E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Seat gone mad !

07-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
maximus
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Seat gone mad !

Hello,

Just picked up a new 328i last month. Day after I picked it up the driver seat started moving on it's own. No matter what I did it wouldn't stop moving back until it hit the rear seat. I finally managed to stop it from moving. I bring it into the dealership the next day and they tell me I need a new module or something and that they are going to order it for me. I set up an appointment to bring the car in so I bring it in and they tell me the part hasn't been ordered yet (even though they told me they had done so). Fine, so I have to make another appointment. Approximately 3 weeks later, I go to pick up a cake for my girlfriends grandmother and guess what - the seat starts acting up again but this time while I'm on the road. I have to hold the lever to keep it from moving back but driving with one hand is proving to be quite difficult. I have to pull over and try to get the seat to stop again but this time the seat just won't stop moving back. We call BMW of Canada to notify them of the issue and the lack of service I have been provided up to this point. Shockingly I get a call from the service department the very next day saying I have an appointment the next day at 7:50 in the morning. This would be very difficult to do since I had to be at work the next day at 8 and the fact that I work on the opposite end of the City didn't help matters much. What's worse is that they said I had booked this date and time with them (when I didn't) and that the part had been ordered and at the dealership for several weeks now (also a flasehood). I contact the dealer and tell them that this is unacceptable. We agreed to have someone come and pick up the car and leave me a loaner for the time being. I contact BMW of Canada myself and explain to them that anything less than a new vehicle would not satisfy. I have yet to hear back from them.

Is this the BMW experience that they are talking about ?

Is this the impeccable customer service they claim to provide ?

Is this the type of company that claims to be one of the top auto makers in the world ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Is a new car the type of response you find as the "least they can do" ?

Sorry to hear about the problem with the seat, it certainly can be unnerving to have something like that happen as you drive, but I suggest that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not the right thing to do.

You can expect BMW to tell you that your car is fixed and no more.

I strongly urge you to complain about the dealer service though, sounds like the problem that you have and sense of frustration has more to do with the dealer than anything else.

We all like to believe that when we buy a car it will work perfectly for ever. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and some things do slip through the cracks no matter how good the car and company is otherwise.

Hope that the wacky seat is the only issue you will have with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
kalch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Gracie:E92 335 19" S/P/FL/CA

i don't think in this case there is really a "return" option for this vehicle.
enless the dealer knowingly sold you a faulty car, or the car is in the shop for multiple multiple issues, deal with this seat issue.

I can use your passion as I travel down the road for a replacement 335 cab.
      07-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear your new car is causing so much frustration- but honestly, you can't be serious in asking for a new car. That's akin to getting into a fender bender and demanding a new car from your insurance company, when all you need is a new bumper and some paint. Not gonna happen.

You've got every right to express your frustration, concern and unhappiness. Make it known to BMW Canada; that your dealership is not up to the standard you expected when you bought a premium brand vehicle, and that you expect your car be fixed promptly, and completely; the first time. Otherwise, there's not much you can do.

Good luck.
      07-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

My opinion is that asking for a new car is too much.
BMW Canada has regional BMW reps that work directly for BMW and you should arrange to meet with the one in your area to resolve your issue if you feel it has not been resolved by the dealer - and i'm not saying exchanging for a new car since that probably won't happen - you can try but personally i think your chances are very slim.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
maximus
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

The aftermath

Just an update on this issue.....

After some deliberation between the regional manager and the service manager of my dealership, they've deemed that a full maintenance package for the duration of my 3 years lease was sufficient for my past month's frustration with the vehicle. This would include the brakes and wipers etc. everything that the warranty doesn't include. However, in 3 years or less, when would I need to replace my brakes ? It's not very likely and I don't think this is the type of compensation I was looking for. Granted, asking for a new car was a stretch but my free month's lease/money towards accessories seemed resonable and they balked at both of those requests. I've expressed my dissatisfaction with this offer and have re-iterated my stance.

Next question is: How far am I willing to/should I take this ?
Appreciate 0