E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > The Steering Wheel Thread

07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Das335
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The Steering Wheel Thread

Alright let's face it, our stock steering wheel is a little bit on the mediocre side. An odd assortment of materials coupled with a thin, slippery grip makes for something that I'd assume many here would upgrade away from.

So whether you've got carbon fiber or alcantara, changed just the trim or changed the whole wheel, gone for m-sport or performance series, any upgrade at all that you've done to the steering wheel... let's see it.

Hopefully if we get enough participation, it could almost become a directory of sorts to help those looking to upgrade their steering wheel in the future.

I personally just went with the M3 wheel, which should be coming in the mail very soon. I'll be sure to post RL pictures once it arrives and I get it installed.

For now, the generic picture will have to do.

Alright, let's see those wheels.
      07-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Ok here's mine...

Performance Electronic V1 Steering wheel with alcantara trim cover. SSG paddles have been modified to work like the SMG types (upshift on the left and downshift on the right).
Attached Images

Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Das335
Private
Canada
Rep

Good looking wheel . Looks like it might've cost an arm and a leg though.
      07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

Custom wheel, thicker than M3 padding Napa leather/black stitch/thumb rest/no paddle option from AlexMac@Alpine
Attached Images

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Before

Now
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das335 View Post
Good looking wheel . Looks like it might've cost an arm and a leg though.
Thanks for the comment. Yes and no, I got the wheel inexpensively ($600). But while installing it myself, I threw steering wheel angle codes which took more money to resolve ($125@ dealership). Still less than what a new wheel goes for new.
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Ok here's mine...

Performance Electronic V1 Steering wheel with alcantara trim cover. SSG paddles have been modified to work like the SMG types (upshift on the left and downshift on the right).
How did you do that?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti racing View Post
How did you do that?
It's quite easy. I wrote a DIY with references on the subject already. Check it out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630656

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
Custom wheel, thicker than M3 padding Napa leather/black stitch/thumb rest/no paddle option from AlexMac@Alpine.
Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Das335
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
Now
Definitely like the look of that. I'm assuming you log some serious track time judging by the thick alcantara wheel and the centre stripe.
      07-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
yeti racing
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
It's quite easy. I wrote a DIY with references on the subject already. Check it out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630656
nice one fella
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti racing View Post
nice one fella
thx
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das335 View Post
Definitely like the look of that. I'm assuming you log some serious track time judging by the thick alcantara wheel and the centre stripe.
actually M3 wheel is much thicker imo, this alcantara wheel feels much lighter and better grip.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das335
Alright let's face it, our stock steering wheel is a little bit on the mediocre side. An odd assortment of materials coupled with a thin, slippery grip makes for something that I'd assume many here would upgrade away from.

So whether you've got carbon fiber or alcantara, changed just the trim or changed the whole wheel, gone for m-sport or performance series, any upgrade at all that you've done to the steering wheel... let's see it.

Hopefully if we get enough participation, it could almost become a directory of sorts to help those looking to upgrade their steering wheel in the future.

I personally just went with the M3 wheel, which should be coming in the mail very soon. I'll be sure to post RL pictures once it arrives and I get it installed.

For now, the generic picture will have to do.

Alright, let's see those wheels.
I have the exact same one!
M sport package FTW
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
kreuz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
M sport package FTW
I'm pretty sure that's an M3 wheel + trim lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreuz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
M sport package FTW
I'm pretty sure that's an M3 wheel + trim lol
Ah, so it is- couldn't really see the stitching on mobile...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

M-tech Wheel with updated LCI paddle shifters. R=Up, L=Down.

Last edited by ChasVS; 07-26-2012 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Can someone post thickness of the M-Sport vs M3 vs Standard sport? Measured with digital caliper or cloth measuring tape or something?

Mine is due for retrim but I dunno what thickness to tell to the guy... I'd like to go for Msport or M3 thickness, but wouldn't want to end up with something close to Z4M thickness (chunkiest wheel ever?!).

Once I know and get it done, I'll happily contribute with pics.

Last edited by Tallest; 07-21-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
Can someone post thickness of the M-Sport vs M3 vs Standard sport? Measured with digital caliper or cloth measuring tape or something?

Mine is due for retrim but I dunno what thickness to tell to the guy... I'd like to go for Msport or M3 thickness, but wouldn't want to end up with something close to Z4M thickness (chunkiest wheel ever?!).

Once I know and get it done, I'll happily contribute with pics.
Best thing I could do is to provide stock pics that I have. I had three different steering wheels: Standard sport, M3, and Performance Electronic V1 versions. I think the M3 and M-Sport is similar, someone else can chime in for confirmation.

First pic shows the standard on the left and M3 on the right. There's noticeable difference in thickness between the Standard Sport and M3. To me, I felt no difference between the M3 and Performance steering wheels.

The alcantanra does provide more of a positive grip. Most leather material thickness is 1/16". You really can not spec material thickness (Vinyl may be thinner though). Check with your upholstery shop tech.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Best thing I could do is to provide stock pics that I have. I had three different steering wheels: Standard sport, M3, and Performance Electronic V1 versions. I think the M3 and M-Sport is similar, someone else can chime in for confirmation.

First pic shows the standard on the left and M3 on the right. There's noticeable difference in thickness between the Standard Sport and M3. To me, I felt no difference between the M3 and Performance steering wheels.

The alcantanra does provide more of a positive grip. Most leather material thickness is 1/16". You really can not spec material thickness (Vinyl may be thinner though). Check with your upholstery shop tech.
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate a little on alcantara? How does it feel with hands vs leather? Because I think the usual leather on sport is not grippy and I would really prefer to have something with a bit more grip. However I am afraid it doesn't wear well and is very high maintenance.

I'm considering to retrim sport into something like the performance one you have (sans the electronic gauge on top). In other words it will be part alcantara, and part leather. If shop delivers it well, I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
      07-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
Custom wheel, thicker than M3 padding Napa leather/black stitch/thumb rest/no paddle option from AlexMac@Alpine
Damn, can't believe this one has just gotten by, unnoticed. This steering wheel looks awesome
      07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate a little on alcantara? How does it feel with hands vs leather? Because I think the usual leather on sport is not grippy and I would really prefer to have something with a bit more grip. However I am afraid it doesn't wear well and is very high maintenance.
Alcantanra or suede are the reserve side of leather. What determines either type, it depends on the drying and tanning process. Yes, either types can wear, but if you use a suede brush or block (same brush products from brushing shoes), it will restore the nap of the leather suede or alcantanra. Bottled color suede dye helps maintain the color which you dab into the alcantanra surface.

That's why you'll see this type of material used in racing application because it promotes a higher degree of adhesion. Smooth leather is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye in comparison.

Either smooth or rough leather, each requires some degree of treatment and maintenance for long time wear and color. In smooth leather application, one should use leather cleaners and conditioners to maintain the level of natural oils. Otherwise, cracking and tears appear do to drying of the leather.

Quote:
I'm considering to retrim sport into something like the performance one you have (sans the electronic gauge on top). In other words it will be part alcantara, and part leather. If shop delivers it well, I'll be happy.

Thoughts?
Absolutely you'll be happy. As long the shop is reputable, it should come out clean. Just look for puckers and glue build up. It should look OEM. If not make them do it again. Personally I like a "baseball stitch" which is similar to the M3.
Appreciate 0