F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Problem with remote -- alarm siren goes off
Studio RSR

08-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Deinonych
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Problem with remote -- alarm siren goes off

Hello,

I have a 2012 335i that I've had a little over a month. It has ~1200 miles on it.

Got into my car this evening and the alarm started going off as soon as I turned on the ignition. At first I thought it was another car nearby. I tried hitting the unlock button on the remote, but the alarm wouldn't deactivate. I had to wait for it to completely cycle off before driving home.

I thought it was a one-time glitch, but it happened again when I went back out to my car. This time, the car was unlocked and the alarm went off as soon as I opened the door. After the alarm cycled off, I tried locking and unlocking with the remote but the alarm kept going off as if the remote hadn't deactivated it.

On a whim, I tried locking and unlocking the car with the secondary remote, and the alarm didn't go off. I ended up using the secondary remote while running errands this evening with no erroneous alarms sounding. So, it seems something is wrong with my primary remote. I performed the "emergency remote detection" procedure in the manual on the primary remote, and drove the car around the block. The alarm didn't go off this time, but I'm not sure if it will permanently resolve the problem.

I think I'm going to call my service center tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what is going on?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Deinonych
Rep

Emergency remote detection didn't solve the problem. Just tried driving it around the block again, and the alarm went off. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

Very annoying, No display messages ? Circumstances like open sunroof (when applicable) ? Think better have urgent advise and help from service agent. Could you keep us posted on the outcome ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Deinonych
Rep

No display message or open windows/doors/trunks. I also noticed that the car doesn't beep when I arm the alarm now. Something funky is definitely going on. I have an appointment this morning with the service center. Will advise on the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Deinonych
Rep

Just got a call back from my service advisor. The car has been at the dealer for most of the day and they can't figure out what is wrong yet. I'm not too surprised. Hopefully they'll figure it out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Deinonych
Rep

Update on my car -- initial diagnosis pointed to the siren control module being defective. Dealer ordered the part on Thursday, but it didn't arrive until today. Unfortunately, replacing it didn't resolve the problem. Now they are going to replace the "roof module" (whatever that is) which means ordering another part. Hopefully they'll get it figured out quickly, 'cause I'm having withdrawal symptoms from not driving my car!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
LousyShot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

If the roof module is anything like the E90s, it is a box with a set of ultrasonic detectors that fits in the front seat maplight enclosure near the sunroof switch.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Deinonych
Rep

Turns out the roof module is not in stock in the US and has to be ordered from Germany. Good news is that they are going to temporarily disable the siren so I can drive my car while they wait to receive the replacement. I also asked them to program Last User Mode on the Auto Start-Stop while it's at the service center.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Deinonych
Rep

Finally got my car back today. They were able to fix the problem without having to wait for the roof module. The problem was faulty wiring in the roof module. They repaired/replaced the wiring harness and now everything works again. Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but will serve as a reference in case it happens to someone else.

I also had them reprogram the auto start-stop to Last User Mode while it was in the shop.

Glad to have my car back.
Appreciate 0