F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > automatic start/stopping problem
ARMA SPEED

08-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
echangf30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 MSport 335xi

automatic start/stopping problem

Good afternoon to you all. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the auto start shut off thing. Mine stalls sometimes and doesn't come back on. Do you think this is a fuel pump problem? When it shuts off it says its been turned off and i didn't even turn it off WTF.... Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

r u sure ?

EDIT: what do you do that you think might induce or that you think should make the car come back on ?

when it stalls and doesn't come back on... what do you do to continue driving ?

and when there are no problems... what do you feel good about ?

when you arrive to a complete stop or a red light... what does the instrument panel show on your car ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
It is possible your vehicle needs a software update.

There was an update which addressed ASS issues, including something similar to what you're describing.

Check with your dealer.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I think the ASS fix was only for 335's. The original poster doesn't indicate which model this occurred on.

I have a 328 and have had ASS stall the engine on me once.

The sequence was:

1. Engine auto stopped when I stopped at an intersection as it should have.
2. Engine tried to start automatically due to A/C demand, but stalled instead of starting. I did not remove my foot from the brake.
3. The car put up a message on the iDrive screen saying something like "the auto start/stop system has failed and is now disabled". The transmission (8AT) was automatically put into neutral.
4. I had to restart the engine and re-select D to continue.

I now leave the ASS system off all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
echangf30
Private
United_States
Rep

omfg. Frogman you are so helpful. you guys are right. this is exactley what is happening to me. Thanks for the info. i need to get this fixed asap. as
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
echangf30
Private
United_States
Rep

yes i am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
r u sure ?

EDIT: what do you do that you think might induce or that you think should make the car come back on ?

when it stalls and doesn't come back on... what do you do to continue driving ?

and when there are no problems... what do you feel good about ?

when you arrive to a complete stop or a red light... what does the instrument panel show on your car ?

As frogman says..... it is exactly what is happening. i have to restart the car and put it back in drive and i usually have to manually turn off the fuel saver thing. . I should go to the dealer right? Instrument panel says that the auto start thing is off when it doesn't come back on.

As to your question about what i feel good about it? Everything mang!!! i had a 06g35 that i just got rid of. First off i love the fact that the tires are the same size. looks amazing. its fast as sh** and its a beemer. What else can you ask for. I 4.7sec is prolly right.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echangf30 View Post
omfg. Frogman you are so helpful. you guys are right. this is exactley what is happening to me. Thanks for the info. i need to get this fixed asap. as
It looks like BMW has a service bulletin that may apply. It looks like if you complain to the dealer, they will set ASS on your car to default to the last setting.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636783

I already coded my car to do the same thing a while ago. When I turn it off, it stays off.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
It looks like BMW has a service bulletin that may apply. It looks like if you complain to the dealer, they will set ASS on your car to default to the last setting...
Yay, congratulations BMW, you are back on my "possible purchase" list.
      08-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
It is possible your vehicle needs a software update.

There was an update which addressed ASS issues, including something similar to what you're describing.

Check with your dealer.
+1 this. Mine had the same issues OP describes, a software update later and it's been perfect.
      08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
+1 this. Mine had the same issues OP describes, a software update later and it's been perfect.
I think this software update only applied to the 335i.

I have a 328i and have had an ASS stall once.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
sekitori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I think this software update only applied to the 335i.

I have a 328i and have had an ASS stall once.
I also have a 328i and mine has stalled twice within two weeks, both times in busy traffic. My dealer knows nothing about a software update, so I assume that you are correct in your assumption and that any updates are only for the 335i.

I now always shut off the ASS. The only time I will ever considering using it in the future is in gridlocked stop and go traffic. In that situation if the engine stalls, I can restart it without affecting traffic around me. It's disturbing to hear people honk their horns at you not because of anything you've done but because your car has a system which supposedly should work but occasionally doesn't.

If there is a future update, the only way I will hear about it is in this newsgroup. I definitely do not expect BMW to notify me of it.

