E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWM: WW Tank to Trunk Mount Compatibility

05-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

PWM: WW Tank to Trunk Mount Compatibility

I am still currently storing my methanol up front in the WW tank. I would like to get this squared away and relocate the pump and reservoir. I have contacted a great vendor on here, but even he was unsure of what would be compatible. I quite frankly am unsure how any tank would necessarily be incompatible, but if this is the case, could others please chime in and let me know what are some of the favored methanol reservoirs and why you went with which. I understand i want the tank above the pump first off.

This is my first time having methanol in a vehicle so the PWM install was my first. I will have to run lines to the trunk, which is another question. Where along the car do people commonly run the line to the trunk. Yes, I'm basically asking the path in which i should route the line and what to secure them with.

Relocating the pump to the trunk means also running the wires from the meth harness all the way back to the trunk now as well. Did others just get connectors of a sort and run them on back? Do you run the wires with the methanol line in one neat bundle?

Thanks guys, while I've had the PWM kit for several months, i am still new to methanol, the equipment, and set ups outside the realm of the standard PWM set up.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you need some ideas how to run it, it doesnt get better DIY then this my friend. I have used it like the bible!

FBIS thread on methanol injection
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297336
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If you need some ideas how to run it, it doesnt get better DIY then this my friend. I have used it like the bible!

FBIS thread on methanol injection
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297336
Wait a minute, that DIY looks familiar!?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

For the PWM kit, I'm speculating that all you have to do to move the pump to the trunk is cut the red and black power/ground lines in the engine bay going to the pump and splice in two extension cables over to the trunk.

Leave the Fast Acting Valve where it is in the engine bay and just run the meth feed line from the pump in the trunk directly into the inlet port on the FAV.

Mount your new meth tank in the trunk and run the tank meth line to the inlet side of the pump. If you get an in-tank filter then you could even elliminate the inline filter and just run one solid straight feed line to the FAV thus eliminating another variable in the system.

Seems to me that all the other parts of the wiring harness will simply stay where they are in the engne bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
werke-t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

guys doesn't it make more sense to keep the pump under the hood? its not gravity fed, so technically does not need to be in the trunk.

Everyone just says its better because its cooler temps in the trunk, but the pump has been working just fine under the hood, its the tank everyone's having issues with.

I want to see some members do just a tank relocate, I personally do not want to splice and run harness wires from trunk to the ecu.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by werke-t View Post
guys doesn't it make more sense to keep the pump under the hood? its not gravity fed, so technically does not need to be in the trunk.

Everyone just says its better because its cooler temps in the trunk, but the pump has been working just fine under the hood, its the tank everyone's having issues with.

I want to see some members do just a tank relocate, I personally do not want to splice and run harness wires from trunk to the ecu.
that's what I'm going to do this week. maybe if i got enough free time. i talked to the owner of devils own and he said i should be OK leaving the pump in front. but just in case, I'm leaving an option to move my pump to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
that's what I'm going to do this week. maybe if i got enough free time. i talked to the owner of devils own and he said i should be OK leaving the pump in front. but just in case, I'm leaving an option to move my pump to the trunk.
That may work fine, but the meth kit companies state that these pumps are not great at sucking (kind of sounds like some of my past girlfriends ).

If you get air in a line that long.....it may be difficult for the pump to draw fluid and you won't have the benefit of a ww pump to help you purge the air.

Simpler to just have the tank gravity feed the pump. Once the meth hits the pump pressure ramps up greatly and will be easily pushed along to the engine bay.

If you are going to all the trouble to relocate the tank in the trunk, then why be lazy and not relocate the pump too?

It's just another two wires to connect to the pump and you can run them along the same route as your meth line.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
335okc
Captain
Rep

yeah i read the disclaimer about not great at sucking lol that's why i kept my option open. moving the pump isn't that hard, but there is another concern having the pump so far away from the power tap. the pwm system also have the pump, solenoid, and flow sensor all bundled in a neat package so i just hate to take it apart unless i start having problem with flow.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
yeah i read the disclaimer about not great at sucking lol that's why i kept my option open. moving the pump isn't that hard, but there is another concern having the pump so far away from the power tap. the pwm system also have the pump, solenoid, and flow sensor all bundled in a neat package so i just hate to take it apart unless i start having problem with flow.
I just swapped out a new pump in my Vishnu PWM kit.

Much easier than I thought.

You just cut the red and black power/ground lines running to the pump itself - tap them and extend the lines to the trunk and connect them to the pump there. Circuit is still the same....you have just run longer wires.

Undo the three bolts holding the pump to the metal bracket and away you go.

Don't need to mess with anything else.

You can leave the Fast Acting Valve attached to the metal bracket that came with the kit along with all the existing relays and wiring harness connections.

Boost trip switch remains connected to the diverter valves in the engine bay.

In fact the FAV will act as a solenoid and prevent fluid from being drawn backwards towards the tank. You just run a single long meth line from the pump in the trunk to the inlet side of the FAV.

Have I missed anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

Might be a noob question. But doesn't the distance from the pump to the check valve have something to do with how well the system works? Relocating the pump and leaving the check valve leaves everything unchanged? I remember my old cooling ,it's kit in my evo x specifically wanted the pump check valve and flow sensor all close to each other?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
Might be a noob question. But doesn't the distance from the pump to the check valve have something to do with how well the system works? Relocating the pump and leaving the check valve leaves everything unchanged? I remember my old cooling ,it's kit in my evo x specifically wanted the pump check valve and flow sensor all close to each other?
Good question.....don't know what the optimum location for a check valve is.

I know that having the pump higher than your tank is also not considered optimal, but it seems to work OK in a WW setup because you can power purge any air in the line with the washer pump.
If you have one single meth line from the trunk pump to the valve in the engine bay, then the only source of air entering the lines would be from the injector nozzles themselves, since they are open to atmosphere. Gravity will siphon meth out of them and let air into the lines.

So in my mind, the closer that check valve is to the source of air, the better since it should prevent fluid from dripping out and being replaced with air.

I would rather purge a couple of inches of air in my line near the nozzles than purging air all the way back to a check valve in the trunk.

But I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Has anyone thought to just take out the WW tank and dedicate it to meth by modifying it?
      06-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeyer87 View Post
Has anyone thought to just take out the WW tank and dedicate it to meth by modifying it?
Yes = can be done.

But at the sacrifice of your wiper system.

OK for those folks who live in warm climates.....but for those with snow it is not an option.

Road smear and salt residue will completely obscure your vision, so having a working wiper/washer system is just another safety area that you would give up for the sake of a meth tank in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
plague
Captain
Rep

my mind is a clusterfuck right now. sheesh i dont know what to do, what i should relocate bla bla

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
335okc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeyer87 View Post
i thought about it because i really like the location. but there are just too many potential failure and leaks. at least in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
JUICINBIMMER
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
my mind is a clusterfuck right now. sheesh i dont know what to do, what i should relocate bla bla
Take it too Alyssa's body shop, im sure she'll help you out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICINBIMMER View Post
Take it too Alyssa's body shop, im sure she'll help you out.
LOFL haha

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #18
seetully
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ///M3 ZCP

I just moved my pump to my trunk and installed a tank back there..was very simple.. A friend of mine came up with a very simple way to route all the wires etc..so he did it for me last night and it really didnt take to long..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

has anyone actually tested the tank in the trunk without moving the pump?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I just completed the install last night.

Get Snow Performance 2.5gal tank from eBay that comes with its own line and tank was already pre-tapped. The tank fits perfectly over the amplifier cover. I just put a big glob of silicone between the tank and cover and it holds up nicely. No ugly straps or bolts.

I completely removed the Vishnu bracket and attached the solenoid, relay and all the wiring to the DS strut tower
Ran the power and meth line through the interior. Jacking up the car was not an option at the time. The pump sits sideways under the trunk liner strapped in one of those half-dome openings with an aluminum strap that came with the tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

just be REALLY careful over the amp... check for leaks often. you don't want to have to replace the amp
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
I just completed the install last night.

Get Snow Performance 2.5gal tank from eBay that comes with its own line and tank was already pre-tapped. The tank fits perfectly over the amplifier cover. I just put a big glob of silicone between the tank and cover and it holds up nicely. No ugly straps or bolts.

I completely removed the Vishnu bracket and attached the solenoid, relay and all the wiring to the DS strut tower
Ran the power and meth line through the interior. Jacking up the car was not an option at the time. The pump sits sideways under the trunk liner strapped in one of those half-dome openings with an aluminum strap that came with the tank.
OK to run the power line through the interior, but I'd reconsider doing same with the meth line.

Neil
Appreciate 0