E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 N52 Radiator Change

07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Speedracer350
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

E90 N52 Radiator Change

Hello all,

My radiator has a slight leak and I have new one coming in Friday. I have changed radiators on other cars that were simple as pulling them out the top. Having worked on this car in the past, I know most things are not simple (damn starter took me 5 hours!). Any tips and things I should know would be appreciated!

Joseph
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer350 View Post
Hello all,

My radiator has a slight leak and I have new one coming in Friday. I have changed radiators on other cars that were simple as pulling them out the top. Having worked on this car in the past, I know most things are not simple (damn starter took me 5 hours!). Any tips and things I should know would be appreciated!

Joseph
It shouldn't be hard. Here's the DIY to remove the fan. Once the fan is removed the radiator is just two hoses and the top mounting bolts and it pulls out.

Remove the radiator cooling fan:

The fan comes out as a whole unit. It is secured with one regular torx screw and a thumb clip on the left side. It sits on plastic mounts on the bottom of the radiator.

To remove it:
• Remove the silver-colored torx screw on the upper right side corner of the fan unit.
• Remove the temperature sensor electrical connector on the lower radiator hose. Push the wire clip in and pull the connector straight back.
• Remove the electrical connector for the fan motor it; it is on the left-side of the unit next to the fan motor.
• Move the small tube that is part of the coolant over-flow hose; it snaps in mounts on the radiator.
• Move the electrical harness out of the way. It mounted along the water tube.
• Look for the thumb tab on the left side of the unit (about half-way) down. Push it in and pull up on the whole fan unit.
• Move the unit back and to the left to clear the lower radiator hose, and then pull the whole unit up and out.
Appreciate 0