Last edited by sekitori; 08-03-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekitori View Post
I also have a 328i and mine has stalled twice within two weeks, both times in busy traffic. My dealer knows nothing about a software update, so I assume that you are correct in your assumption and that any updates are only for the 335i.

I now always shut off the ASS. The only time I will ever considering using it in the future is in gridlocked stop and go traffic. In that situation if the engine stalls, I can restart it without affecting traffic around me. It's disturbing to hear people honk their horns at you not because of anything you've done but because your car has a system which supposedly should work but occasionally doesn't.

If there is a future update, the only way I will hear about it is in this newsgroup. I definitely do not expect BMW to notify me of it.
I never use it anymore. It alway shuts the car off when it's inconvenient. Like at a stop sighn after a quick stop, or a hill as I'm trying to merge into traffic. Pretty annoying actually.
      08-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I never use it anymore. It alway shuts the car off when it's inconvenient. Like at a stop sighn after a quick stop, or a hill as I'm trying to merge into traffic. Pretty annoying actually.
Hi neighbor.

Have you considered to some coding on your 3?

Svache has the codes and how to do it.
We need to get a cable.
Are you getting a cable? I'm not sure which one is needed, where we get it, or how much. I'm Svache knows.
I'm willing to go in on it and we can code our cars to whatever we like.

According to the service bulletin, if you complain to the dealer, then they can code the ASS to use "last mode". BMW should have put that in there from the beginning along with last mode for every drive setting too.
It will be great to have ASS turned off, sport mode on, and AT use all 8 speeds. This is how I'd like my 3 to setup every time I start it.

One thing I'd to code, if it's possible, is to allow the sport AT to use 7th and 8th gear even when in sport mode with the trans in auto mode.
Right now, if it's in sport mode the trans will only use up to 6th gear.
Does your 3 do this too?
I hope it's possible to code it so that it uses all 8 gears even in sport or sport+.

My 335i is due around the end of August.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Since noone seems able to use the search function:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...uto+start+stop

Quote SIB 12 06 12" (Service bulletin 10 12 00 09 00) to your dealer and he should be able to find it on his system. If he can't, complain to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Hi neighbor.

We need to get a cable.
Are you getting a cable? I'm not sure which one is needed, where we get it, or how much. I'm Svache knows.

According to the service bulletin, if you complain to the dealer, then they can code the ASS to use "last mode". BMW should have put that in there from the beginning along with last mode for every drive setting too.
It will be great to have ASS turned off, sport mode on, and AT use all 8 speeds. This is how I'd like my 3 to setup every time I start it.

One thing I'd to code, if it's possible, is to allow the sport AT to use 7th and 8th gear even when in sport mode with the trans in auto mode.
Does your 3 do this too?
I hope it's possible to code it so that it uses all 8 gears even in sport or sport+.

I wouldn't mind going in on the deal and going somewhere to get it coded. But what if there is a update that the dealer performs? Does it wipe out the coding? I'd like to shut ASS off, and windows auto up also mirrors fold in when I lock the car, and fold out when I unlock.

As for the 7& 8th gears in sport, the trick I use is when cruising I just up shift to 8th manually in sport mode. It works good when on the highway. Sport mode, firm steering and suspension and still good fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post

Quote SIB 12 06 12" (Service bulletin 10 12 00 09 00) to your dealer and he should be able to find it on his system. If he can't, complain to BMW NA.
Yep I knew about the dealer bulletin on ASS. But do you know if there is a headrest fix that makes it go down all the way? I hate that little gap and I can't put it all the way down!
      08-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Frankisme
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Hi neighbor.

We need to get a cable.

Does your 3 do this too?

I wouldn't mind going in on the deal and going somewhere to get it coded. But what if there is a update that the dealer performs? Does it wipe out the coding? I'd like to shut ASS off, and windows auto up also mirrors fold in when I lock the car, and fold out when I unlock.

