E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Painting plastic venting

07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Painting plastic venting

Hey guys,

Like the title states. Has anyone tried painting their plastic venting (bumper). I'd really like to get a more aggressive look toy front end and before buying a new bumper of like to try blacking out the fog light and FMIC cover vents. ATM, I have the Aero kit package, however the grayish colour is killing it for me.

Do you sand the venting down and then plastidip it or is it simply spraying them and call it a day?

Also, are they easy to remove? I saw one thread about a guy using
Balloons, but I'd like to actually pull em off and get a nice thick coat on so it doesn't chip.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

Unless you are willing to remove the front bumper cover, you're going to have an uphill battle taking the vent grille pieces off. The center is possible to take out with some elbow grease, but there's just no way you're going to pull to the two grilles by the fog lights out.

Luckily, taking the front bumper cover off is actually a pretty easy job, and doing it is good practice if you ever want to do any modding up there in the future (aux oil cooler, removing headlights, etc etc).

If you don't want to remove the bumper, just tape and mask off your car around the grilles as well as you can, and spray away (no nee to sand) or use plastidip. The balloons blown up on the inside of the grills is a pretty inventive way of keeping the overspray off the intercooler n' such.

Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

i used the balloon it was easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Balloon method is safe for the intercooler. As far as the side grills go, I would just spray away as it's just plastic ducting behind it.
Appreciate 0