E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adaptive lighting problems! Stumped! No adaptive/level/guidance feature

07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Adaptive lighting problems! Stumped! No adaptive/level/guidance feature

Hello, Im completely stumped with this problem and have spent quite a few hours already trying to figure it out, hopefully someone here with some knowledge can lead me in the right direction short of buying two new headlight assemblies =[ Ill try to make this as short as possible..

Yesterday Im driving and all of a sudden i get the adaptive headlight warning on the dash and idrive. Constantly on. The green light also was blinking on the headlight switch (all positions)
I have been researching non stop, about the possible adaptive module etc.

Both are aiming straight, nothing looks to be "internally broke"
The PASS light WAS still auto leveling upon start of the car.. to lead me to believe a problem with the driver side..

Today I:
Took out both headlights Switched the adaptive module on each headlight, disconnected battery..

Put it all back together, the warning light is gone I drove it several miles without it returning yet.. BUT NOW:

NEITHER light:
auto levels
turns with wheel (is adaptive)
nor does neither "guidance" light come on when I turn the wheel.. The lights come on and off as usual and physically work, the light is NOT flashing on the headlight switch anymore but yet I have 0 adaptive/leveling features.

From what I've read alot of people have had problems after pot holes, and i just so happen to hit a pretty nasty pot hole earlier in the day!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep

hellppp! anyone? I got the battery unhooked right now as well for longer. will the negative side only be fine? Im trying to get the computer to cycle the lights again and atleast tell me something is broke, no light features and no light on the dash at the moment
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
rrpeinha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1993 BMW 850i  [0.00]
Since you switched the stepper motors (AHL modules) on each headlight, you'll have to recode each of them. Right now, your Right-Hand Module (old left-hand module) still has values for the left headlight and the Left-Hand Module (old right-hand module) will still have values for the right. If you know how to use the various coding programs, you can do it yourself. Progman will be able to perform the recoding, but I believe you should be able to do it in NCSExpert (personally, I would rather use NCS anyway). In the module list of NCS, LSMC is the module for the left side and RSMC is for the right. If you don't know how/ lack capability to recode the AHL modules yourself, then it will need to be done by the dealer in order to function.
      07-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep

I know nothing about coding, but what about the initial problem? Should I just swap them back to where they were? What im really trying to do is know whether its the headlight itself, or the module without taking it to dealer 5 times and spending a small fortune on it. Also kind of stumped as to why NOTHING works, but yet I have no errors.

How much would coding software/hard ware run me? Id rather have it in my possession vs dumping useless money into a dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
rafiq335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
Why don't you dump useless money into a dealer Bic Boi, need a better job?
      07-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiq335i View Post
Why don't you dump useless money into a dealer Bic Boi, need a better job?
This coming from the 17yr old without job? That relies on parents for the car/mods. You obviously have no concept of money. Im 25 son, own a home and paid for my car myself, CASH all 100$ bills.You should be taking notes..One day youll grow up to a big boy. Probably later than sooner at the rate your parents are raising you
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep

ttt
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
The Wildcard
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had this fault light come up before and it was not the stepper motors. The fix was the 'control unit' for both the left and right headlights were replaced and recoded. Then the footwell module underneath the driver seat was also replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
TheyH8n
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildcard View Post
I had this fault light come up before and it was not the stepper motors. The fix was the 'control unit' for both the left and right headlights were replaced and recoded. Then the footwell module underneath the driver seat was also replaced.
Then it sounds like you got hosed from the dealer. The chance of both of your modules going out is extremely unlikely, the Footwell module was repalced after they realized neither of the headlight modules was at fault
Im looking for more of people that are out of warranty. I have no way of saying for sure if the problem is mechanical problem within the projector assembly or my AHL module
Appreciate 0