E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Software: Powering the Fastest Cars on the Street and the Track!

05-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

GIAC Software: Powering the Fastest Cars on the Street and the Track!

To drive a car on a daily basis requires it to be reliable and consistent. To constantly drive a car at the limit on the racetrack requires a different level of durability and reliability. At GIAC, the emphasis is always placed on cars that deliver real world performance, while ensuring the well-being of your engine. By powering some of the world's top race cars, GIAC ensures that it's software can withstand anything thrown its way!

When developing software for BMW's, GIAC is able to extensively log and test each file before it is available to the public. For example, HP Autowerks ran a beta Stage 2 file that eventually led to our current Stage 2 offering. Further, teams such as Berk Technology and Evoution Racewerks dominate the race circuit utilizing the same software and tunes that are available to all. From the professional driver to the weekend warrior, GIAC shows that it is ready to perform from the second it is installed in your vehicle.

But what is performance without reliability? There is no challenge for an engine quite like the grueling environment of the racetrack. When the car is constantly being pushed to its limit, even the strongest wearable parts are tested. Over in New Zealand, Motorsport Services Limited is showing that GIAC software can take the abuse of endurance racing as well. Utilizing GIAC software on two 135i's, Motorsport Services made a great showing in this year's Armor All Bathurst 12 Hour. In a race in which many cars didn't even finish, all four Motorsport Services cars, with help from GIAC software, ripped through the finish line with ease.

GIAC software now stands the test of multiple racing seasons, and we can report nothing but winning results. With teams such as Berk Technology still running on the original engines and GIAC software (without further re-calibration), it is clear that you don't have to compromise reliability in the quest for better performance!

So if your car is ready to take the next step in performance, do it with GIAC software!

Some of the cars powered by GIAC software include:

GMG Racing's World Challenge Audi R8 LMS
  • First World Challenge R8 LMS
  • Debuted at the 2012 Grand Prix of Long Beach

Berk Technology BMW 135i
  • Competes in Redline Time Attack, Global Time Attack and MotoIQ Pacific Tuner Car Championships
  • Went undefeated in 2011
  • Four years of racing on the original motor and software
  • Holds division lap records at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs
  • Currently utilizing GIAC Stage 2 Race with water-methanol injection

Evolution Racewerks BMW 135i
  • Competes in Redline Pro Time Attack and Global Time Attack
  • Broke the class record at Firebird Raceway by nearly 6 seconds
  • Victories in 2 of 3 races in shortened 2011 season (One 2nd place finish)
  • Currently utilizing GIAC Stage 2 Race with water-methanol injection

HP Autowerks BMW 335i
  • Competes in Redline Pro Time Attack
  • Podium finish in first ever race
  • Currently utilizing GIAC Stage 2 software

Motorsport Services Limited BMW 135i (2)
  • Competed in the 2012 Armor All Bathurst 12 Hour
  • Finished 15th and 17th overall, running BMW 135i's

Motorsport Services Limited Porsche 996 Cup
  • Finished 8th overall and 3rd in class in the 2012 Armor All Bathurst 12 Hour

Motorsport Services Limited Porsche 997 Cup
  • Finished 5th overall and 2nd in class in the 2012 Armor All Bathurst 12 Hour

Motorsport Services Limited Porsche 996 Turbo (2)
  • Competed in the 2011 VIP Pet Foods Endurance Series
  • Finished 2nd and 3rd place overall
  • Averaged speeds of 140 km/h throughout the 12 hour race

GIAC would like to wish our race teams continued success, and we look forward to increasing dominance!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Wduck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan, auto black

Will GIAC ever offer a fuel saver map for long trips so I could just use the flash loader to switch out to occasionally? Not that the 335i sucks fuel at highway speeds but it would be nice to squeeze out every bit of mileage you could get from a gallon when the extra power isn't needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppybutt View Post
Will GIAC ever offer a fuel saver map for long trips so I could just use the flash loader to switch out to occasionally? Not that the 335i sucks fuel at highway speeds but it would be nice to squeeze out every bit of mileage you could get from a gallon when the extra power isn't needed.
If you are in the vacuum, mileage is pretty much the maximum efficiency. The next steps from there would be gearing or cylinder deactivation. To my knowledge, nobody has looked into cylinder deavtivation and it honestly isn't something that we are prioritizing.

If anything, where you would look to save economy is under load. This is where the fuel is drained. In my car, I have used water-methanol to run a leaner fuel mixture, but then you get into a whole different pricing with methanol. Until the Porsche 918 is here, I don't think we'll ever have a supercar Prius
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does GIAC plan to explore any possibilities in bringing a map that can take advantage of E85 or even a mix of E85 and pump gas?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC View Post
If you are in the vacuum, mileage is pretty much the maximum efficiency. The next steps from there would be gearing or cylinder deactivation. To my knowledge, nobody has looked into cylinder deavtivation and it honestly isn't something that we are prioritizing.

