E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Which dampers?

05-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Question Which dampers?

Car is 5 years old and rapidly approaching 100k and I have money burning a hole in my pocket that I've earmarked for new suspension. My last car was running Bilstein B6 & Eibach Pro-Kit and I loved it, but buying them separately works out quite expensive so this time I was thinking the B12 kit.

Then I started reading back through some old threads on here, and happened on the Birds suspension writeup. There's no way I want to pay over £1k for parts only, but I was intrigued by their idea of using softer rear suspension with a stiffer RARB.

It's not realistically possible to buy a set of springs with softer rears, so I wondered whether using softer rear dampers would have a similar benefit - then doing something like using B6 or B8 at the front, B4S at the back?

If it has any bearing, the next step is going to be M3 wishbones and lower control arms for the front fairly soon, then rear subframe bushes and ARBs in the future when I can face paying a garage to do it...

And is there anything else I should be changing while the car's in bits? Drop links maybe?

TIA
      05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I had a good play as I do with most of my cars - I like playing with chassis tuning.
Settled back on B4 Sports with Eibachs for comfort and control. Like a new car

The B6 were hard as hell on these same coils - not good on bumpy B's - only fine on smooth circuits really.
      05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Thanks - that's pretty much what I'm after.

I haven't had the luxury of mixing and matching springs & dampers on the same car to be able to compare, and it's hard to imagine how the difference feels. The B6/Pro-kit setup I used to run was firm, but I'd always associated firmness with control - be interesting to see what the difference feels like.