F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Opti-Coat - pro detailer recommendations in Ontario?
Studio RSR

08-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
jameh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Opti-Coat - pro detailer recommendations in Ontario?

So I've been reading a lot of great things about Opti-Coat on here and on Autopia, and I'm really interested in finding a place to properly fully prep the car and then Opti-Coat it. I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo, but I'd go anywhere from KW to Guelph to Hamilton to Mississauga if it was worth it. Places downtown TO are a bit too far though; the closer to KW, the better.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good local pro detailer that could do this in the southern Ontario area?
      08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameh View Post
So I've been reading a lot of great things about Opti-Coat on here and on Autopia, and I'm really interested in finding a place to properly fully prep the car and then Opti-Coat it. I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo, but I'd go anywhere from KW to Guelph to Hamilton to Mississauga if it was worth it. Places downtown TO are a bit too far though; the closer to KW, the better.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good local pro detailer that could do this in the southern Ontario area?
Concourstouch.com. Bryan will come to your place, but check with him if he'll go that far. He did an excellent job on mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
jameh
Canada
Rep

Thanks bananachipz, I'll look into that. If he does come all the way out to KW, I'll be impressed. ;-)
      08-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Shep1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i msport;135i m convertible

Jameh - I am curious as to what happened with this. Did you get the Opti Coat on your car. I am in Kitchener and I have a 335 arriving in September (hopefully) and I am wondering if I should have this applied to my car. Did you contact the guy referred by Bananachipz.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Bryan (Concours) is NO longer mobile. He has setup permanent shop (just like Kevin and WesR)

There are couple others who work from their own home garages (both are in Markham area) as well. For simply Opticoat, the current market price charged by these detailers are in the $250 range. Of course, before the Opticoat can be applied, the detailers will need to perform paint correction first, therefore, that's another $200 range. In all, do budget around $400 - $450 for the opticoat job.

btw, if interested, Brian's shop started to operate this past week and he has mentioned he will be updating his website within a week or so.

One detailer I found (thru the Subie & Toyota forum), he can do the above job for around $250, incl. opticoat application. I have seen pics of his work from the blogs and they are excellent work, if I may say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Concourstouch.com. Bryan will come to your place, but check with him if he'll go that far. He did an excellent job on mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Bryan (Concours) is NO longer mobile. He has setup permanent shop (just like Kevin and WesR)

There are couple others who work from their own home garages (both are in Markham area) as well. For simply Opticoat, the current market price charged by these detailers are in the $250 range. Of course, before the Opticoat can be applied, the detailers will need to perform paint correction first, therefore, that's another $200 range. In all, do budget around $400 - $450 for the opticoat job.

btw, if interested, Brian's shop started to operate this past week and he has mentioned he will be updating his website within a week or so.

One detailer I found (thru the Subie & Toyota forum), he can do the above job for around $250, incl. opticoat application. I have seen pics of his work from the blogs and they are excellent work, if I may say so.
Brian charged me $350 for a mobile application.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Did he use opti coat or cquartz? And do those products really only last a couple years??
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Did he use opti coat or cquartz? And do those products really only last a couple years??
opti-coat... It's virtually permanent
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

So this is the guy from councours or whatever....ok. That Brian guy seems to post all over the place. Some posts he says if you want to detail your car a lot, on your own, opti coat isnt necessary. I dont know what group I'm in. I seem to love getting out and washing the cars until late June, early July, then it kinda dies down. In any case, none of the detailing nuts like automated car washes...regardless of the paint treatment.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
cjs033
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport Line

Information from Brian Cheng on Opti-Coat.

For those who have been asking, this may help you decide if it's right for you...

"Opti-Coat is a permanent coating. The only way to remove Opti-Coat is to use abrasives to remove it. An example would be polishing. If you are one to detail your car every year or twice a year (such as wash, clay, polish, seal, wax) there is no point in Opti-Coat because you will end up removing the Opti-Coat that you paid for when you polish the paint. The whole point in Opti-Coat is the idea that you never have to wax again because it lasts forever. It's a permanent wax basically. If you enjoy polishing your car every 6 months the Opti-Coat is sort of a waste of money. Opti-Coat has many advantages over wax apart from its durability - increased harness and scratch resistance and fantastic hydrophobic abilities. So you need to look at the benefits and disadvantages before you decide. The only real disadvantage is that it lasts too long. So there is no point in removing it and reapplying it unless there are scratches and swirls in the Opti-Coat. For my personal cars I don't use Opti-Coat because I use sealant and wax every 6 months. If I just wanted to detail the car once and have it lasts a long time I would use Opti-Coat. If you take care of an Opti-Coated car it should lasts you a very long time swirl and scratch free. "

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
jameh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep1 View Post
Jameh - I am curious as to what happened with this. Did you get the Opti Coat on your car. I am in Kitchener and I have a 335 arriving in September (hopefully) and I am wondering if I should have this applied to my car. Did you contact the guy referred by Bananachipz.
Heyo, sorry I didn't reply earlier... had a "disagreement" with a Jeep Liberty while biking to work, and have been put up with a very broken ankle.

Yeah, bananachipz guy isn't mobile, and he wouldn't have come to KW anyway I don't think. I just haven't found any serious detailers in the KW area, so I ended up going with the next closest thing: Mississauga.

