E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer lied when buying car

08-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Shearer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
Dealer lied when buying car

Hey guys,

I just got my 2008 e90 335i in May and when I bought it, I asked the dealer to do an oil change before I take delivery. The salesman told me he will ensure that is done, and in fact, he'll make sure a full service will be done as well.

I picked up the car thinking that they'd be done and didn't think anything of it until I was involved in an accident recently and the repair shop told me that they noticed my oil looks really sticky and black. They were not trying to sell me one and instead they suggested that I bring it back to the dealer to have them take care of it.

I went the dealer and talked to the salesman I dealt with. He said he can get service dept. to check the oil for me. The SA pulled up my car history and noticed the last oil change was in August 2011 and that my car would be eligible for a low mileage oil change. Then he looked into my warranty info. and it had JUST expired as my car was sitting at 80,3XX kms (warranty is up to 80k). He said because my CPO will not cover this, I'll have to pay out of my own pocket.

The salesman was with me the whole time and at this point he starts making some BS excuse that the car doesn't need an oil change yet blah blah blah. I reminded him of what he promised me and he finally said he'll talk to his manager and get back to me in a couple of days.

Well, 1.5 weeks passed and no contact whatsoever (obviously) and I called him today. He told me the manager said no can do, and there's nothing they can do about it.

At this point, what's my best option? Where should I direct this complaint to get the dealer to take care of a service that was promised to me?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
gonick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

You should have gotten it in writing. I learned the hard way too and now whenever a dealership makes promises I always get it in writing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Change it yourself.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

A dealer lied? No way! Never believe a dealer, salesman, etc unless you can confirm yourself. I've never asked a person selling a car a question, because the answer is usually what you want to hear.
      08-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonick View Post
You should have gotten it in writing. I learned the hard way too and now whenever a dealership makes promises I always get it in writing.
+11111111111

I learned this lesson the hard way as well...
Make sure to get EVERYTHING the salesman promises you in writing.

One solution is to actually speak with the Sales manager personally.
You never know if the salesman even said anything to his manager about a verbal agreement.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

If you believe the salesman i have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR
If you believe the salesman i have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
George Strait! I remember that song!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Im in sales at a dealership, regardless there are still shady guys out there. I even work with some. We have things in place to make sure they get done, they go by many names. We Owe, Due Bill, Delivery List, and so on. I cant remember most of the time what was promised but we have that paperwork to protect us the sales people when someone comes in and states something along the lines of I was promised, or someone told me this would be done and so on. It works both ways. Just as much as you think we are bad people, a customer will lie to us the whole way into a car deal then when the leave they come back and try to get something else. Salespeople are crooks, buyers are liars. No matter who you talk to at a dealership, they are all concerned with one thing, the bottom line. If you get to the top and the answer is still no, then I suggest you get an oil change.

Ive bought many cars in my day, Ive been run around as well so I know what your up against. Last car I purchased I didnt buy from my dealership and they tried to get slick with me. Only real weapon on your side is the might pen, without the ink on the paper saying it gets done, you may as well bring a straw to the gun fight.

Long story short, other than bashing them on the internet which really has no real effect on us, or keep calling for a manager. Again they might help, they might not. 4 months later, they probably not do anything. I have the 2nd highest customer view point score in my region, yet Google says Im the devil. Strange how such bad things can be said against me and the dealership yet every day we sell cars. This isnt to discourage you but hopefully understand its a business like any other.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

The car was never past due for an oil change. Just change it and get on with life. It is so not worth making a federal case out of an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
BiliBug
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Im in sales at a dealership...

This isnt to discourage you but hopefully understand its a business like any other.
While that may be true, there is a perception and certain customer expectation when purchasing a BMW. I also had a very bad recent CPO buying experience at a local BMW dealer. In my case, however, the General Manager and Service Manager went out of their way to try to better the situation. Unfortunately, the additional services performed were done sub-par, and I have pretty much decided to never return to that dealership again.

One thing I took away from my experience: As quoted by my Sales Advisor, "You're buying a used car. It is going to have issues." Probably the most realistic thing he said.

While BMW promotes CPO vehicles as being "almost like new", in my experience, the reality is that dealerships cut corners when performing the pre-certification service. Instead of changing all fluids and consumables for the new owner, they only perform the services absolutely necessary for the vehicle to be deemed "operational within specifications". Same goes for the reconditioning of cosmetic elements (paint, dents, interior wear, etc.). The first car I looked at was not well cared for. The dealer tried to use the reconditioning as a bargaining chip to not negotiate on the price. The car that I did buy, while in much better condition, still had issues that in my opinion should have been corrected as part of the CPO process. A CPO car should be reconditioned to the absolute best condition possible before you even see it. That is what BMW advertising is leading you to believe.

As far as the rest of Goofyguy's comments, he is absolutely correct in that any expected work or alterations (from dent repair to floor mats) should be documented in writing (I think a We Owe is the most common way). It is part of a contract. Always document the details of a contract in writing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
before i knew about bmws supposably my car is the sports package and they are hooking me up & shit they charged me for carpets saying they were hooking me up had to pay cash under the table cus of a "discount" all of these were lies & i got robbed lol..but you learn from your mistakes..have everything in writing
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

At this point I suggest you blast this guy's name, your sales agent, and the dealer so that they will lose some potential customers.

