E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Sirius screen frozen!! HELP!

07-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
e90user
Rep
Drives: 328i

Sirius screen frozen!! HELP!

Wow, I expected problems getting a bimmer, but not after day 5!!... So I'm listening to Howard Stern driving (nav version btw, and it is on the "details" screen) when i try to change the station with my idrive knob. The "back arrow" is highlighted and i press down on the knob. Nothing..I go down one level "where the name of the station is displayed. Press that..the highlighting goes away, all menus are now NOT highlighted.. i try to move up, down, left, right, turn the wheel, press again, NOTHING!... The only thing i was able to do to get it to unfreeze was hit the menu button, which brought me to the home screen...i go back to the entertainment by shifting the knob down, and it goes back to the "details" screen... i try to do the same thing and the same issue happens... Here's some other tidbits i have after playing around with it...

1. All other iDrive functions work fine - No Problems
2. I can change the station by pressing Up/Down on the steering wheel or left/right on the center console.
3. I can switch to CD/AUX/AM/FM by pressing the AM/FM button on the console or the mode button on the steering wheel. Once in any of those, everything works... But as soon as I select SAT again in the idrive screen, it goes back to the "Details" screen (p.s. details update in sat mode even when i change channels using the steering wheel buttons)...
4. I have ALREADY RESET THE IDRIVE using the two eject buttons + Radio power button.. didnt work..

Like seriously.. WTF.. i certainly didnt have problems like this in my previous car (lexus).. I heard horror stories about bmw, but thought it wouldnt happen to me and that they were exaggerating. Well, its been 5 days and i have to take the car into the shop.. id rather NOT have free service and never have to bring it in than have free service and bring it in every 5 days ! lol.. oh well.. other than this i love the car, its a pleasure to drive...

Can anyone offer any help? Anything else other than the two button reset i can try??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90user View Post
Can anyone offer any help? Anything else other than the two button reset i can try??
In the future, try not to listen to Howard Stern.

If everything else is working properly, it sounds like the sat receiver is faulty. As much as you dislike doing so, let BMW get the system working again. After all, you've paid for a warranty. Hopefully this is a minor, one-off problem.

FWIW, I've had problems with my iDrive and the "three-finger salute" has never worked.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
LENELSA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi A6 3.0 /BMW M240i

Press the voice button on your steering wheels and say "satellite categories"

This will wake up the Sirius ....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
dcar335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I just confirmed the exact problem e90user reported. I am not happy about the gremlins that live in my Idrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
I have seen this occur ONLY when the SAT signal is lost. I retried this several times and could get consistent results when signal is lost. The receiver does not know what to do.

Never had issues as long as I was actually receiving a signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
dcar335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I was receiving a signal and could cycle through my presets with the steering wheel buttons but could not access the top level menu through Idrive. The voice command "satellite presets" did not work but command "satellite categories" did. It has been working fine ever since. This has happened only once 7 months of ownership.
Appreciate 0