If anything, where you would look to save economy is under load. This is where the fuel is drained. In my car, I have used water-methanol to run a leaner fuel mixture, but then you get into a whole different pricing with methanol. Until the Porsche 918 is here, I don't think we'll ever have a supercar Prius
This was the best presentation thread for GIAC. Very nice ! It's really comforting to know that GIAC-powered N54 cars finished a 12-hour race.

As far as fuel efficiency, the BMW's new Eco Pro mode present in many of their new models alters the throttle mapping such that high fuel efficiency is achieved. The engine feels "lazier" but the method works very well in town and also on highways on overtaking, etc. Basically it saves the driver for being constantly focused to accelerate very slowly.

I imagine that this could be easily done by a tuning company with a few days of work and testing (or just stealing the Eco Pro throttle mapping from a new model 335i ECU ). I would gladly replace my "Stock" map (or Valet map) on the switcher to an Economy map (I never use the Stock map anyway). This would also be a great marketing differentiator for GIAC

Last edited by cstavaru; 05-23-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
Does GIAC plan to explore any possibilities in bringing a map that can take advantage of E85 or even a mix of E85 and pump gas?
I covered this in another thread, but at this point E85 is not in the plans. To run an ideal AFR of E85 would require significant amounts of fueling. While the injectors and HPFP do flow adequately, we are still observing the LPFP.

In our software, as well as with our racing teams, we prefer to run water-methanol over an E85 blend.

Personally, I am interested in the use of water-ethanol as the comparisons between this and ethanol have been inconculsive. As of yet, I do not have any logs on this but I plan to take some on my S4.

I would expect to see us release upgraded turbo maps before we would consider ethanol. These maps will likely encompass the use of water-methanol as well. At this time, we certainly have plans for this but I really cannot comment on a timeable. Anything new that comes from us will certainly be posted on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
This was the best presentation thread for GIAC. Very nice ! It's really comforting to know that GIAC-powered N54 cars finished a 12-hour race.

As far as fuel efficiency, the BMW's new Eco Pro mode present in many of their new models alters the throttle mapping such that high fuel efficiency is achieved. The engine feels "lazier" but the method works very well in town and also on highways on overtaking, etc. Basically it saves the driver for being constantly focused to accelerate very slowly.

I imagine that this could be easily done by a tuning company with a few days of work and testing (or just stealing the Eco Pro throttle mapping from a new model 335i ECU ). I would gladly replace my "Stock" map (or Valet map) on the switcher to an Economy map (I never use the Stock map anyway). This would also be a great marketing differentiator for GIAC
Catalin,

We will certainly discuss it, but I would be lying if I said it has already been considered. I know I can count on you to test such a file though!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Wduck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Has the GIAC stage 2 software changed since last Dec.? I've purchased stage 2 flashes for 2 cars but I've never heard from the company. I didn't know if they would keep me up to date with info. On the plus side, I now have 2 flash loaders!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
The nearest GIAC dealer to me is Suncoast VW/Audi/Porsche dealer, are they equipped to handle this?

BTW, back in my B5 S4 days, this tune was pretty aggressive, which I like Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has the GIAC stage 2 software changed since last Dec.? I've purchased stage 2 flashes for 2 cars but I've never heard from the company. I didn't know if they would keep me up to date with info. On the plus side, I now have 2 flash loaders!
The GIAC Stage 2 has not changed since last December. To make sure you are up to date on the latest info, please refer to our press releases on giacusa.com, as well as our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/GIAC/48483736228).

I will also try to keep everyone on the forum in the loop by posting our newest offerings on here!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
The nearest GIAC dealer to me is Suncoast VW/Audi/Porsche dealer, are they equipped to handle this?

BTW, back in my B5 S4 days, this tune was pretty aggressive, which I like Keep up the good work!
Yes, all of our dealers are equipped to handle the N54 software flash. We design our system so that all flashes follow the same process. As such, if a dealer knows the process to flash one car, they know the process to flash them all.

I can relate to you on the B5 S4! I love it so much that I am still running my Stage 3 GIAC file
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Wduck
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Is there a meth kit that the GIAC software will control? I'm looking to get a FMIC and a meth setup within a month.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a meth kit that the GIAC software will control? I'm looking to get a FMIC and a meth setup within a month.
Our software is compatible with any water-methanol system. To give you a perspective, Berk Technology currently utilizes our Stage 2 software with AEM water-methanol injection, while Evolution Racewerks uses Snow Performance.

These are both being run on the Stage 2 Race (100 octane) file, as this is made to be compatible with both 100 octane, as well as 91/93 octane with 50/50 water-methanol.

If you would like more information about a possible water-methanol setup, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Bump for GIAC.. ran stg 2 on my former 335i..Great reflash.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Will there ever be a flash-at-home device?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Will there ever be a flash-at-home device?
It is certainly being discussed, but there are other obstacles that would need to be worked out before this would be available
Appreciate 0