E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > IAT Issue with Procede Rev3 5-23?

07-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4/2015 X5 35d M

IAT Issue with Procede Rev3 5-23?

Running 5-23 Stage 1 on Rev3 w/ catless DPs and ER FMIC. Everything seems good, but boost seems low to me and power seems down a bit (will try and post a few datalogs in the morning as they are on my work PC).

The only thing seemingly weird so far is my IATs. they stay pretty much pinned at 83 degrees C regardless of load/rpm/boost/etc. It's been about 70 degrees F here for the past week, so why are my IATs showing so insanely hot, even at cruise? do i have a bad IAT sensor?

Thoughts? Based on the IAT Boost Correction map, the Procede should be pulling boost by 2lbs+ if its seeing 80 degrees C at the Inlet, so that would make sense why boost seems a little low and power feels down a bit.

Any insight would be great. I have a few codes, but they are all NLS/2-step related (11800+).

Thanks
1993 Porsche RS America - Polar Silver on Black - 229 of 701. Motion Control Coilovers - BBS LMs - 993TT Big Brakes - Roll bar - Recaro Sportster CS's - Golden Rod/Rothsport SSK - Full Race Billy Boat Exhaust - ERP camber kit
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Try downloading the new user software. There was an older version of the software that had a labeling error (degC should have been degF). It didn't effect the tune at all since it was just a display error. But it would certainly raise an eyebrow if you were reviewing datalogs. If you want to fix this quickly, just go to the data logging channel set-up and select Inlet Air Temp. Click on set-up and change "Deg C" to "Deg F". Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK. Will try that first thing. I am pretty sure i have the latest software as i downloaded it on Sunday

If it was just C in place of an F, then all is good. But shouldn't i see some rise in IATs under a 2nd through 4th WOT pull? It didn't go up at all. Just stayed bouncing around between 81 to 84. If all is good, then i'm seriously impressed with the ER FMIC!
1993 Porsche RS America - Polar Silver on Black - 229 of 701. Motion Control Coilovers - BBS LMs - 993TT Big Brakes - Roll bar - Recaro Sportster CS's - Golden Rod/Rothsport SSK - Full Race Billy Boat Exhaust - ERP camber kit
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Log your IATs from cold start up and see what they do. Then you'll know the initial conditions and you'll be able to make an accurate assessment of real values to logged values.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquick68 View Post
OK. Will try that first thing. I am pretty sure i have the latest software as i downloaded it on Sunday

If it was just C in place of an F, then all is good. But shouldn't i see some rise in IATs under a 2nd through 4th WOT pull? It didn't go up at all. Just stayed bouncing around between 81 to 84. If all is good, then i'm seriously impressed with the ER FMIC!
Yes, that is normal to not see much of a temp increase with a good FMIC. Especially if ambient temp is low (i.e., at night). And yes, it's just a matter of changing C to an F. If you are still seeing C in the datalog screen. Just click on the IAT log and press "P". The change the units from C to F.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yes, that is normal to not see much of a temp increase with a good FMIC. Especially if ambient temp is low (i.e., at night). And yes, it's just a matter of changing C to an F. If you are still seeing C in the datalog screen. Just click on the IAT log and press "P". The change the units from C to F.
OK. I see that you easily change the labelling from C to F, but does that mean its logging C or F to start with? I want to know what the actual temp is, so just changing the name is kinda confusing. I'm assuming its logging in F, but says C. If that's the case, then everything looks money on my datalogs.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquick68 View Post
OK. I see that you easily change the labelling from C to F, but does that mean its logging C or F to start with? I want to know what the actual temp is, so just changing the name is kinda confusing. I'm assuming its logging in F, but says C. If that's the case, then everything looks money on my datalogs.
It was always logging in F. It was just a labeling/typo error in the user interface. So changing it to "C" fixes that error. It does not make any change to the tune since the Procede always interpreted it as degF. And yes, everything looks money in your logs. That FMIC is doing a good job.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
It was always logging in F. It was just a labeling/typo error in the user interface. So changing it to "C" fixes that error. It does not make any change to the tune since the Procede always interpreted it as degF. And yes, everything looks money in your logs. That FMIC is doing a good job.
I was just looking at this... Figured my IAT wasn't 110C.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like i should bump up to Stage 2 or 3 and perhaps reinstall my DCI as i think my car is slow! ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
mrquick68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Through on the DCI and still running Stage 2 5-23 maps. Need to run some datalogging but am impressed to see the car building boost much more quickly with the DCI. I honestly thought i wouldn't be able to tell that much. Much harder acceleration at part throttle and better pull at WOT too. Gonna load stage 3 today and then check IATs again and we how they are doing.
Appreciate 0