E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Converting Vishnu PWM kit to use SS braided hoses and trunk mounted tank

05-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep
Drives: Stock E90

Converting Vishnu PWM kit to use SS braided hoses and trunk mounted tank

Hi Guys,

I have the PWM kit with the older pump.

With the recent increase in reported fires, I have decided to go trunk mount.

I am deciding between the following tanks.

1. http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...duct_info.html

2. http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...duct_info.html

3. http://www.howertonengineering.net/p...Enclosure.html

Option 1 has a neat and effective sight gauge, options 2 and 3 enclose the pump for a cleaner install. Options 1 and 2 seem safer than option 3 in terms of build quality and the fuel cell caps. I'm currently leaning towards options 1 or 2.

Regardless, I would go with any of the above options if they can work with the Vishnu PWM kit, stainless steel braided lines and better quality / heavy duty fittings.

From what I've read, the Aquamist pump does not play well with AN fittings?

Has anyone had any experience converting this way and can point me to the correct, compatible hoses and fittings (ie. What hoses to use and what size fittings are needed)?

Safety and reliability are more importance factors than pricing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I like option 2. I also have the Vishnu PWM (older pump) and I'd love to get this setup. It'd be nice to hear from someone with experience exactly what fittings to get, etc.

I took a look at everything and I'd assume we could get:
3. http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...c42/index.html (Various push fittings to down convert to the standard black tubing that we have already)

Anyone have any other opinions? This seems expensive, but a solid route nonetheless.
      05-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

I'm thinking about getting this one:

https://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisp...x?pid=Protank1

Gravity fed ftw!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post

Gravity fed ftw!
Just got mine, it's pretty well put together and they include everything you can think of. Tank comes pre-tapped and you just screw in the compression fitting. 2.3 gal FTW!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
Just got mine, it's pretty well put together and they include everything you can think of. Tank comes pre-tapped and you just screw in the compression fitting. 2.3 gal FTW!
Does it come with tubing or did you have to buy that separately? If so, how many feet do we need to run this from the trunk to our CP?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
amclint
boom
Rep

Quote:
Does it come with tubing or did you have to buy that separately? If so, how many feet do we need to run this from the trunk to our CP?
I bought mine from BMS but it looks like it was drop-shipped from Cooling Mist.

Came with what looks like 20 ft of tubing but you won't need all of it, a check valve, 2 90 degree push-in elbows, the tank and some screws.

To mount the pump in there you need to have/make a metal bracket, mine is a Cooling Mist pump so I had the bracket already (has 4 little rubber feet on it).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
werke-t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I also am in the same position as you with the older pump.

Planning on draining my WW tank today and planning to relocate tank, really looking forward to seeing other members setups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmeyer87 View Post
I like option 2. I also have the Vishnu PWM (older pump) and I'd love to get this setup. It'd be nice to hear from someone with experience exactly what fittings to get, etc.

I took a look at everything and I'd assume we could get:
3. http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...c42/index.html (Various push fittings to down convert to the standard black tubing that we have already)

Anyone have any other opinions? This seems expensive, but a solid route nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
werke-t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:

Gravity fed ftw!
wait, I was told that we should not relocate the pump.... only the tank?

we should be able to leave everything as-is and just setup a new tank/line.

Is there a reason why gravity fed is better? (sorry first meth kit here still learning)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Guys, is it necessary to move the pump to the back too?

Why not leave the pump in the engine bay but just relocate the tank to the back??
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
amclint
boom
Rep

The pump has a hard time pulling fluid that is lower than it, you can leave the pump under the engine bay but you will have to re-prime more often than if it's in the trunk and lower than the tank.

Additionally it's going to be cooler in the trunk most of the time, so if you're doing any kind of road courses this is better for prolonged meth use.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
NjRep335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

The pumps used in these kits are pusher pumps and not puller. The further away from the tank the more stress will be put on the pump. This can cause air bubbles, priming issues and inconsistency with pressure.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirelli View Post
Guys, is it necessary to move the pump to the back too?

Why not leave the pump in the engine bay but just relocate the tank to the back??
Don't know if it should be moved, but I would prefer to do so because the pump is another potential source of leaks and leaking in the engine bay is more likely to start a fire than the trunk (if you keep away from the battery) and the cooler temps will help with the life of the pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
I have actually put together 2 different kits on paper so far.

1) An underhood mini fuel cell with all 4an stainless lines, copper fittings, etc. It's mounted near the wheel well and the filler neck is basically a long 16-20 AN line which runs up into the engine bay and is then secured against something or basically tied up somewhere to stay in place. You put in a funnel and fill it up and then install a copper fitting to seal the hose after you are done. Throw a low level sensor into the fuel cell prior to mounting it and basically figure out how much methanol to add once the low level sensor goes off so there's no more guessing involved. Just not sure if I wanna go through the trouble of this yet. The tank will be vented to the wheel well.

2) A trunk mount kit using 4an fittings and lines everywhere. The only thing I haven't decided is how to tap a tank for 4an lines. Options are to use the normal quick connect and then an adapter to 4an, or to use a 4an bulkhead fitting, but I haven't used these before so I'll have to do some research on it.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
The pump has a hard time pulling fluid that is lower than it, you can leave the pump under the engine bay but you will have to re-prime more often than if it's in the trunk and lower than the tank.

Additionally it's going to be cooler in the trunk most of the time, so if you're doing any kind of road courses this is better for prolonged meth use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjRep335i View Post
The pumps used in these kits are pusher pumps and not puller. The further away from the tank the more stress will be put on the pump. This can cause air bubbles, priming issues and inconsistency with pressure.
Correct.

These pumps cant pull fluid that well. Maybe at 30-50 psi max.

So it's best when using a tank to mount it underneath.

The most reliable meth system I had was a simple 4 quart tank with the pump mounted below. Never had any air in the lines and always consistent flow.

For those not willing to listen you will soon find out
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Correct.

These pumps cant pull fluid that well. Maybe at 30-50 psi max.

So it's best when using a tank to mount it underneath.

The most reliable meth system I had was a simple 4 quart tank with the pump mounted below. Never had any air in the lines and always consistent flow.

For those not willing to listen you will soon find out
So if we were to go with a tank with the pump mounted below, would you be able to supply or know the correct steel braided lines, joints and other fittings to connect the tank to the pump and then to the jets? Specifically for Vishnu's PWM kit with the older Aquamist pump.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeavyFoot View Post
So if we were to go with a tank with the pump mounted below, would you be able to supply or know the correct steel braided lines, joints and other fittings to connect the tank to the pump and then to the jets? Specifically for Vishnu's PWM kit with the older Aquamist pump.
I do not know at this time as I'm not familiar with those systems personally.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I do not know at this time as I'm not familiar with those systems personally.
No worries Jeff. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

This guy was able to run all stainless lines using the Aquamist HFS-4 which is similar to the vishnu pwm kit

Here's a link to the aquamist site: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...t=2158&page=25

His name is 03 Biest, I'm sure you could ask him where he got the SS lines and fittings

Last edited by 805beemer; 05-31-2012 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: youtube link
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Some fittings/conversion ideas I had:

For the pump 3/8 NPT to -4AN fittings to allow the stainless lines to connect directly to the pump and for the solenoid I was going to get one from devil's own that is already setup for the stainless lines or use a solenoid that has female connections and not quick connects and then just use an NPT/AN fitting.

For the Nozzle you can get an AN nozzle holder.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

We really need a compiled list of exactly what is needed. The compression to AN fittings are the key.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
We really need a compiled list of exactly what is needed. The compression to AN fittings are the key.

Just asked my dad about this since he used to be a car nut, he pulled out an old school compression to AN6 fitting and told me how he used it on his old cars fuel system way back in the day.

If I had the PWM system he could tell me everything required to make the necessary adjustments he said and how to source the parts. Maybe someone can post a pic with all the parts that come in the PWM system for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought mine from BMS but it looks like it was drop-shipped from Cooling Mist.

Came with what looks like 20 ft of tubing but you won't need all of it, a check valve, 2 90 degree push-in elbows, the tank and some screws.

To mount the pump in there you need to have/make a metal bracket, mine is a Cooling Mist pump so I had the bracket already (has 4 little rubber feet on it).
wtf, I just got mine and it only came with the tank and this:

Maybe 1 foot of tubing...
Appreciate 0