E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > OEM headlight ballasts and bulbs for fogs?

07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
OEM headlight ballasts and bulbs for fogs?

Well, so I pulled the trigger and bought Guerillah's (thanks man!) lci ahl's to replace my pre-lci ahl's. My original plan was to sell the ballast/bulbs/etc. from my pre-lci headlights but I got to thinking.... has anyone used these parts to convert their fogs to hids? I did some searching and couldn't find anything related. Off hand I can think of a few things that could be a problem:

1) Where to mount the ballasts
2) Waterproofing everything
3) Would the bulb even fit? Honestly don't know.

What are your guy's thoughts?

I'm not really set on trying this, but figured since I have to pull the bumper off anyway to replace the headlights I might as well do something with the fogs.
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |

Last edited by RequestTheOverhead; 07-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: can't spell worth a crap
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep

Garage List
Haha, nothing huh! So... I'm going to take this as a no, not possible. Oh well, looks like I'll be looking for some HID fog kits!
| Cold, "Sport", and Luxury packages | Tinted | OEM Black Lines | JB4 | DCI | ER FMIC | Forge DV's | Custom exhaust with secondary cat delete, Magnaflow mufflers, black Dimisa Tips | Staggered 18" V718's, Matte Black | Flappy Paddles | Titanium CF Trim Wrap | BMW Performance Shifter and E-Brake Handle |
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

easier to just get a HID fog kit. ballasts wont be weather sealed when not used with the headlight housing, and the bulbs are completely different. not to mention the connectors for the fogs are also completely different.

congrats on the LCIs btw! i was eye those hard, but just couldnt get myself to drop the cash.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
easier to just get a HID fog kit. ballasts wont be weather sealed when not used with the headlight housing, and the bulbs are completely different. not to mention the connectors for the fogs are also completely different.

congrats on the LCIs btw! i was eye those hard, but just couldnt get myself to drop the cash.
Thanks for the info man. I had a feeling it just wouldn't be possible. But it never hurts to ask those more experienced than myself. Now time to research quality hid fogs. As for the headlights, I'm pretty excited. It was one of those F'-it moments.... said the same thing before i married my ex. Looks like I still haven't learn my lesson. Thanks bro!

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

it could be done, but it would be quite a bit of work! you could, I suppose, "pot" the ballast (waterproof it), build a projector fog housing with the morimoto matchbox projectors, convert the D2S socket to a D1S socket on the projectors, build a wiring harness, and weather seal the whole thing...but that's a lot of effort.

here's what I would do--retrofit the morimoto matchbox projectors from "the retrofit source", and get a morimoto D2S HID kit and the appropriate wiring harness to make it work! you can email the retrofit source and they can help you build a custom kit that will do everything you need.

or you can drop in a morimoto hid kit in to your reflector fog housings, code, and call it a day.

or, you can drop a HighPerformanceBulbs kit in to your fogs, not code, and call it a day!
Appreciate 0