F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why I regret not getting premium package
ARMA SPEED

06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Why I regret not getting premium package

I cannot keep the middle tray over the cupholders. If I do, then I need to keep my keys and garage door remote underneath an then keep removing the tray. Otherwise the keyfob and garage remote are sliding all over the car. Has anyone else been annoyed by this? I'm also annoyed by the fact that there is not a holder for the key fob. They should have had comfort access as standard then. I guess I just have to get used to putting the fob back in my pocket after unlocking. It's difficult though wearing scrubs, because you are always sitting on the fob in your back pocket. bottom line they should have a keyfob slot in the car.

Then there is the issue with the garage remote. I really miss being able to not reach and hunt for my mini remote.

Looks like premium package next time for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
I cannot keep the middle tray over the cupholders. If I do, then I need to keep my keys and garage door remote underneath an then keep removing the tray. Otherwise the keyfob and garage remote are sliding all over the car. Has anyone else been annoyed by this? I'm also annoyed by the fact that there is not a holder for the key fob. They should have had comfort access as standard then. I guess I just have to get used to putting the fob back in my pocket after unlocking. It's difficult though wearing scrubs, because you are always sitting on the fob in your back pocket. bottom line they should have a keyfob slot in the car.

Then there is the issue with the garage remote. I really miss being able to not reach and hunt for my mini remote.

I have comfort access. So I keep my fob in my pocket.

I can only suggest one solution my friend: Trade it in for a '13 M Sport with comfort access. Problem solved.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

319 Universal garage-door opener is standard equipment for MY13. Doesn't help with the CA, but it's one less thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Get a universal garage door opener and clip it to the passenger visor.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Yeah, the garage door opener is an easy fix, just clip it to your sunvisor. If you've lost the clip, buy a new clip or buy a new remote.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post

are you having vibrating steering issue?...i think you know where i am going with this
      06-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

I thought scrubs were for wearing in surgery. Not for wearing outside of the hospital.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I'm not sure why you are even taking the fob out of your pocket. Mine works just fine through my pants. Comfort access is pretty much irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
mith
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

on the f30 we don't have an option here for the garage door opener.
@E90fleet any particular reason for that?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy
I'm not sure why you are even taking the fob out of your pocket. Mine works just fine through my pants. Comfort access is pretty much irrelevant.
scrubs, chronic fob in ass syndrome.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
This is more true than it used to be.

When CA first came out it had 2 main functions.
One is that you don't need to use the fob to unlock and open the doors.
The other part is that you don't need to use your fob to start the car, you can just leave the fob in your pocket or purse.

Now, starting the engine with the fob in your pocket is standard.
So the only thing you gain by having the full CA options is that you can unlock the doors with the fob in your pocket.
Full function CA used to be a $500 option. Now, half of it's function is standard, so one is only buying the other function, which is to unlock the doors.

I have a question.
This is clear to those of you who already own an F30, but I haven't looked closely at the area where the fob would normally go to start the engine.
For example, in my 135i without CA, I insert my fob into a slot, it clicks in.
Then I push the start button.
The F30 doesn't have a fob slot anymore?
I think the answer is that it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I have a question.
This is clear to those of you who already own an F30, but I haven't looked closely at the area where the fob would normally go to start the engine.
Correct, no slot for the fob in F30.
Fob is also quite a bit larger than E90 as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Correct, no slot for the fob in F30.
Fob is also quite a bit larger than E90 as well.
I recently had a 2012 F10 loaner with CA and the fob is huge. It's cool that there's a compartment for it ahead of the shift knob but IMO that's a bit of overkill.

By the way this was a 535 xdrive and the engine was as smooth as can be but not particularly quick in such a heavy car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

You must be in "OR scrubs"

I wear scrubs too. it's a hobby of mine, but not OR style (or as I call them "useless").

I assume you don't have a chest pocket?