I'm sorry you had a bad agent. I had a great sales agent. When i put a deposit down to order my car, i backed out. I knew i would forfeit my deposit but my SA called me a week later out if the blue to tell me that he got my deposit refunded. It was this gesture that earned him my business 3 months later when I ordered the car again from him.

Watch out for douchebag sales advisors
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I've always received a list in writing of things the dealer owes me. Like floor mats, repairs etc. I would just get it done and don't bother with the dealer. Seems like a cut off your nose to spite your face situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #14
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
The car was never past due for an oil change. Just change it and get on with life. It is so not worth making a federal case out of an oil change.
100% agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

My dealer did a full service and oil change without me even asking when I got it. That really sucks for you, but you have to get stuff written and signed on paper
      08-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Hmmm...It's the principle, I know but damn...can't believe they are fighting you for a $90 job. That's just shady.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

You know what I think it often comes down to, is business processes that are in place. For example, amazon.com doesn't ever seem to make a mistake. the phone company, always seems to F things up. Processes.

The sales guy is out-of-line promising anything related to service, imho that's the problem. He's making a false promise to make the sale, and one he cannot deliver on. If it were that simple, all you have to do is to tell the SA that the salesman said you can get an oil change, and they'll do it just on those words. But the sales guy cannot dictate what service will be done.

Too bad BMW doesn't just let you do things without all those money-grubbing people who work for the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Too many people seem to be delusional about what a CPO car is. It is just a used car with a factory-backed extended warranty. Sure, every dealer could put every little thing right and bring the car to "as new" condition. But then nobody would want to pay for them. If you want new, buy new. In the end we all drive used cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

that what sales people do
they lie....
      08-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

obviously they lied. they're car salesmen.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
While that may be true, there is a perception and certain customer expectation when purchasing a BMW. I also had a very bad recent CPO buying experience at a local BMW dealer. In my case, however, the General Manager and Service Manager went out of their way to try to better the situation. Unfortunately, the additional services performed were done sub-par, and I have pretty much decided to never return to that dealership again.

One thing I took away from my experience: As quoted by my Sales Advisor, "You're buying a used car. It is going to have issues." Probably the most realistic thing he said.

While BMW promotes CPO vehicles as being "almost like new", in my experience, the reality is that dealerships cut corners when performing the pre-certification service. Instead of changing all fluids and consumables for the new owner, they only perform the services absolutely necessary for the vehicle to be deemed "operational within specifications". Same goes for the reconditioning of cosmetic elements (paint, dents, interior wear, etc.). The first car I looked at was not well cared for. The dealer tried to use the reconditioning as a bargaining chip to not negotiate on the price. The car that I did buy, while in much better condition, still had issues that in my opinion should have been corrected as part of the CPO process. A CPO car should be reconditioned to the absolute best condition possible before you even see it. That is what BMW advertising is leading you to believe.

As far as the rest of Goofyguy's comments, he is absolutely correct in that any expected work or alterations (from dent repair to floor mats) should be documented in writing (I think a We Owe is the most common way). It is part of a contract. Always document the details of a contract in writing.
Again I work for a Ford dealer, the comment about cutting corners is almost always true. I hate seeing it happen, I more times than not fight the other way around. As a salesperson every customer is my next meal, I try to treat each one as I would want to be treated.

One secret to dealing with anyone in any service business. Kindness will almost always win over being rude or loud. I cant tell you how many times the snotty guy who thinks hes the king of buying car loses against me. The next customer who comes in, polite, nice, not mean at all. I will do all I can to get them a great deal, where as the douche I will buy a nice set of wheels of his ass.

I would go to the next level up and simply say I purchased this a short time ago and let me show you the oil, this should have been handled before I took delivery. Im nost asking for an alignment, or free anything. All I would like is that the oil change be taken care of. It doesnt cost you much and I will make it a point to come back if the service from here out is above quality.

Most dealerships are multiple companys under 1 hat. Sales Service Part usually have only the title of the dealership tying them together. Where you can have a terrible sales experience, might be the nicest service department you have ever seen. Ive seen it many times, heck even my dealership one is praised the other is avoided. You may want to bring you car into service and ask for the service manager and explain what is going on. As it was his department that did the work, he may stand behind his work and do the job for you. The sales department has to pay for the service to do the job, where as the service manager can write it off for Customer Service reasons which will also include you giving service a survey. If they do that for you is there any reason you wouldnt praise them on the work?

Simple little things inside this business are what confuse the masses. Like I said I work in sales, have nearly the highest customer scores in the region. I have the slimeball sales people that work here as well so I see it happen daily. Dont fall to that level, keep your head up, temper cool, and it will work out for you. There are all types in this job, although I get labled slime at the end of the day its a job. The opinons of the masses make me laugh as if you were to be in my shoes a few days you would think the opposite is more true.

OOOOH getting long winded, avoid anyone with hair GEL!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Good salespeople (I know it's already an oxymoron two words into the sentence) actually earn business. They are so good people wish they could find other salespeople like them.

Without getting into the details, this VP wanted to get something with a fairly large recurring cost, but wasteful. I called our account exec to ask him what he thought, and he said I wouldn't do that, it's really cost prohibitive. What? You're turning down enough business to probably take the next month off? He goes I'm not looking to make a quick sale and then run. I'm looking to handle your firm for the next 10 years. No joke, turning down a sale for what makes sense, he actually earned my respect.
Appreciate 0