F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > SMS Messages on iDrive
ARMA SPEED

09-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Question SMS Messages on iDrive

As I understand it, iPhone users who have upgraded to iOS 6 and who have option 6NL (also included with the two satnav systems) should be able to receive SMS messages via iDrive.

I've got Pro Nav with the 6NL option, upgraded to iOS 6 and no joy... I can configure Bluetooth in iDrive to support Office, Telephone, Audio etc., but when I pair the phone I don't get the Office option. Some of our US colleagues have got this working, but has anyone in the UK managed it? If so I'd be interested in what options you've got and how you managed it.

PS - Oh yeah, the new Apple maps feature on iOS 6 is horrible.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Was thatthe Apps optional extra for £100?

I do hope google release their app back into the app store!
      09-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Well my understanding was that you don't need the £130 BMW Apps (option 6NR - Mobile Application Preparation), you just need 6NL which is included with the Pro Nav or 6NK if you don't have the Pro Nav.

In the car it certainly looks like it should work because under Bluetooth configuration you can see 'Office'...

Plus when viewing messages you can filter by SMS, email or System Messages. But then when you select the phone, Office doesn't appear (as apparently it should?)...

...and SMS messages, new, old or otherwise don't appear in iDrive.

PS - Heard rumour that Google will release a new Maps app for iOS, just don't know how far off that is

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

This thread here tells you everything that's known about this

Seems Apps is nothing to do with it
      09-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

I have a Blackberry and everything works as designed , but I do recall from setting mine up that there was a checkbox to select in the pairing process to allow data transfer from the phone to the car - is it possible that this step has been missed?

Not with the car tonight - allowing the wife to have some fun - so can't check the setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Hi, just been out in the car messing about after updating to iOS 6 and have got SMS and emails to display and get read out on iDrive, I went into Bluetooth and then found my car under connected devices, press blue arrow then enable "show notifications"

I also made sure that I have emails and SMS to "show in lock screen"

I hope that helps?!

P.s it took ages for emails and text to show up, so be patient
F30 320d M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, 19" 403M Style Alloys, Adaptive M Sport Suspension, Xenons with Visibility Pack, Interior Comfort pack, Harman/Kardon, DAB, Servotronic Steering, Heated Steering Wheel, Folding and dimming Ext. Mirrors, Heated seats with Lumbar Support, Enhanced Bluetooth with voice control, Full black panel display
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msporty View Post
P.s it took ages for emails and text to show up, so be patient
I think that's the key because I've been out to the car this morning and it HALF works, without me having changed anything since last night!

Yesterday I sat in the car for a good 10 mins waiting to see if unread messages appeared... nothing. Even when I asked it to filter messages and only show SMS, it went off and said it was retrieving data from the phone then said 0 messages (even though I had several unread messages on the phone). Got in the car this morning and within about a minute it's showing 3 unread messages... including one from the Mrs saying "What do you keep doing in that car?!"

However, iDrive doesn't see unread emails no matter what I try**. Also I've noticed that unread SMS messages seem to only register once. E.g. I receive a message while in the car, iDrive picks it up within seconds. I don't read the message (either in iDrive or on the phone), then I get out of the car, come back a while later and the unread message no longer appears in iDrive - but then any new messages I receive while in the car show up, so the phone says 4 unread messages and the car says 2...??

**I have 'View in Lock Screen' set to 'ON' for my email plus 'Show notifications' enabled for the bluetooth connection, but they still don't show up. Maybe I just need to sit in the car for half an hour

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 09-21-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0