As for the 7& 8th gears in sport, the trick I use is when cruising I just up shift to 8th manually in sport mode. It works good when on the highway. Sport mode, firm steering and suspension and still good fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post

Yep I knew about the dealer bulletin on ASS. But do you know if there is a headrest fix that makes it go down all the way? I hate that little gap and I can't put it all the way down!
I wish I could make the headrest go all the way down too. My dealer insists that position is only for shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I figured out as well, you have to go into manual mode and shift it up yourself.
It seems really stupid though to have to do that.
It makes no sense that BMW would program it that way.
Just because we want the firmer steering and more responsive throttle, that doesn't also mean we don't want less engine rpm at highway speeds.
I can see not going to 7th or 8th under say 60-65mph, but once we're at those speeds and above it should shift to highest gear.

We paid for an 8spd 'automatic' and it should give us 8 gears in automatic mode regardless if we are in eco, comfort, or sport mode.
It's such a glaring oversight.
After may last test drive I've started questioning my decision to go AT.
Too much BMW programming BS. That's one of the great things with MT, it's completely driver controlled without any button pushing hoops to jump through to get the gears you want when you want them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #18
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Just because we want the firmer steering and more responsive throttle, that doesn't also mean we don't want less engine rpm at highway speeds.
My guess is BMW assumes if you are in sport mode you are doing something more interesting than cruising in a straight line. At 65 MPH during spirited driving one would want to be in a lower gear; fifth or sixth would be the absolute highest one would want.

If anything, I find BMW's sport mode to be less aggressive than I would prefer, particularly for cornering after a high speed/hard braking entry. It stays in a much higher gear than it should, and slogs around the corner.

Tossing it into "manual" is a trivial fix for both minor issues. It's nice to have the flexibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I figured out as well, you have to go into manual mode and shift it up yourself.
It seems really stupid though to have to do that.
I can see not going to 7th or 8th under say 60-65mph, but once we're at those speeds and above it should shift to highest gear.

We paid for an 8spd 'automatic' and it should give us 8 gears in automatic mode regardless if we are in eco, comfort, or sport mode.
It's such a glaring oversight.
After may last test drive I've started questioning my decision to go AT.
Too much BMW programming BS. That's one of the great things with MT, it's completely driver controlled without any button pushing hoops to jump through to get the gears you want when you want them.
I really do miss my manual e90. I wish I could find a good condition e46 m3 manual to throw around on the weekends.
      08-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
My guess is BMW assumes if you are in sport mode you are doing something more interesting than cruising in a straight line. At 65 MPH during spirited driving one would want to be in a lower gear; fifth or sixth would be the absolute highest one would want.

If anything, I find BMW's sport mode to be less aggressive than I would prefer, particularly for cornering after a high speed/hard braking entry. It stays in a much higher gear than it should, and slogs around the corner.

Tossing it into "manual" is a trivial fix for both minor issues. It's nice to have the flexibility.
Your guess is a good one.

Yet, if one is in sport mode and needs the drive gears at 65mph, then we could move the lever over to the trans sport mode, which already gives a more aggressive shift nature and also doesn't give you 7th and 8th.
So why limit the top gear when in actual "auto" mode?

It doesn't make sense to me, given there are already flexible choices and solutions for spirited driving in sport auto mode.
I don't see the need to remove or not give that flexibility to drive in full auto
with over drive along with sport mode without having to go to manual.

I hope there is a code for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
AlwaysBMW50
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport 6 sp

automatic start / restart problems

Yes, I am having that problem also. My 2012 F30 335i delivered 5/31/12manual will not always restart after stopped in traffic: I usually have to push the clutch in a couple of times to get it to re-start as turning the steering wheel doesn't work. It is happening more frequently and my dealer has not been able to find a fix yet. I disable manually, but would like the feature to function properly. This is my 6th BMW, and otherwise I'm enjoying the car, but wished I had purchased a 2011 M3 as the F30 has less sportier handling than my previous 335i.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
echangf30
Private
United_States
Rep

Yess. Im going to the dealer thursday. ill give you all updates.
Appreciate 0