E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > BFWD - attracting WAY WAY too much dust/dirt

05-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
BFWD - attracting WAY WAY too much dust/dirt

So my dad said ever since I put sealant on his car it's always dirtier and that the beaded rain droplets always leave dirt marks all over his car.

So I decided to strip my hood and then put squares of BFWD and holllllyyyy cooooooooooooow. The areas without BFWD still look black and freshly washed, whereas the boxes of BFWD have a LAAAYER of visible dirt.

It's not even something only an OCD person would notice, you can literally see dirty squares on the hood just walking past it casually. I guess since I always had my car garage parked I never noticed it as much.

I'm going to wash the car and see if the results are the same, I'm thinking maybe it happens only with a fresh coat and after the effects might lessen after a week or two.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S

Last edited by Dr. G; 05-16-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
So I decided to strip my hood and then put squares of BFWD and holllllyyyy cooooooooooooow. The areas with BFWD still look black and freshly washed, whereas the boxes of BFWD have a LAAAYER of visible dirt.

It's not even something only an OCD person would notice, you can literally see dirty squares on the hood just walking past it casually. I guess since I always had my car garage parked I never noticed it as much.

I'm going to wash the car and see if the results are the same, I'm thinking maybe it happens only with a fresh coat and after the effects might lessen after a week or two.
Explain that again??? What is the difference between "areas WITH BFWD" vs "boxes of BFWD"???
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by project6 View Post
Explain that again??? What is the difference between "areas WITH BFWD" vs "boxes of BFWD"???
+1

I've never had an issue with BFWD. Here's my BSM E90 with BFWD on top of swirls: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661895
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Sorry I meant the areas without BFWD remain very clean whereas the areas with BFWD are VERY VERY VERY noticably dirty and dusty. You can see it from a distance a different coloured patch on the hood.

I taped off squares and applied BFWD to test my dads theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
+1

I've never had an issue with BFWD. Here's my BSM E90 with BFWD on top of swirls: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661895
I've been using bfwd for a while too, but since it's on the full car you can't really notice if it's attractin more/less dust. I've noticed similar results with carnuba's before, but I was very surprised by the BFWD.

I wish I had a good cam to capture the results. I showed it to another forum member and even he was surprised. The non-BFWD/stripped areas look normal, whereas the boxes in which I applied BFWD are noticably dirtier and have like a dusty/dirt layer.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Aah, okay, that makes more sense. Could it be because of static electricity build up? That would explain the attraction of dust to the treated areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

wow thats crazy. BFWD is my GOTO for sealant too..might have to switch it up. Let us know what you find
      05-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Aah, okay, that makes more sense. Could it be because of static electricity build up? That would explain the attraction of dust to the treated areas.
Well what I'm thinking is that it MIGHT be from static charge buildup when removing the product with a microfiber towel. I am going to give the car a wash on the weekend and then see if I get the same results.

I will do some test spots with FK-425 as well to see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Well what I'm thinking is that it MIGHT be from static charge buildup when removing the product with a microfiber towel. I am going to give the car a wash on the weekend and then see if I get the same results.

I will do some test spots with FK-425 as well to see if it helps.
If you are seeing this after applying BFWD and BEFORE any kind of wash, I would be willing to bet it is static. I notice the same thing after applying Zaino AIO or Z2. In the days immediately following application there is definitely a tendency to attract more dust. This problem goes away after the first wash. I suspect you would see this with about any product due to the static electricity buildup.

If I have the time the day after a sealant application I will spray the car off with clear water and wipe it down with some quick detailer to get rid of this static.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
Reflections
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Beater

With a product that hazes and dries using a microfiber to remove it I found there to be so much more static to the surface. Some people like to follow up with a quick detailer and a cotton baby diaper- they are extremely soft! But again, I wouldn't be able to state that it makes a difference dramatically as I have not tried this.

The reason that BFWD appears dirty is that water on an uncoated surface has a different surface tension. It sheets as the water combine easily, increasing the tendency for it to drip off your car. When the water beads up, the weight of that bead/droplet is low so it stays and dries on the car. This is a reason that beading is not the ideal way for a sealant, but the nature of an extremely smooth area is to bead water.
Appreciate 0