Anywho, I have on more than one occasion while in OR scrubs used the drawstring to attach things to myself...watches, etc. Of course it will then look like you are fondling yourself when you unlock....but hey, who doesn't these days?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
This is more true than it used to be.

When CA first came out it had 2 main functions.
One is that you don't need to use the fob to unlock and open the doors.
The other part is that you don't need to use your fob to start the car, you can just leave the fob in your pocket or purse.

Now, starting the engine with the fob in your pocket is standard.
So the only thing you gain by having the full CA options is that you can unlock the doors with the fob in your pocket.
Full function CA used to be a $500 option. Now, half of it's function is standard, so one is only buying the other function, which is to unlock the doors.

I have a question.
With CA you also get the 'kick-open' for the trunk which I find very useful!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Now, starting the engine with the fob in your pocket is standard. So the only thing you gain by having the full CA options is that you can unlock the doors with the fob in your pocket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
With CA you also get the 'kick-open' for the trunk which I find very useful!
And you'e completely forgetting the ability to lock the car without using the fob, which also includes rolling up the windows and closing the sunroof. You can't do the last two things even with the fob (unless you have you car coded). I sometimes get out of the car and realize that I've forgotten to close the sunroof. With CA I just touch the ridges for a second or two longer and the sunroof closes.

My wife loves CA. She leaves her fob in her purse and she never needs to take it out.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
And you'e completely forgetting the ability to lock the car without using the fob, which also includes rolling up the windows and closing the sunroof. You can't do the last two things even with the fob (unless you have you car coded). I sometimes get out of the car and realize that I've forgotten to close the sunroof. With CA I just touch the ridges for a second or two longer and the sunroof closes.

My wife loves CA. She leaves her fob in her purse and she never needs to take it out.
Ah, that's a nice touch.
My Audi had the windows up/close roof feature on the fob.
My last 2 BMW's didn't.

When the windows start to close, can you remove your finger and they continue to close?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, that's a nice touch.
My Audi had the windows up/close roof feature on the fob.
My last 2 BMW's didn't.

When the windows start to close, can you remove your finger and they continue to close?
No, you have to press the handle until they are done closing, at least that's the case if the windows are down. If the sunroof is just tilted, I seem to remember that it will continue to close if you take you finger off the handle. Since I had my car coded it works that way with either the fob or with CA.

But either way I'm not able to "remove my finger"!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
be12nard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
No, you have to press the handle until they are done closing, at least that's the case if the windows are down. If the sunroof is just tilted, I seem to remember that it will continue to close if you take you finger off the handle. Since I had my car coded it works that way with either the fob or with CA.

But either way I'm not able to "remove my finger"!
You mentioned the feature of using the FOB to close the sunroof and windows require the dealership to code them. How much does the programming cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by be12nard View Post
You mentioned the feature of using the FOB to close the sunroof and windows require the dealership to code them. How much does the programming cost?
You can code it your self:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Not too many things available yet, but hope to get more F30 participation as we go along. My car is not back in states yet so I am still waiting. I am collecting the HW and SW so should be able to get started when the car arrives.

I plan on doing:
- Disabling Nav/PDC disclaimers
- Display tire pressure in iDrive
- Fold mirrors when holding CA lock ridges
- Enabling window/sunroof close with FOB
- Disabling DVD speedlock
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by be12nard View Post
Dealerships don't code BMWs and I didn't say anything like that!

I would have done it myself (I have the cable) but I'm running Win7 Home Edition and when I was last following the coding threads you needed WinXP. A local college student who's also a fellow BMW CCA club member coded everything for $50 and that was well worth not spending my time on it and I helped support his education (or his party fund).

I just saw something last week where you can just set the properties of the .exe files to run with XP compatibility, so I may play around with it more.

Note that I have a 2011 335is Coupe, not an F30, and the options available, and the program, and cable required are completely different between the two models, although many options are similar.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Does anyone regret not having the adjustable lumbar support? I'm considering bypassing the Premium Package on a 328i Sport but concerned there might not be enough back support.
Appreciate 0