E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I think my fuel pump took a dump...BUT

06-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Exclamation I think my fuel pump took a dump...BUT

First, let me just say that the only symptom of fuel pump failure, which I've been seeing for quite some time now is, rough idle after startup...especially if car is not totally cooled down. Do have a piggyback, but don't think this has anything to do with it.
So, I was driving at normal speed (80) on the highway last night and car went into limp mode. I had not been driving aggressively at all. I shut down and restarted...no problem, everything back to normal (just like the 3 previous times within 3 months or so). I go to wash my car this morning and usually I let the engine warm a bit, but I was only moving it like 10 feet, so I threw it in reverse right after crank-up and the car started shaking worse than normal...didn't really think much of it. I finished washing and started the car...almost immediately i get the reduced power light...shut it down...restarted and this time there was no reduced power, but the SES light was now aboard. I have had that light show up before as well and usually if you restart the car like three times it goes away. This time to no avail. Now i'm thinking its the pump, so I take the car out for a spin. I drove it like I stole to see what would happen. The car drove just fine, however the SES light is still there.
I probably need to bring it in to the dealership anyways, because I have a light malfunction, but I must take apart something in the engine compartment that might take some time.
Do I wing it, and try to stress the pump out so it dies, or should i just remove the piggy and bring it in? Like I said, right now the car was driving fine for like 20 minutes, but that light bothers me. Any ideas????
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

First thing would be to ask the vendor of your piggy what they recommend trying. It's a bit tough to diagnose from the description of your symptoms, but I would take your unit out and have the dealer check out the codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep

update

update: Let car rest for 1 hour or so and restarted...NO LIGHT... not quite sure wtf is going on..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You're pissing in the wind. You need to scan the code and make a decision based on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
soma4u
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm actually quite talented at pissing in the wind Terry...thanks for commenting though. If the SES light goes on, does the computer store the code even if the light is gone?? Hasn't come back up, but start-up idle is pretty rough.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma4u View Post
I'm actually quite talented at pissing in the wind Terry...thanks for commenting though. If the SES light goes on, does the computer store the code even if the light is gone?? Hasn't come back up, but start-up idle is pretty rough.
Yes, it will. Autozone has free code readers as do some other parts stores, or pony up $50 for one at Harbor Freight or on eBay. If you want full scanning capability get Auterra Dynoscan (the newer ISO/CAN version works with our cars).
Appreciate 0