Kevin from GTA in Detail was recommended and I limped my way over, even on my crutches, last Saturday. Totally worth it. He gave me a new car prep (interior/exterior, everything) with the Opti-Coat application. Car looks INCREDIBLE now. The paint was pretty rough coming from the dealer, and it's buttery smooth now, loving the Opti-Coat. Took about 6 hours to complete everything, but worth it.

Hopefully I'll have some before/after videos from Kevin soon; will share.

Side note about Opti-Coat: one detailer I contacted in London (older dude) said he doesn't do Opti-Coat because he's not convinced it's not snake oil. I have to say, the paint looks and feels very different with the Opti-Coat on, and I made the choice to go with it based on tests people have done like this: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html
      08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameh View Post
Heyo, sorry I didn't reply earlier... had a "disagreement" with a Jeep Liberty while biking to work, and have been put up with a very broken ankle.

Yeah, bananachipz guy isn't mobile, and he wouldn't have come to KW anyway I don't think. I just haven't found any serious detailers in the KW area, so I ended up going with the next closest thing: Mississauga.

Kevin from GTA in Detail was recommended and I limped my way over, even on my crutches, last Saturday. Totally worth it. He gave me a new car prep (interior/exterior, everything) with the Opti-Coat application. Car looks INCREDIBLE now. The paint was pretty rough coming from the dealer, and it's buttery smooth now, loving the Opti-Coat. Took about 6 hours to complete everything, but worth it.

Hopefully I'll have some before/after videos from Kevin soon; will share.

Side note about Opti-Coat: one detailer I contacted in London (older dude) said he doesn't do Opti-Coat because he's not convinced it's not snake oil. I have to say, the paint looks and feels very different with the Opti-Coat on, and I made the choice to go with it based on tests people have done like this: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html
Congrats man. 4 months and counting for mine, and it's shining like day 1.

The guys that think it's "snake oil" are usually the ones who are worried their clients won't come back every couple months for a polish and wax. I was so skeptical of it as well at first, but after seeing and reading real world reviews of it, I was convinced. Now that I've had it for four months I can tell you it is the real deal. The dudes on Autopia are the most fickle bunch when it comes to detailing products - and it gets almost universal praise there too. Optimum is a great company. They are owned by a real chemist (Dr. G).

The only reason people have stated on Autopia that they don't like Opti-Coat is because either it doesn't have the shine of waxes, or they enjoy polishing and waxing their cars. The latter I can understand, but as I get older I have less and less time.

Sucks that Bryan isn't mobile anymore. I guess it's tough to sustain any sort of growth as a business doing that. Good to see the *********** guy hooked you up. I've heard great things about them too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Hey Bananachipz,

Would you advise I do this on a white car? If you remember, I have an AW 335i. Should I get this applied or it doesnt matter as its not a metallic paint?
      08-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Hey Bananachipz,

Would you advise I do this on a white car? If you remember, I have an AW 335i. Should I get this applied or it doesnt matter as its not a metallic paint?
ESPECIALLY on a white car. one of the things you'll notice on white (especially after the winter) is contaminents oxidizing. it happens on all cars, but on white it shows up as little tiny "rust"" spots. Opti-Coat will minimize that for sure.

It's about protection and shine regardless of the colour. Check out a dude in the Australia forum who just had it done on AW: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=721231&page=2

scroll down for before/after shots.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
ESPECIALLY on a white car. one of the things you'll notice on white (especially after the winter) is contaminents oxidizing. it happens on all cars, but on white it shows up as little tiny "rust"" spots. Opti-Coat will minimize that for sure.

It's about protection and shine regardless of the colour. Check out a dude in the Australia forum who just had it done on AW: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=721231&page=2

scroll down for before/after shots.
I thought it wouldn't be so important for white or non-metallic coloured cars. You've got me thinking man...

I'll contact Brian.

Do you know how long he needs the car for? I cant afford to leave it for too long.
      08-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I thought it wouldn't be so important for white or non-metallic coloured cars. You've got me thinking man...

I'll contact Brian.

Do you know how long he needs the car for? I cant afford to leave it for too long.
Mine was about 4-5 hours total
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
jameh
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'll contact Brian.

Kevin took just over 6 hours for mine (the full interior/exterior "new car prep" with OC), but mine was a bit of a piece of work, lots of really hard water spots and improper buffing thanks to the dealer. Best to ask whomever you're considering and they'll let you know an estimate for your particular car.
      09-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
bryansbestwax
Banned
Rep
Drives: suv

Sucks that Bryan isn't mobile anymore. I guess it's tough to sustain any sort of growth as a business doing that. Good to see the *********** guy hooked you up. I've heard great things about them too.[/QUOTE]

I chose to continue on with accounting at Durham. On top of that my wife has some serious health issues. I wanted less stress for the time being, i may go mobile again in april/may.
Just so it's clear, matt had his entire car polished, pillars and all. We refined the paint and removed the scatches and a buffer trail.

Glad to hear its performing the way it should.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

Brian did an amazing job on mine and I have a BSM. Best investment I made, makes the car look amazing and washing it is a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Mt3vie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 M

if you happen to get a dent, how is it treated afterwardS?
Appreciate 0