F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i x drive m sport or 320d m sport with winter wheels
Extreme Powerhouse

07-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

320i x drive m sport or 320d m sport with winter wheels

Hi folks,

Any views on the question above? Can get the diesel on 3.9% apr deal versus 5.9 for the x drive. I'm coming from a f25 x3 and reason for changing is I miss having a car i can throw around the Aberdeenshire roads.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

This is something I've considered. I use winter wheels and tyres on my E91 and feel it could be a waste, carrying around the extra mechanical bits of the xDrive, with the fuel penalty, for a few months. Really an overkill unless in hilly conditions all winter, where the extra traction of the xDrive could be an advantage. For me, over in Lochaber, I still think the xDrive is not necessary. But definitely winter tyres for braking and control in the sort of variable conditions we get.

Depending on what wheels/tyres you get with the xDrive, I feel you would still need a winter wheel set to get the best winter performance anyway.

I'm not a fan of All Season tyres on a car, as they are a "jack of all trades, master of none", compared to dedicated summer and winter tyres.

Winter (cold weather) tyres give driving stability, car control and braking at better levels than an All Season tyre, on a RWD or AWD, so it only the traction which is really enhanced with adding xDrive.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks Pete! Decided on the diesel rwd and a set of winter wheels. Economics are far better from an apr perspective and a fuel economy perspective!
Appreciate 0