F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 For F30 335
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

JB4 For F30 335

This is an impressive tune: http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_Stage2_Jb4.html with on the fly map selections. Wow! Didnt know BMW's were this modifiable and specially on the fly.

Im really curious to know if burger tuning will release a JB4 for the f30 anytime soon? an additional 60HP to the wheels (80 to the engine) is just whoa! And this is on a completely stock 335.

What do ppl think?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
MiloMia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

sooner or later he will.
      05-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

I've asked Terry about this... He said that due to the DME change in the F30, they have to start from square 1 with the programming. Hopefully soon. I know they are working on the N20 tune as well.

Don't forget the BMW PPK is coming out in December as well. While not the same power increase, you won't have any potential warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Don't forget the BMW PPK is coming out in December as well. While not the same power increase, you won't have any potential warranty issues.
Well apparently JB4 can go undetected and can erase error codes. ALSO, what really attracts me to the JB 4 is the on the fly map selection. So if im not feeling like spirited driving, i can just bypass to stock settings or better yet, the "economy" map, which apparently helps save even more fuel... very interesting tune. Can't wait to get this thing when its released And it costs less than $600 where the PPk will likely be like $1200 or so..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodleecyrb View Post
^the jb4 for the n54 and the n55 STILL doesn't control/tune the ignition timing. it just increases the boost over 100% of stock psi. on the stock timing curve <---- this is the concerning part

personally, i wouldn't want to run an incomplete or inconsistent tune on my new $50k f30. i'd recommend waiting for the vishnu procede piggyback, cobb tuning accessport, or another flash
Plz elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
Plz elaborate.
all the jb4 does is increase boost, add fuel to adjust air/fuel ratio. it doesn't touch, modify, control, or otherwise do anything with the igntion timing. a real tune does all those (boost, a/f, ignition timing, etc). running the stock ignition timing map is somewhat dangerous while running higher boost. BMS' tuning methodology consists of increasing boost while riding the knock sensor. not a gamble i'd want to make on a $50k f30.

vishnu will release a procede, that controls timing. cobb accessport will also release their product for the f30. you will have to wait longer for these two products, but the wait will be well worth it knowing that you're running a comprehensive tune that's not riding the knock sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
MiloMia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
all the jb4 does is increase boost, add fuel to adjust air/fuel ratio. it doesn't touch, modify, control, or otherwise do anything with the igntion timing. a real tune does all those (boost, a/f, ignition timing, etc). running the stock ignition timing map is somewhat dangerous while running higher boost. BMS' tuning methodology consists of increasing boost while riding the knock sensor. not a gamble i'd want to make on a $50k f30.

vishnu will release a procede, that controls timing. cobb accessport will also release their product for the f30. you will have to wait longer for these two products, but the wait will be well worth it knowing that you're running a comprehensive tune that's not riding the knock sensor.
Very well said.
      05-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I need to do more research bc again I didnt understand a word you said!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I need to do more research bc again I didnt understand a word you said!
the first post in this thread will help:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493245
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
the first post in this thread will help:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493245
Wow thanks. I read the whole thread , I was looking for something like this to learn more about tuning etc.

Maybe I should ask this question on that forum but if I did ever get JB4 on the F30, I wouldn't go past map 1 and maybe map 8 (economy map) and will probably have it on map 0 (stock tune) mostly.

Do you think riding the knock sensor On map 1 will be problematic? Im not going to be racing here, just occasionally making a porsche feel stupid at the red light
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks. I read the whole thread , I was looking for something like this to learn more about tuning etc.

Maybe I should ask this question on that forum but if I did ever get JB4 on the F30, I wouldn't go past map 1 and maybe map 8 (economy map) and will probably have it on map 0 (stock tune) mostly.

Do you think riding the knock sensor On map 1 will be problematic? Im not going to be racing here, just occasionally making a porsche feel stupid at the red light
I think you have to be honest with yourself. Do you really want to do this to a $60k car?

I have my 335 already, and it's fast as $#@%. I already got a speeding ticket. More power than ANYONE will ever need on the street. I'm not knocking a tune (in fact i'll probably get a BMW PPK), but be patient. The car in stock form will not dissapoint, so unless you're taking it from the dealer to the drag strip have some patience, and see which is the safest way to do this. You'd hate to have a massive engine issue, and be refused warranty work. Hence my vote for the PPK's slightly more modest gains.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Id recommend waiting for the procede or accessport
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
bosz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think you have to be honest with yourself. Do you really want to do this to a $60k car?

