F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Garmin mounting in the F30?
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
xugator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garmin mounting in the F30?

Does anyone use a Garmin in their F30? Just looking for some good ideas on places people have mounted this. I am not really a fan of the windshield mount and was thinking about the AC vent mount but the vents in the F30 seem a little flimsy. What are other people doing ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
whoever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 528 xi

Get the Garmin friction mount. It's very neat and stylish and super stable. The official one is here, but another one seems exactly the same with some extras.

A stable and sturdy vent mount will be a real hassle to put on and off.

If you don't mind some visual defect in your car, get those ezpass mounting strip and stick your GPS anywhere. You can get those free in north east where ezpass is available.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
rmm0031
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335  [0.00]
If you place it in the center of the dash, will there be enough clearance above the iDrive screen? Seems like the screen would block most of it.

I had a TomTom vent mount in my E34 that worked great. Unfortunately I left it in a rental and got a no-name replacement that totally jacked up my vent.

I have a friction mount that I use now (not the ones shown in the link). After sitting in the car for a long trip the silicone bottom will show a discoloration in the dash. It will buff out with some cleaning but is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
whoever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 528 xi

I felt GPS on a mount above the center console would interfere with my view, so I leave it in the left front corner. The one shown can adjust to almost any position and angle, fits perfectly anywhere you can think of. To avoid silicone stain, just rub the base on your cloth and make it less sticky.

If you have the newer iPhone like Nuvi, you can use the ezpass strip to stick it vertically to the left edge of your center screen. Seems like a match made in heaven.
Appreciate 0