E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > wastegate rattle fix

09-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
alexx03
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

i have an 07 335i(no warranty) and the wastegate rattle is starting to get really annoying an embarrassing. does anyone know around what price i would be looking at to get this fixed?
from what i have read they try software updates,then rod and actuator and if it still happens then they change the turbos.
also would this be a permanent fix or just a temporary fix until they start rattling again?
let me know,thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
416Black335iS
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Black Coupe

Sorry to hear man that sucks given out of warranty for such an awesome engine. Members here are good about giving advice but many seem to have cars still under warranty or extended warranty so they might not have $ estimates ready at hand.

My 2 cents:
When I was researching and shopping around to buy a 335i out of warranty. I was told the wastegate rattle will eventually surface and would be around $3.5k to properly resolve with new turbos.
Forget software fixes as they come with side effects...its a clear mechanical issue with the actuator arm. Add to that the HPFP issues, I just chose practicality over fun and settled with a 328i off warranty.

Anyway you probably have already done your research but here are two good posts. PM anyone of those guys to get more details on quotes and fixes if necessary.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...stegate+rattle

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...stegate+rattle

09-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Black328i View Post
Sorry to hear man that sucks given out of warranty for such an awesome engine. Members here are good about giving advice but many seem to have cars still under warranty or extended warranty so they might not have $ estimates ready at hand.

My 2 cents:
When I was researching and shopping around to buy a 335i out of warranty. I was told the wastegate rattle will eventually surface and would be around $3.5k to properly resolve with new turbos.
Forget software fixes as they come with side effects...its a clear mechanical issue with the actuator arm. Add to that the HPFP issues, I just chose practicality over fun and settled with a 328i off warranty.

Anyway you probably have already done your research but here are two good posts. PM anyone of those guys to get more details on quotes and fixes if necessary.]
Sorry to hear about your choice to be safe and get a 328i instead due to fears of HPFP failures. I remember being in your shoes and did so much research because I was fearing the same. The turbocharger warranties have actually been extended and are considered a recall when involving the HPFP.

OP, I think it's well over $1000 to fix. That's if you can even get your actuator arms to move, my rear is seized and only god knows what shape the front one is in. They are very difficult to adjust and labourous at that...If you have $4-5k to spend you can buy RB's and that'll solve your problem.

You can also try a dealer to do goodwill or discount with the help of BMW Canada, but that's doubtful unfortunately. They are aware of the issues, however have yet to acknowledge; hang tight tho, it'll be extended for us too after the lawsuit in U.S.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexx03 View Post
i have an 07 335i(no warranty) and the wastegate rattle is starting to get really annoying an embarrassing. does anyone know around what price i would be looking at to get this fixed?
from what i have read they try software updates,then rod and actuator and if it still happens then they change the turbos.
also would this be a permanent fix or just a temporary fix until they start rattling again?
let me know,thanks
Your going to spend +-10 hours for a mechanic to take the turbo's out so calculate what thats going to cost. When you find that number, multiply by 3 and thats what BMW mechanics will charge.

If you really need to get them out, send the cores out and get them redone. There is a company that will do both turbo rebuild and upgraded wastegates for $900 which is an unreal deal. You won't ever have to worry about it again. (PM me if you want the contact info for the company that does the rebuild.)

If you don't wanna do that, get straight pipes on your car like I did yesterday and it will be so loud you won't be able to hear yourself think let alone a lousy lemon wastegate haha
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Bigtimekegger
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

When life gives you lemons just get a Mercedes.... Kidding
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
alexx03
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

thanks for all the info guys
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I have an 06 build.
rattle since birth
I did two things.
one had my mechanic tighten the actuator rod about a full turn on the rear turbo.
second bought a procede and set the rattle fix to about 80 % i belive.
now, when cold start up it still happens, after about 5-10 min of driving i never hear it.
My experience, and I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
I have an 06 build.
rattle since birth
I did two things.
one had my mechanic tighten the actuator rod about a full turn on the rear turbo.
now, when cold start up it still happens, after about 5-10 min of driving i never hear it.
OP try this as well it couldn't hurt. If this doesn't solve the problem look into the rebuild I sent you the information for.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

I believe BMW ext the warranty on the turbos to 83,000 miles. So take it to a dealer if you're under that
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
I believe BMW ext the warranty on the turbos to 83,000 miles. So take it to a dealer if you're under that
They did this for US cars. Canadian cars didn't get the extended warranty, we don't sue enough like the Americans.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
They did this for US cars. Canadian cars didn't get the extended warranty, we don't sue enough like the Americans.
Oh I'm sorry, I assumed it was all of North America
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I assumed it was all of North America
Haha it SHOULD be all North American cars that's for sure but unfortunately BMW Canada doesn't share the same feelings as most of us on here regarding the extended warranty for our turbo's and wastegates.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
I have an 06 build.
rattle since birth
I did two things.
+1

Dialed my rattle out with the Procede set at 60%.
Drove around for an hour one night with my laptop trying different settings until I found the most effective value.
      09-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

OP,
You are SOL, just like me.
I have tried few dealership in the GTA and all notice the waste gate rattle but once out of warranty, nothing "they" can do.
I have shared the US extended warranty and the law suit and they LOVE the fact that is not in canada so we are shafted. 328 in reliability is a better choice (and warranty helps for sure).
Appreciate 0