F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mobile Application Preparation (6NR)... retrofit
GetBMWParts

07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Mobile Application Preparation (6NR)... retrofit

Not having done my research properly, I didn't order the Mobile Application Preparation option (6NR) as I thought it was mainly for Facebook, Twitter and Web Radio. Well seems it's a bit more than that, including enabling the iPhone 'BMW Connected' app.

Anyway, reading through BMW's description of the BMW Connected app in the iTunes store, it has this to say...

Please note: the BMW Connected app can only be used in BMW models with the "Apps" special equipment. A retrofit has been on offer for this special equipment since 01/2012 (NOTE: retrofit is not available in USA or Canada). Contact your BMW dealer for details.

As I do have the Professional Multimedia/Nav system (ZMP) I'm taking the above to suggest that a retrofit for option 6NR might be a possibility at some point in the future on the F30.... or am I just being wildly optimistic?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

This is exactly what I am looking to find out! I'll I care about is getting the Connected Drive option to show up.

This is what I got back from my dealer:

The end goal here is to see your email & text messages on the I-drive screen via your IPhone 4s correct? As far as I know you will not require apps to do this with the new IOS 6 software, as blackberry is doing it currently with just the extended Bluetooth signal. The option you may require and we will not know until BMW tests the IOS 6 software is “smart phone integration”. The catch here is that in Canada this option is all included in that $300 factory Apple apps option or in the standalone $850 BMW assist option. This would be that software upgrade that we currently do not have access to at the dealer level.

/edit, I just realized you are in the UK. Have you looked into this?
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/index.php...ive-retrofits/
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I like the idea of iOS 6 being able to let your car know about new text messages. With the car's ability to read messages aloud that seems like a neat feature.

Thanks for that link, interesting that an independent is already offering this for the F30, although the price is a bit scary (especially if you need this code as well).

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I like the idea of iOS 6 being able to let your car know about new text messages. With the car's ability to read messages aloud that seems like a neat feature.

Thanks for that link, interesting that an independent is already offering this for the F30, although the price is a bit scary (especially if you need this code as well).
I have loaded IOS 6 into my iPhone 4S ( will not work with a iPhone 4) and it does work. In the 'Office" section on my iDrive emails & messages show up. Also under telephone section Messages is there also.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I have loaded IOS 6 into my iPhone 4S ( will not work with a iPhone 4) and it does work. In the 'Office" section on my iDrive emails & messages show up. Also under telephone section Messages is there also.
Do you have 6NR or is iOS doing this natively?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseahammer View Post
Ios is doing it natively.

Its work via bluetooth but you need to go to this BMW web address and get the latest Bluetooth upgrade, put your last 7 digits of your vin in.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...ndingpage.html

Use a USB stick (must be FAT32 format) place the bin file on it. Place it in the USB connection in the centre consol, don't use the one in the glove box.

In iDrive you will see Update Firmware, push ok when when ready and it will update. You can check you revision first but this load 3.05 if my memory is correct

Here is a thread on it.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708682

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseahammer View Post
Ios is doing it natively.

Its work via bluetooth but you need to go to this BMW web address and get the latest Bluetooth upgrade, put your last 7 digits of your vin in.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...ndingpage.html

Use a USB stick (must be FAT32 format) place the bin file on it. Place it in the USB connection in the centre consol, don't use the one in the glove box.

In iDrive you will see Update Firmware, push ok when when ready and it will update. You can check you revision first but this load 3.05 if my memory is correct

Here is a thread on it.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708682
Thanks. I've still got my E90 320d but will be changing in the next few months. Options are F30, F10, E90 335d or Alpina D3. All different cars but they've all got pros and cons (including price!). Nice to know the F30 can do this with ios6 natively. I'm a complete Techy type so another plus for the F30 :-)
2008 - 2012 E90 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob
Quote:

Another question - do you have enhanced Bluetooth or just standard?
2008 - 2012 E90 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
By the way, I did get a price for doing the 6NR retrofit on my F30. It's a June build with the BMW Professional Multimedia (ZMP) package (which includes 609, 612, 616, 6NL and 6WA).

Unfortunately I can't justify the price (around £465 from an independant) for the few extra features this will give me

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
dan yeates
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Saloon

Hi,

I'm based in the UK and my dad has just picked up an F30 320d Sport. It has the following options...

S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S216A HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC
S230A Extra package, EU-specific
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S255A Sports leather steering wheel
S258A Tire with run-flat functionality
S2A5A BMW LA wheel, Double Spoke 397
S2PAA Lug bolt retainer
S2TBA Sport automatic transmission
S2VFA Adaptive M suspension
S302A Alarm system
S3DZA Delete extra external lettering
S420A Sun protection glazing
S423A Floor mats, velours
S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
Code Description (EPC)
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S465A Through-loading system
S481A Sports seat
S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S493A Storage compartment package
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ATA Interior trim finishers black high-gloss
S4DNA Accent strips, korall-rot, matt
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S520A Fog lights
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
Code Description (EPC)
S544A Cruise control with brake function
S563A Light package
S575A Supplementary 12V sockets
S5ACA High-beam assistant
S5DAA Passenger airbag deactivation
S5DCA Rear-seat headrests, folding
S609A Navigation system Professional
S612A BMW Assist
S615A Expanded BMW Online Information
S616A BMW Online
S654A DAB tuner
S698A Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TeleServices
S6ABA Control for Teleservices
S6NLA Connection Bluetooth + USB devices incl.
Code Description (EPC)
S6VAA CIC-Zusteuerung
S6WAA Instrument cluster, expanded equipment
S6WAA Instrument cluster, expanded equipment
P7ACA Sport Line
L812A National version England / Ireland
S850A Additional Export tank filling
S880A On-board vehicle literature English
S8KAA Dummy-SALAPA
S8S2A Coding alarm signal
S8S3A Automatic locking when driving off
S8SCA Telematics access request,country-spec.

So it has Professional Multimedia, extended bluetooth and BMW Assist. But I don't think it has the 6NR ConnectedDrive (is this the App Preparation).

What does this do exactly? I have seen the ConnectedDrive app, but what else can it do? Is it worth getting? It seems to be £433 from Bimmertech once converted from € to £ so quite a lot of money! Is it worth it?

Also, how does it come from Bimmertech? Is it a box we need to fit in the car somewhere? How also do they code the car, is it done remotely?

Also, perhaps you could help with another point, is it complicated/expensive to retrofit the BMW rear view camera?

Would be grateful of any help.

Thanks,

Dan

PS. The 320d Sport with M-Sport adaptive suspension and Professional media really is a fantastic car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
dan yeates
Rep

Also, as this is semi related, how does the data work with the car?

The dealer told us that the car has a T-Mobile SIM card and that it uses this to communicate. However, when trying to perform a bluetooth system update via teleservices it wouldn’t work unless there was a phone attached. (and that wouldn’t work as there wasn’t 3G signal!)

So, is the BMW using the phone’s data connection the entire time? The thing is, my dad has an o2 phone and 3G signal is useless around here, whereas T-Mobile 3G signal is great. Just be interested to hear how it all works.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
dan yeates
Rep

Finally, what parts are required for this retrofit? Could I order the parts and fit it myself? Looking at the BMW PDF it looks like it's just a 3 core cable to fit and then a code to activate it. Is there more to it than that?
      01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan yeates View Post
Also, as this is semi related, how does the data work with the car?

The dealer told us that the car has a T-Mobile SIM card and that it uses this to communicate. However, when trying to perform a bluetooth system update via teleservices it wouldn’t work unless there was a phone attached. (and that wouldn’t work as there wasn’t 3G signal!)

So, is the BMW using the phone’s data connection the entire time? The thing is, my dad has an o2 phone and 3G signal is useless around here, whereas T-Mobile 3G signal is great. Just be interested to hear how it all works.
I believe when using the apps such as connected drive or my favourite the web radio it uses your phone for data as its all driven by the phone itself. You can use the same apps any time on the phone without the car.