I have my 335 already, and it's fast as $#@%. I already got a speeding ticket. More power than ANYONE will ever need on the street. I'm not knocking a tune (in fact i'll probably get a BMW PPK), but be patient. The car in stock form will not dissapoint, so unless you're taking it from the dealer to the drag strip have some patience, and see which is the safest way to do this. You'd hate to have a massive engine issue, and be refused warranty work. Hence my vote for the PPK's slightly more modest gains.
It does have all the power but I yearn for even more HP/Torque. I think if JB4 doesnt cause too much damage I may just get it. I'm understanding the whole knock sensor ridin thing but Im not always going to be on Map 1 or more. Will mostly be in bypass and once a while ill unleash the dormant beast on the fly! I think for those who always plan to be on a certain aggresive map, avoid JB4 because its more a short term (and cheaper) solution vs Cobb or Vishnu Procede etc
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
This is an impressive tune: http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_Stage2_Jb4.html with on the fly map selections. Wow! Didnt know BMW's were this modifiable and specially on the fly.

Im really curious to know if burger tuning will release a JB4 for the f30 anytime soon? an additional 60HP to the wheels (80 to the engine) is just whoa! And this is on a completely stock 335.

What do ppl think?
I know BMS is working on F30 development but due to the new DME configuration will most likely release a Stage1 tune first, which is a single map system that does not have the integrated wheel controls. It's still a lot more fun than stock!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'm sure many F30Post readers here have figured out there are a handful of BMS haters who go around in every thread and forum making these false claims. I'd suggest anyone who is considering an N55 tune visit the E90Post N55 forum and discuss it with people who have actually the products. For the technical angles you can visit BMS' forum and get it straight from the horses mouth. Many N55 customers have been switching to BMS lately from other tunes for their superior features, performance, support, and integration. And yes Bryce the N55 JB4 tuning also offers CPS for those who still believe in it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I had the JB3 in my 135i for 3 years without any problems. I left the chip in my car during scheduled maintenance and my dealer didn't say a word.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I'm sure many F30Post readers here have figured out there are a handful of BMS haters who go around in every thread and forum making these false claims. I'd suggest anyone who is considering an N55 tune visit the E90Post N55 forum and discuss it with people who have actually the products. For the technical angles you can visit BMS' forum and get it straight from the horses mouth. Many N55 customers have been switching to BMS lately from other tunes for their superior features, performance, support, and integration. And yes Bryce the N55 JB4 tuning also offers CPS for those who still believe in it.

Mike
Mike,

Do you know of a ballpark ETA for the Stage 1 F30 tune? Are we looking at a month, 6 months, a year?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mike,

Do you know of a ballpark ETA for the Stage 1 F30 tune? Are we looking at a month, 6 months, a year?
I don't know the ETA but they are looking for local alpha test cars in the Simi Valley, CA area. The more cars they get the faster initial Stage1 testing will be.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

I'm not sure if I agree with you, Mike. If a prospective customer uses a vendor as his only source of information, he's not likely to get the full picture because of the business interests involved. This is the best place to get a full and fair view. Also I'm not sure why Mike isn't suggesting you go to the N54 section on E90 post. There are people running JB4's, Procede's and Cobbs there who are very active. The N55 section is a ghost town.

Mike, are you no longer a vendor on here? I thought I remember it saying gold level sponsor next to your name, now it says LT.

EDIT: oh wait, just realized I'm in F30post. Do you have to pay separate vendor fee's across the forums?
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212

Last edited by Laguna Seca Blue; 05-22-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Also, Mike, I just noticed another thing. Why do you keep referring to BMS as "they" shouldn't you be saying "us"? You are remunerated by BMS, correct?

Lastly, don't you think your username and signature are a little decieving? When I was new to these forums, I actually thought you were a source for all N54 tunes and products.

A lot of the posters above are right, do your research carefully. You guys own very expensive machines and you don't want to do anything to mess up your brand new cars. Yes, BMS is first to market with the N20 tune, but its based on very crude technology.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Bottom line: burger tuning just copies everything that Vishnu does. They are always in a rushto release a half assed attempt at a tune for a new platform (n55 stage 1, for example). They'll slowly release features as the months (years?) Go by that should have been there from day one. Meanwhile, Vishnu and Cobb do actual r&d (instead of just copying) id much rather support the innovators versus a knock off attempt at a tune
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread