E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > my car is acting crazy

07-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

my car is acting crazy

Ok, I've got 6mt, PROcede.

I was cruising in fourth gear and decided to hit the gas about half way. The car started to pull for a split second, but when the boost was supposed to kick in the car started stuttering and shaking and making a weird sound like frfffrrrrrrr. I let go of the gas and hit it again and it pulled just fine. This has happened to me twice over the last week, both times in fourth gear going about 45mph. I'm not throwing any codes and have had the PROcede in for about a month.

Another thing I've noticed is that under normal driving conditions when I give the car a little gas just for fun the turbos spool pretty quick, but at wot I'm not getting boost until about 4500rpm's.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
You have a boost leak by the sounds of it. Did you or anyone else ever mess around with your IC piping for any reason? Either that or it could be a faulty fuel pump. Just about any other cause would induce a code of some sort.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You have a boost leak by the sounds of it. Did you or anyone else ever mess around with your IC piping for any reason? Either that or it could be a faulty fuel pump. Just about any other cause would induce a code of some sort.

shiv
+1. Sounds like a leak too. I had a fuel pump problem before already and your issue doesn't immediately sound like a fuel pump problem, so I wouldn't worry about that. Check your hoses and make sure you don't have any leaks. Best of all, better to bring it to your dealer and have them check it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

shiv
Nobody ever messed with the IC. It happened to me again today, this time in third gear while I was trying to pass somebody. I gave it a moderate amount of gas and the car made the crazy sound again and didnt move. The sound defanately sounds like the turbos are messing up in some way. Still not throwing any codes.

Shiv, do you think that if the two hoses that I connected to each other from the boost solenoid could be leaking if they aren't connected tight enough? Would that even be a concern with the problem that I'm having?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC LV View Post
Nobody ever messed with the IC. It happened to me again today, this time in third gear while I was trying to pass somebody. I gave it a moderate amount of gas and the car made the crazy sound again and didnt move. The sound defanately sounds like the turbos are messing up in some way. Still not throwing any codes.

Shiv, do you think that if the two hoses that I connected to each other from the boost solenoid could be leaking if they aren't connected tight enough? Would that even be a concern with the problem that I'm having?

Thanks.
Connect the long hose directly to the T connector to verify. This will be the most easy way to find out. BTW, this method is from Terry335 and I like it .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Connect the long hose directly to the T connector to verify. This will be the most easy way to find out. BTW, this method is from Terry335 and I like it .

Ok I see what youre saying. So if that was leaking and I connect it straight to the t fitting the problem should go away? Do you think a leak there would cause the problem I'm having?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC LV View Post
Ok I see what youre saying. So if that was leaking and I connect it straight to the t fitting the problem should go away? Do you think a leak there would cause the problem I'm having?
You have an unusual proplem, I think it's worth a try. Load the v1.47LBT map as well and reset the ECU ( Comms - reset ECU ) after that. BTW, do you have other mod's ?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you should disconnect the PROcede, install the supplied bypass plugs, put the vacuum hoses back to stock and see if the problem is still there.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
I think you should remove the PROcede, install the supplied bypass plugs, put the vacuum hoses back to stock and see if the problem is still there.
and if the problem persists, take it to the dealership. good luck.

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

shiv

Shiv I think you are right about the boost leak. I took the car out and tried to replicate the problem but was only able to replicate it once. What I did notice is that even when it's not shuttering it's not pulling smoothly. It kind of hiccups a little here and there when i give it a good amount of gas. This happens from low rpms about 2000rpm in third or fourth gear and once it's under boost i can feel the car slightly shutter at intermitent interval all the way up to redline.

Do you think the solenoid hoses have something to do with the leak? Thanks
Appreciate 0