E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Phone kit - Phone OR music, but not both?!

09-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Reardy Mister
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 325, Space Grey w/black

Phone kit - Phone OR music, but not both?!

My car is phone prepped in the centre arm rest and has shark fin aerial but it doesnt have a cradle fitted for the phone of my choice yet.

On enquiring this morning at the local stealer, it turns out I can have a cradle that charges the phone and makes use of the aerial, but it wont pull music off the phone. If I want music, I need to revert back to the lead via the aux input and plug adapter.

That cant be right, shirley? If I'm in the car I want the phone plugged in to charge and get a good signal and I want to pull music off it as well. Whats the point in separeting the functions for one or the other?

Anyone know of an alternative?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Whose Shirley?

What they have told you is right! I made the same head-banging discovery after I bought the iPhone dock for my car.

I believe the only exception is if you have the combox in which case you can play music over bluetooth and possibly over the cradle too (?), but I am sure someone else can confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Reardy Mister
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 325, Space Grey w/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Whose Shirley?

What they have told you is right! I made the same head-banging discovery after I bought the iPhone dock for my car.

I believe the only exception is if you have the combox in which case you can play music over bluetooth and possibly over the cradle too (?), but I am sure someone else can confirm this?
Apparently so. And the guy reckons the widget that allows both cant be retrofit either.

Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Hope
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reardy Mister View Post
Apparently so. And the guy reckons the widget that allows both cant be retrofit either.

Brilliant.
You would need to retrofit a combox (with or without telematics), that is if your car is a facelift. It has been done I have read quite a lot about it, but it isn't something I fancy doing myself

I just loaded all the songs on to the car. I imagine your car isn't the hard drive based nav?
Appreciate 0