfully they didn't try and rip me off for it.

My last car had AC Schnitzer racing type III alloys on it..along with a load of other AC Shnitzer kit, they looked awesome but it added about 3-400 quid to my insurance if I remember correctly.

You could always look out for a mod-friendly insurer.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster

I had my last car remapped by DMS and had a good experience and a good map so I asked about getting my 335i remapped when I got it. It seems they are having trouble getting it to work so I remain hopeful that they sort something out.

As for insurance, I found A-Plan to be the cheapest in my case, adding only £80 to my previous car's annual premium. I'll definitely tell them if - when - my 335i is remapped or chipped if I decide to go down that route.
Previous car:
BMW E92 335i SE Manual 2006
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

My understanding is that DMS have sold their 335i test car and don't intend to release a 335i remap, in the near future at least.

BTW, I am investigating engine mods, it seems that the Proceded V2 is the way to go - once it has been through beta testing. Give it 4 months or so and I will be having one sent across the pond.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

yahoo - i'm with you on this mate.

may go down the piggy back proceed route. have you seen the install vid on the website? looks interesting, i would want someone to do the install for me! i would prob blow up the car or something and i would probably detach before service time, wouldnt want to kiss goodbye to the warranty

do they do a european version? we have higher octane ratings fuel wise i believe

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

CA Automotive have the XEDE on their web site here which appears to be £810 + £200 fitting, if I'm reading it correctly. Probably worth a look.
      07-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
yahoo - i'm with you on this mate.
I have seen the install video. I thought it was very clear and if you take your time shouldn't pose any problems. I guess it just depends on your level of confidence in fiddling with cables.

I don't know of anyone with Procede in the UK, but I have read posts from another European chap who seems to be getting on just fine.

I believe that Shiv has a number of maps available for different octane ratings. The procede harness can be connected to your laptop to upload new or stock maps (there is also a wireless adaptor available). I also read somewhere that US 93 Octane is actually the same stuff as our 97 Octane fuel. I'm not sure whether this is true, but it is worth researching.

There is a bloke over on tyresmoke.net who has an AA Xede piggyback on his e91 335i which has given incredible gains. His hasn't thrown any error codes and has done a 0-60 run of 4.5 secs (4.9 stock).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
CA Automotive have the XEDE on their web site here which appears to be £810 + £200 fitting, if I'm reading it correctly. Probably worth a look.
Looks good - particularly the ability to switch between Stock and Performance! But, like Procede, it is a module that BMW will easily see when the car is in for a service. I would tell my insurer so that wouldn't be a concern, just the voiding of the BMW Warranty; which is a worry.

I prefer remaps but the Procede or Xede are tempting...
Previous car:
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 04:56 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stKnight View Post
Looks good - particularly the ability to switch between Stock and Performance! But, like Procede, it is a module that BMW will easily see when the car is in for a service. I would tell my insurer so that wouldn't be a concern, just the voiding of the BMW Warranty; which is a worry.

I prefer remaps but the Procede or Xede are tempting...
i think with the higher octane rating of our fuel over here that we prob will end up with 10 odd bhp more than our american cousins

1stknight you will just have to remove it when its service time!

Carl
      07-30-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

1stknight you will just have to remove it when its service time!

Carl

I have all the practical technical ability of Homer Simpson's Institutionalised delusional Granny on a Valium & Stroh Rum cocktail; I doubt very much I could remove it without breaking something and/or becoming so agitated and hyper that I implode and create a mini Black Hole - you wouldn't want that, dangerous.

I've still got to put on my M Steering wheel I've had for weeks; I just cannot bring myself to attempt it despite having clear instructions.

So I would need a piggy back box/chip that was Dealer approved before I would be comfortable hence my preference for remaps. I do like the Xede though.
Previous car:
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
Yahoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stKnight View Post
So I would need a piggy back box/chip that was Dealer approved before I would be comfortable hence my preference for remaps. I do like the Xede though.
Turbo Tuner may be the way to go in this case. A much easier install and uninstall than either Xede or Procede. I wouldn't hold your breath for a BMW approved map to become available. Even if it does, it is likely to cost similar to the Birds/Hartge map.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Turbo Tuner may be the way to go in this case. A much easier install and uninstall than either Xede or Procede. I wouldn't hold your breath for a BMW approved map to become available. Even if it does, it is likely to cost similar to the Birds/Hartge map.

i do not know much about this turbo tuner but i know it does not have the same sort of performance gains as the precede does! abpout 40bhp more.

Also maybe you could correct me but isnt it some sort of bleed type valve system? if it is this could lead to distasterous consequences as this is no way to tune a car?!

because even with a bleed valve for instance, a device which was used many years ago with say for instance r5gtt owners to up boost, which lead to an untimely death of their engine because the air/fuel ratio was not set up after this 'manual increase' in boost..

Carl
      07-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #16
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
We were tossing around the idea of doing a meet and group install of the procede.

Shiv was coming over to the UK in the next few weeks anyway so I wanted to meet up and get my Proceed +V2 harness directly from him (hence saving post, tax and a shed load of worry)

Once I've seen how it's done, and it does look easy if you take your time and double check, then it should be breeze to fit and remove if necessary come service time.

i would think if you can change a graphics card or add memeory to your PC then you're qualified :P

SJ
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #17
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
i would think if you can change a graphics card or add memeory to your PC then you're qualified :P

SJ
Hmmm, I can do that easily enough - there may be hope then!

If I can remove it just before each service I guess I'd be okay.
Previous car:
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I understand that the dealer may notice that a piggy back chip has been used as the ECU stores turbo temperatures which will run about 10% hotter under the extra load.

I think that remaps are much more difficult to detect unless they upload the software out of the ECU and look for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
I understand that the dealer may notice that a piggy back chip has been used as the ECU stores turbo temperatures which will run about 10% hotter under the extra load.

I think that remaps are much more difficult to detect unless they upload the software out of the ECU and look for it.
in other words, YOU LOT SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE DIESEL

335d:rocks:

Carl
      07-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
RobK
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

I told my insurance company my 335i was chipped, but it actually isn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
There is a bloke over on tyresmoke.net who has an AA Xede piggyback on his e91 335i which has given incredible gains. His hasn't thrown any error codes and has done a 0-60 run of 4.5 secs (4.9 stock).
That was Guy's car which I have bought off him. i thought it was still installed but in fact he'd taken it out in order to send it back to AA for them to upgrade the firmware.

I do intend to fit it but haven't had time so far. Besides it will be good to get used to the car a bit before souping it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #21
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
in other words, YOU LOT SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE DIESEL

335d:rocks:

Carl

I don't think so...
Previous car:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:03 AM   #22
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
We were tossing around the idea of doing a meet and group install of the procede.

Shiv was coming over to the UK in the next few weeks anyway so I wanted to meet up and get my Proceed +V2 harness directly from him (hence saving post, tax and a shed load of worry)

Once I've seen how it's done, and it does look easy if you take your time and double check, then it should be breeze to fit and remove if necessary come service time.

SJ
hey serjames, i could be interested..wonder what sort of £ we'd be looking at.

always wonder if you get a remap of the ECU, would an i-drive update etc from the dealer overwrite it?????
Appreciate 0