F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First impressions of F30
proTUNING Freaks

05-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

First impressions of F30

There are now a few owners who have had their F30s for a while. How about whetting the appetites of those who are still waiting with some (unbiased??) reviews.

How are the new run flats?

Is the new electric steering up to it?

Is the turbo4 in the 328i an adequate replacement for the iconic straight 6?

There have been some criticism in reviews of the standard suspension set up. What are your thoughts.

I eagerly await any of your replies.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

After 5,000 kms
I haven't seen any issues with the run flats
The electric power steering works flawlessly, and to my surprise, i could barely see the difference with a regular hydraulic power steering.
As for the standard suspension, it worked wonderfully to keep 3 persons with all their luggages happy and toss free on the green Hell!
and based only on pro review, the turbo 4, mated with the 8AT, is kicking ass of the previous 6cyl 328i.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Of Course yours is a 335i. A bit more power again than the 328! But a bit too pricey for me so I will settle for the 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
How are the new run flats?

Is the new electric steering up to it?

Is the turbo4 in the 328i an adequate replacement for the iconic straight 6?

There have been some criticism in reviews of the standard suspension set up. What are your thoughts.

I eagerly await any of your replies.
Same sort of questions when taking out a 328i on an extended test drive.

Driving 80 miles on all kinds of roads and surfaces, I came back convinced this car is one sorted motor.

Demo example was running 18" wheels and have to say the best run-flat shod BMW I've ever driven in. Couldn't find the typical run-flat issues and I was searching hard.

Steering a bit light for my taste, but precise and balanced feeback, no issue in normal comfort setting. Totally at home after a couple of miles.

N20 is certainly no six cylinder, but superb refined performance, good mid range where it really matters as a daily driver. Quite easy to get good economy. Less weight up front makes for a more agile chassis, so there are gains in driving pleasure for having a 4-pot up front.

Standard suspension is well sorted, works well on a wide range of surfaces. Where it does lack, IMO, is when you start pressing on, then it is too soft and can feel a bit bouncy.

I'm sold on the 328i, waiting for the wagon here in the UK. But I'll be having the Adaptive sport-suspension as I'd want both the comfort for average driving, and the sport setting for the times I'm out for a real drive.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

My take:

The new run flats are great. The have a nice ride and absorb the bumps very well compared to older generations.

I have no issues with the steering. It does take a little getting used to and there is a little less feel but after while you adjust to it.

I love the turbo 4. It is never short on power and sounds good (excpet at idle). I will say that it isn't as smooth as the 6 but the additional power and efficiency more than make up for that IMO.

As for the suspension, it is softer. With that, you realize that there is more body roll and a cushier drive. At first it felt too soft until you realize that if you really start to whip the car into turns, the suspension is only soft to a point and the car still handles like a BMW. Everyone who test drives one should be forced to take a few aggressive turs to see the beauty underneath the cushy ride.