F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Most economical/convenient method for snow tires
proTUNING Freaks

08-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Most economical/convenient method for snow tires

I have an 2013 335 x-drive sport line on order (lease). Currently in a 2009 335 x-drive. I have previously just done with the all seasons but I'm in Cleveland now and thinking of putting snows on. Just wondering if people here have suggestions on the most economical and convenient way of doing this? Have it done through BMW dealer? Chain tire place like National tire and battery? I don't really want to also buy rims for the winter since it's a just a 3 year lease. I want to make sure TPMS gets set up correctly and balancing is done well. Will places store your other tires so I don't have to transport them home and store them?

Also it seems options are limited for 18" snow run flats. Any suggestions there?

Thanks.

Last edited by cardsdoc; 08-31-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I lucked out.

I bought a set of Dunlop Sport M3's off of craigslist, $100. The guy even dropped them off to my work. I swear they are as new.

I also scored OZ Superleggeras which would normally cost $1500+ with only 2000 miles on them and are mint, $375 from a BMW tech friend.

So scour the forums and CL, there are deals to be had.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

We have a rwd M Sport w/summer tires, so I need another set for winter - I'm going to do same thing I did for our departed [rwd] G35 - not sure if this plan is feasible/convenient for your situation, but I get a wheel & tire set from Tire Rack for about a grand, then I keep them in the garage & when time to change, I put them in truck (now GTI) and we take both cars 3 miles to local tire shop and pay them a measly $20 to do a "rotation". This is partly bcz it's convenient/bad back/lazy.

Overall I think this is pretty economical - you don't want to keep unmounting/remounting different tires on one set of rims twice a year - the cost of a second set of rims will make up for that (mounting/balancing costs) in not much time and, just as important, you will save time at tire shop by having two sets of rims.

I don't worry about TPMS while the car has its winter shoes on - I get non-RFT winter tires (I recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks) and just let the indicator light stay on for three months. Not worth the cost/trouble to fuss w/TPMS for short period.

Don't do this thru BMW dealer - not economical - they charge about $700 for ONE winter wheel/tire. You can always save the extra rims/tires for your next BMW to use, or sell them.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Thanks. Useful advice. Besides the cost/time of unmounting/remounting is it bad for the tires to do this twice a year? I would rather save the money and get a good well reviewed snow like the blizzak but without a spare and often having my 3 year old and wife with me I would be more comfortable with run flats and TPMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
We have a rwd M Sport w/summer tires, so I need another set for winter - I'm going to do same thing I did for our departed [rwd] G35 - not sure if this plan is feasible/convenient for your situation, but I get a wheel & tire set from Tire Rack for about a grand, then I keep them in the garage & when time to change, I put them in truck (now GTI) and we take both cars 3 miles to local tire shop and pay them a measly $20 to do a "rotation". This is partly bcz it's convenient/bad back/lazy.

Overall I think this is pretty economical - you don't want to keep unmounting/remounting different tires on one set of rims twice a year - the cost of a second set of rims will make up for that (mounting/balancing costs) in not much time and, just as important, you will save time at tire shop by having two sets of rims.

I don't worry about TPMS while the car has its winter shoes on - I get non-RFT winter tires (I recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks) and just let the indicator light stay on for three months. Not worth the cost/trouble to fuss w/TPMS for short period.

Don't do this thru BMW dealer - not economical - they charge about $700 for ONE winter wheel/tire. You can always save the extra rims/tires for your next BMW to use, or sell them.
      08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
Thanks. Useful advice. Besides the cost/time of unmounting/remounting is it bad for the tires to do this twice a year? I would rather save the money and get a good well reviewed snow like the blizzak but without a spare and often having my 3 year old and wife with me I would be more comfortable with run flats and TPMS.
I wouldn't be un-mounting your tires and remounting your summer tires twice a year

Get a second set of rims for your snow tires. It's not ideal for the sidewall to have to deal with that stress twice a year.

Not to mention, the money you'll save by having to pay 90-150 for mounting each time will cover at least some of the cost of a second set of wheels. I understand you don't want a second set of wheels, but you will be able to sell them at the end of the lease to get some money back.

It will be much less of a Pain in the rear end long term.
Appreciate 0