ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I take it back, I'm NOT a fan of Sport Button...

So I used to think the sport button was great, the extra sensitivity on the throttle was great when starting from a dig or even powering out of a turn leading into the straights. However, after this past weekend at Summit Point, I really did not like it at all. In fact, I always used the sport button on road courses but this one particular turn really demonstrated how overly touchy it is.

Turn 4, 'the chute' is considered the fastest turn on the main circuit and it leads into the slowest turn. Some consider turn 5 a throwaway but I don't think so. There's actually a very small straight between 5 and 6 in which you can gain some speed and same applies to the straight between 4 and 5. Granted you're not going full throttle but there's no reason to coast between 4 and 5 neither. As you shave off speed and graze the brakes slightly leading into 4, you want to get back on throttle and maintain. But every time I got on the gas ever so slightly, you'd still feel excessive weight transfer to the rear. And of course that doesn't help when you have to brake hard for a few seconds later for turn 5, and the weight comes back to the front again. It really upsets the balance of the car and I'm now convinced, sport button.. not a fan at least on the track.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 07-30-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Never was a fan, never will be a fan. I've tried to tell others on this forum how I believe it SUCKS (not you) and people fail to take my words of advice.

It's impossible to modulate the gas correctly with it on, unless you have a fairy foot and sprinkle pixie dust on the pedal when you do. It's either all ON/OFF.

I don't see how people think the stock pedal isn't okay that makes them go to sport mode. If you need WOT, hammer the damn thing down. It's not hard. Modulate is oh so buttery smooth with it, nice and controlled...linear path towards throttle.

I'm glad you've seen the light, hopefully others do as well before it ends them in a tank slapper and a spin into the grass.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Sport Mode is programmable

I agree, the factory ECU map for the Sport Mode had the TPS (throttle positon sensor) curve too high for my taste - made the pedal too twichy.

When I got my '06 ECU remapped, I saw that there were basically four or five curves you can tune (TPS, fuel, timing advance, etc) I had the engineer raise the stock parameters maybe 5%, and raise the Sport Mode parameters to 'fully tuned' - BUT we kept the flatter TPS curve, so the pedal's not so twitchy.

That's one advantage of dealing with a local tuning shop - you can make multiple drive-n-try adjustments.

Although, I'm pretty sure ECS would accomodate this change if you asked in the right way $$$ ?

RC

Last edited by blender; 07-30-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I love it on the highway, 4th gear +
      07-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

The highway (4th gear +) is the ONLY time I use the sport button. I agree with everyone.
Appreciate 0