E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ECU chip void lease???

11-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Saosin17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

ECU chip void lease???

Will an ECU chip for my e90 330i void the lease??? also, what modifications if any can be made to a leased car without voiding warranty/lease. Also, if anythign can be done, what companies now have out performance products for the e90, any worth looking into?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I would say that chipping your car will void everything, the lease, your warranty etc.

Other than perhaps some suspension and tire mods, I would not touch a leased car. If you own it, you can take more of a chance with your warranty, especially if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

Rememberm, with a lease, at the end of yout lease BMWNA takes your car through a fine tooth comb to hit you with everything they can-as good a dealer as you may have will not save you from this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
Saosin17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I know that my dealer is also a certified Dinan dealer... also off limits?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
garyw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03' RSX-S

I usually chip all my parents leased vehicles which includes Mercedes, BMW, Audi's when brand new and haven't had a problem with them noticing the program installed or when the lease ended.

I have some friends who do modify their cars alot even on a leased vehicle, usually the dealership do not care as long as you return everything back to stock in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Interesting point - It may have him (dealer) not void your warranty in practice, but I would not bet my life that BMW NA will not try to ding you if they determine that certain parts need to be changed because of "excessive wear resulting from unauthorized modifications".

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

If your dealer can swap back at the end of the lease and you get something in writing form him, you might try it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
I would say that chipping your car will void everything, the lease, your warranty etc.
Umm. No.

In the US, consumers are protected by the Moss Magnussen act which states that a warranty is only voided if the warranty provider (BMW NA) can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a modification or aftermarket part caused the warranty issue at hand. For example, if I take my car to the dealer because the engine is ticking, it is illegal for them to deny warranty coverage because I have an aftermarket set of springs. In fact, they cannot even deny the claim because of a chip unless they can reasonably prove the chip caused the malfunction that caused the ticking.

For the most part, BMW NA is rather OK with modifications, within reason. They have voided entire vehicle warranties in the case of extensive modification such as the instillation of turbochargers and superchargers.

I had both a chip and a Rogue short shifter in my 325Ci when it turned it in at the end of my lease and BMW didn't say a thing about it. They even let me get away with a couple of door dings and a dead set of tires in the rear. They were nowhere near as strict as I've seen people claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
Fastfred92
On race gas fumes !!
Rep
Drives: e90 325i Jet/Terra/SP/6spd

And if you lease another car from them ( BMWFS that is ) you would be surprised what they let you get away with
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i would say make a "friend" with one of the mechanics. it should be easy.
with my 03 acura tl-s. the first time i got an oil change, i found the mechanic that did it, and gave him a twenty dollar tip. after that, EVERYTHING was cool. if you guys havent heard, the type-s models are notorious for having bad transmissions. my mechanic gave me a new transmission WITH MY NITROUS KIT FULLY INSTALLED. most people will say nitrious is the worst as far as voiding warranties, but as long as you "know" someone in service, you should be totally fine. everyone talks about aftermarket stuff voiding warranties.... im sure it happens, but i have NEVER heard of anyone actually being refused service for an aftermarket part.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
i would say make a "friend" with one of the mechanics. it should be easy.
with my 03 acura tl-s. the first time i got an oil change, i found the mechanic that did it, and gave him a twenty dollar tip. after that, EVERYTHING was cool. if you guys havent heard, the type-s models are notorious for having bad transmissions. my mechanic gave me a new transmission WITH MY NITROUS KIT FULLY INSTALLED. most people will say nitrious is the worst as far as voiding warranties, but as long as you "know" someone in service, you should be totally fine. everyone talks about aftermarket stuff voiding warranties.... im sure it happens, but i have NEVER heard of anyone actually being refused service for an aftermarket part.
because you tipped him $20, he got you a new tranny? how in the world can he do this??? i doubt they even have a tranny laying around.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #11
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

haha. they didnt have it laying around... they had to order it. and when a silly amount of type s' are warranting out totally broken trannies, it isnt hard for a mechanic to say the tranny is on the verge of breaking, and getting a new tranny. and it wasnt JUST because i gave him a tip. its because the initial meeting, and tip lead to a 3 year relationship...
Appreciate 0