When browsing the Internet in the car it seems to use its own 3G SIM card as I can do that without a phone connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Not having done my research properly, I didn't order the Mobile Application Preparation option (6NR) as I thought it was mainly for Facebook, Twitter and Web Radio. Well seems it's a bit more than that, including enabling the iPhone 'BMW Connected' app.

Anyway, reading through BMW's description of the BMW Connected app in the iTunes store, it has this to say...

Please note: the BMW Connected app can only be used in BMW models with the "Apps" special equipment. A retrofit has been on offer for this special equipment since 01/2012 (NOTE: retrofit is not available in USA or Canada). Contact your BMW dealer for details.

As I do have the Professional Multimedia/Nav system (ZMP) I'm taking the above to suggest that a retrofit for option 6NR might be a possibility at some point in the future on the F30.... or am I just being wildly optimistic?
Don't do it Rob, the BMW apps is a waste of money. Mine doesn't sync 5 times out of 6, and even when it does, can drop out when making telephone calls. Avoid!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

I've not had any problems with mine but I don't put it in the cradle that often. I thought the apps and connected drive only works with the phone in the cradle? Or do you use the USB connector?

Last edited by RichardM; 01-07-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Don't do it Rob, the BMW apps is a waste of money. Mine doesn't sync 5 times out of 6, and even when it does, can drop out when making telephone calls. Avoid!!!!
Hi Nisfan,

Mine works fine, I run the special Media/Apps Cradle (the one with fan in it), I am using a iPhone 4s with the latest IOS 6, and it connects via the USB via the cradle. I have added the 4s to my main mobile phone account so I can get data as so to connect to the Internet for all the Apps to work and also my video works as well as I have installed the 3 wire cable from the cradle to the CIC.

I then use my iPhone 5 to sync via Bluetooth for mobile phone calls, SMS, emails & phone book.

It all works well, I just leave the 4s in the cradle all the time and when I get in the X5 the iPhone 5 connects automatically via Bluetooth, no drama's at all.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
You can use the USB cable for connected drive, just don't lock the phone
I'm yet to see what use the connected drive actually is...
      01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Richard, that is strange. I use the apple USB cable, which I assume is fine, as it tells you to plug in USB cable and shows pic of same. I almost have to reboot phone (both my work iPhone 4 running iOS 6.0.1 or my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.2). Got it booked into dealer to find out what is up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Hi Nisfan,

Mine works fine, I run the special Media/Apps Cradle (the one with fan in it), I am using a iPhone 4s with the latest IOS 6, and it connects via the USB via the cradle. I have added the 4s to my main mobile phone account so I can get data as so to connect to the Internet for all the Apps to work and also my video works as well as I have installed the 3 wire cable from the cradle to the CIC.

I then use my iPhone 5 to sync via Bluetooth for mobile phone calls, SMS, emails & phone book.

It all works well, I just leave the 4s in the cradle all the time and when I get in the X5 the iPhone 5 connects automatically via Bluetooth, no drama's at all.
Good to hear it does work then. Could you do me a favour and try connecting your iPhone 5 via white apple lightning? Obviously without the 4s in the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

I've not tried the apple cable as I purchased the overpriced cradle. I keep a tiny 32gb stick in the USB socket which I use for music and video more than the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
You can use the USB cable for connected drive, just don't lock the phone
I'm yet to see what use the connected drive actually is...
I love that screen which tells you how much fuel you have and range when not in the car

I also like the Eco pro thing which logs your mpg by trip. Shame you have to be in eco pro mode for it to work. There is also a bug in the app as it says miles for the trip but logs km. pffffft!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I've not tried the apple cable as I purchased the overpriced cradle. I keep a tiny 32gb stick in the USB socket which I use for music and video more than the iPhone.
Would you also do me a favour and try using the lightning cable? See if it works every time.
At times the connected drive icon is missing from the line up, so I'm thinking I may have other issues.
Appreciate 0